Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

REALLY unpopular opinion: I'm glad things turned out the way they did and that the Crows came into existence. They're the perfect rival for us. They're the antithesis of everything we stand for in a way that Norwood, Glenelg etc aren't and could never be. I would never despise Norwood or any other SANFL team as much as I despise the Crows. But I'm glad it worked out the way it did, because football fandom needs someone to hate.

Yeah nah feck Norwood and feck Glenelg.

There was alot of anger about the European superleague my comment was along the lines of (for arsenal) would you rather be port Adelaide and take ya chances or be Norwood and get left behind... I know my opinion I would rather port Adelaide playing in the top league then Norwood who are now irrelevant.

There's no way on earth the SANFL recommended changing Adelaide to Norwood in terms of club name, the Norwood supporter base doesn't dwarf the support they garnered from 8 other clubs it's utter nonsense.

According to Stephen Rowe half our supporter base is Norwood supporters who didn't want to support the crows.

The Norwood Crows thing sounds like utter rubbish tbh I'd need to see facts, the Crows supporter base is basically founded from 9 clubs Norwood supporters are only a section of that support.
It was certainly media speculation: I remember seeing a mock up in the Advertiser of Tony Modra and a doctored Crows jumper of red, navy blue & Sturt blue
That's exactly why I don't prefer them as rivals. Who wants a respectable rival? I don't want to respect them, I want to despise them.
not hard to despise Norwood

Perfect world for me would have been Port & Norwood into the AFL in 1991, and a composite side (Adelaide) representing the other SANFL clubs down the track (1997 perhaps)

I found this earlier what bumper crowds Norwood would've brought to the AFL eh.. worth watching the first few minutes for Jacko

I found this earlier what bumper crowds Norwood would've brought to the AFL eh.. worth watching the first few minutes for Jacko

I fast forwarded to a random spot somewhere close to the start to hear Ian Day talking up what a brilliant player Phil "Gutless Gags" Gallagher was. That was enough for me.

I fast forwarded to a random spot somewhere close to the start to hear Ian Day talking up what a brilliant player Phil "Gutless Gags" Gallagher was. That was enough for me.

So courageous was Phil he set a world record for running faster backwards than forwards.

With all due respect finny that just has to be respected.

You'd have to be absolutely filthy as a Norwood supporter now wouldn't you? What an awful blown chance. Arguably the most gutless failure from a club administration in the history of the game.

Living in an area where I am surrounded by them you would not believe the contortions they get themselves into trying to convince you and themselves that they really were better off staying in the SANFL playing "real Footy". Delusional barely scratches the surface ...

Bruce Abernathy mentioned it in his book about us getting into the AFL that the SANFL recommended precisely that but that the Crows refused.

Yep. The SANFL issued a strategy document report on 9 July 1994 that stated that IF Port Adelaide was to be awarded the 2nd SA based AFL licence then the Adelaide Crows should be 'adopted' by the Norwood Football club (move to Norwood Oval) to provide both clubs with an equal footing.

The author of this document and that suggestion in particular has never been identified but my money was on Bob Hammond who was Crows Chair at the time.

That strategy document was released just 2 weeks after the SANFL 'Future Directions' report (which recommended awarding the 2nd SA licence to an amalgamation of 2 clubs - a criteria which was only met by one of the bids - the Sturt-Norwood bid) and given the 2 documents contradict each other it seems likely to me that the strategy document was an internal document that was never meant to be released publicly. It did not go unnoticed that the Norwood Football Club would be the winner in both alternative scenarios ;)

It's all a bit academic because the Crows were never going to shift from their West Lakes base and the old jealousies of the other SANFL clubs were never going to agree to Norwood taking a greater share of the glory than the rest of them.

The idea and the strategy document got coverage in the local press that week but died soon after.

Living in an area where I am surrounded by them you would not believe the contortions they get themselves into trying to convince you and themselves that they really were better off staying in the SANFL playing "real Footy".

Just show them the famous picture of then Norwood President Nerio Ferraro when the public announcement was made of Port gaining entry to the AFL in December 1994. Does that look like a man happy for his club to be forever relegated to playing 'real footy' in the 'burbs forever?

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 12.22.03 am.png

Norwood along with us would at least help against the VFL narrative as at least there would be one other interstate club to buddy up with.

Unpopular opinion

Our performance in the night series stuff since the ticketies means maybe we either weren't any good on a national level, or showed no real ambition to be anything more than an SA powerhouse that phoned it in.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. The SANFL issued a strategy document report on 9 July 1994 that stated that IF Port Adelaide was to be awarded the 2nd SA based AFL licence then the Adelaide Crows should be 'adopted' by the Norwood Football club (move to Norwood Oval) to provide both clubs with an equal footing.

The author of this document and that suggestion in particular has never been identified but my money was on Bob Hammond who was Crows Chair at the time.

