Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

We may not be in a position to chose if WE want to trade him.

Remember, he is from WA, his better half is from WA, now with him in Melbourne but we all know how these things pan out when both are from the same state, don't we!

Yep. They go home to end their careers get dropped to the 2s and become the scapegoat for sour old bunch of flogs

Young bodies isn't the issue.

We aren't playing with any youthful exuberance, there's no dare, no confidence in the way we're playing, particularly forward of the ball.

I don't think the boys are enjoying playing footy. Bolts and Co need to strip everything back and find a way to make the game fun. These brain fades and second guesses are costing us and I think if the coaches spent some time releasing the pressure valve at training it may all click.

So, yeah. Unpopular opinion is that this won't improve unless the coaching panel changes their approach to training and match prep.

Young bodies isn't the issue.

We aren't playing with any youthful exuberance, there's no dare, no confidence in the way we're playing, particularly forward of the ball.

I don't think the boys are enjoying playing footy. Bolts and Co need to strip everything back and find a way to make the game fun. These brain fades and second guesses are costing us and I think if the coaches spent some time releasing the pressure valve at training it may all click.

So, yeah. Unpopular opinion is that this won't improve unless the coaching panel changes their approach to training and match prep.
From my years of watching footy as an armchair expert, you generally associate young teams with dare and exuberance. You look at our guys with time and space around 50 and there's a multitude of thoughts running through their heads.

Are we again making the game more complicated than it needs to be?

From my years of watching footy as an armchair expert, you generally associate young teams with dare and exuberance. You look at our guys with time and space around 50 and there's a multitude of thoughts running through their heads.

Are we again making the game more complicated than it needs to be?
Don't think it's over complication. Similar but they look like they need to refresh. After 4 weeks of footy!! Coaches have overloaded this group, whether it be instructions or pressure... Too hard to tell.

Don't think it's over complication. Similar but they look like they need to refresh. After 4 weeks of footy!! Coaches have overloaded this group, whether it be instructions or pressure... Too hard to tell.
Look what happens with a bit of freedom given to the young groups up in Queensland. Defensive game plans always draw more heat when the wins don’t come. In soccer look what happens to Mourinho the minute results dry up? He loses the playing group and eventually gets the sack.

Unpopular and controversial opinion perhaps.

If we had Kruze or Pruess/McKay rucking instead Lobbe/Levi we’d be 2-2. Why we didn’t throw $500k at Pruess is beyond me

Because we already are paying Lobbe $500k a year. If any player wants a big pay rise, get Lobbe's agent involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy has been an admirable leader and a fine servant of the Carlton Football Club.

I’ll go even further. He’s a bloody Carlton legend.

Of all our players, Murph chose the club. He could have gone to a Brisbane team 2 years removed from a triple premiership, played for his fathers team alongside Brown, Power, etc. He chose the Blues, and a long rebuild that eventually didn’t pan out.

Then, when all the rest left, he stayed. Judd retired, Gibbs left, Waite left, Betts left, Fev was gone. Murphy stuck around and captained us at our lowest point. He could have easily taken the offers that were there and we wouldn’t have begrudged it. He chose to stick and do the hard yards.

He has copped multiple broken bones and injuries, copped a pounding playing on the inside and as a leader during the rebuild, rather than a Brent Harvey style retirement on the wing. Put his body on the line so that younger guys didn’t have to.

And now he’s become a whipping boy. Seriously, it’s embarassing to see the way he is treated by Carlton supporters. Should be our Nathan Jones or Bob Murphy and I hope he plays 3 more years and we pinch a flag to reward his loyalty

For all the grief directed at Polson, is LOB performing any better? Are we staring at a wasted pick 10?

How nice would Ed Richards be running off half-back now?
Too early to be making comparisons like that. I mean we could ask these questions about half the team after copping loses. People must be sick of the word "patience" especially this week but it really needs to be considered. End of season the club will assess accordingly.

For all the grief directed at Polson, is LOB performing any better? Are we staring at a wasted pick 10?

I didn't like the pick at the time and so far nothing has been shown to convince me otherwise. LOB seems like a nice enough kid, but he's not shown why he was worthy of a top 30 pick yet, let alone top 10.

Re: Murphy

Great servant - no doubt, intense loyalty and passion for the club.

Great leader - nope, was made captain and kept captain because we were bereft of options and Cripps/Docherty weren’t ready for the role.

I’d also be shocked if we got 3 more years out of him. He’s very much on the decline, and genuinely struggles some weeks. For a guy who used to be the best decision maker in the team (as a teenager no less) his lack of composure at times is alarming.

He’s got an average footy IQ, but he’s elite athletically and has an amazing left foot.

At worst he’ll be a good role player, at best who genuinely knows? Still a heap of development ahead.

Polson won’t amount to anything IMO, but he was a latish draft pick and gets games based on our appalling small forward depth. Doesn’t deserve the vitriol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back