That strategy document was released just 2 weeks after the SANFL 'Future Directions' report (which recommended awarding the 2nd SA licence to an amalgamation of 2 clubs - a criteria which was only met by one of the bids - the Sturt-Norwood bid) and given the 2 documents contradict each other it seems likely to me that the strategy document was an internal document that was never meant to be released publicly. It did not go unnoticed that the Norwood Football Club would be the winner in both alternative scenarios ;)

It's all a bit academic because the Crows were never going to shift from their West Lakes base and the old jealousies of the other SANFL clubs were never going to agree to Norwood taking a greater share of the glory than the rest of them.

The idea and the strategy document got coverage in the local press that week but died soon after.
Cheers for that it sounds more like a floated pie in the sky from a Norwood flog than a serious recommendation, I wonder if there were some that felt West Lakes wasn't the right long term locale for them even then?

Just show them the famous picture of then Norwood President Nerio Ferraro when the public announcement was made of Port gaining entry to the AFL in December 1994. Does that look like a man happy for his club to be forever relegated to playing 'real footy' in the 'burbs forever?

View attachment 1141053
Always loved that photo.
Burn in hell, all you sanctimonious Norwood ****s.
"Oh no. We would never abandon the SANFL" - like hell.

I kept the pic I mentioned in my post above:
View attachment 1141209
My caption (probably based on the article in the Advertiser) for this was: "Computer enhanced photo. Possible 'East Adelaide' (Norwood-Sturt) Crows. 11/1/95"

It has a bit of a Centrals vibe but doesn’t actually look half bad.

Norwood sent this state back 20 years with their lack of Balls. Imagine Port, Norwood and the Bays playing AFL football each and every week in 2021! This state COULD have provided for three teams in the late 80’s early 90’s and financial opportunities may not have left town for more exposure on the Eastern Sea Boarder or Fled for the mining Boom out West.

but this is an unpopular opinion board, so my two cents - Norwood would have been the powerhouse of SA footy today if the model above came to fruition. Their proximity to Adelaide CBD and their affluent supporters would have them one of the biggest clubs in the country. sh*t, even Glenelg would have probably done really well with the commercial opportunities that come with their destination.

I don't think Norwood would be a powerhouse but I think if Port and Norwood come in around 1990 followed by say Sturt you don't have Fitzroy (as is), North Melbourne and StKilda in the comp today.
Agree totally on the economic opportunities for the state, hopefully Tassie get a team and realise theirs.

Weber served in the best interests of Port and without him who knows, we could have ended up with FranchiseA and FranchiseB in the AFL today.

The Norwood Crows thing sounds like utter rubbish tbh I'd need to see facts, the Crows supporter base is basically founded from 9 clubs Norwood supporters are only a section of that support.

I think Wolf Blass was behind it wasn't he? Offered $1m to move them to the Parade?

I’m half-sure that was played on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. The eighties.

Living in an area where I am surrounded by them you would not believe the contortions they get themselves into trying to convince you and themselves that they really were better off staying in the SANFL playing "real Footy". Delusional barely scratches the surface ...

You'd have to be delusional as a coping mechanism because the reality is absolutely horrendous. I actually feel a bit sick for them.

They had a genuine shot at playing AFL footy. Not certain, but they would have made a strong case. A few spineless administrators shut that door and consigned them to meaningless park football forever. Your greatest rival over more than a century sends their reserves to come and play you in your biggest fixture.

We can laugh because it's hilarious, but wow. I legitimately can't think of a worse administration blunder in sports apart from ones that led to clubs going under. You can come back from a bad trade, or getting relegated. Norwood can never get to the AFL from here.

You'd have to be delusional as a coping mechanism because the reality is absolutely horrendous. I actually feel a bit sick for them.

They had a genuine shot at playing AFL footy. Not certain, but they would have made a strong case. A few spineless administrators shut that door and consigned them to meaningless park football forever. Your greatest rival over more than a century sends their reserves to come and play you in your biggest fixture.

We can laugh because it's hilarious, but wow. I legitimately can't think of a worse administration blunder in sports apart from ones that led to clubs going under. You can come back from a bad trade, or getting relegated. Norwood can never get to the AFL from here.

They genuinely thought they’d get ‘looked after’ for staying loyal, and would grab the second license as a lingering punishment of our ‘treachery’.

Huge whoops. Money talks and bullsh¡t walks.

I don't think Norwood would be a powerhouse but I think if Port and Norwood come in around 1990 followed by say Sturt you don't have Fitzroy (as is), North Melbourne and StKilda in the comp today.
Agree totally on the economic opportunities for the state, hopefully Tassie get a team and realise theirs.

Weber served in the best interests of Port and without him who knows, we could have ended up with FranchiseA and FranchiseB in the AFL today.
Sturt were a shambles in the 90s no way they get a look in on their own

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

That's exactly why I don't prefer them as rivals. Who wants a respectable rival? I don't want to respect them, I want to despise them.

I look at it the exact opposite way. How can you hate a team you dont respect?

I can never bring myself to truly despise the cows because they arent even a real club. I feel disdain for them and annoyed that they exist, but the biggest emotion I feel about them is embarrassment that there are people out there who put them on the same level as us.

I want a genuine club as a rival that I can passionately hate, because they are on our level and there is pride in beating them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back