Unrealistic attempt resulting in concussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure who the Lions player was but Aish copped a very solid knee in the head from a flying Lions player. The attempt was deemed unrealistic, and Aish didn’t return after half-time due to concussion.

So... careless, high contact, high impact? If Hogan gets fined for a bump I’m not sure how the MRO (sadly) can’t look at it.

I don't think it will be cited but it does make a mockery of some of the other decisions. I think Aish was genuinely trying to mark the ball rather than just barrelling recklessly into a contest.

The Hogan decision was ridiculous - two players instinctively coming together to body one another off the ball and one being slightly taller or playing more upright than the other collects the other player high. There needs to be a clause which excludes acts like that.

I don't think it will be cited but it does make a mockery of some of the other decisions. I think Aish was genuinely trying to mark the ball rather than just barrelling recklessly into a contest.

The Hogan decision was ridiculous - two players instinctively coming together to body one another off the ball and one being slightly taller or playing more upright than the other collects the other player high. There needs to be a clause which excludes acts like that.

Aish was the player barrelled into, but yes, the Lions player was genuinely flying for the ball, even if the attempt was deemed unrealistic by the ump.

I've never quite understood the unrealistic attempt at a mark rule. Several years back, we had a player penalised for an unrealistic attempt at a mark .... and the player actually took the mark! I wish I could recall the exact circumstances.
Gil: Just because he took the mark doesn’t mean it wasn’t an unrealistic attempt

DA688547-BBFF-4624-ABC3-5671DDDDEBF0.gif

Not sure who the Lions player was but Aish copped a very solid knee in the head from a flying Lions player. The attempt was deemed unrealistic, and Aish didn’t return after half-time due to concussion.

So... careless, high contact, high impact? If Hogan gets fined for a bump I’m not sure how the MRO (sadly) can’t look at it.
Aish copped a second accidental knee on the ground in the same contest. Nothing in either of them and who's to say which one or to what extent one or both had.

Aish copped a second accidental knee on the ground in the same contest. Nothing in either of them and who's to say which one or to what extent one or both had.
I agree that there is nothing in the incident, but I would’ve said the same about the Hogan bump.

Given studs up was supposedly banned, I wonder if the knee to the head is next
It puts the hanger mark at risk, but concussion is serious.
Launching that hard and fast with your knee at the back of someone's head isnt ideal for safety and well being.

I think your logic is tight, OP, but it's simply not on the AFL's radar. And given how much the footy community's struggling to understand the MRP and current focus on unnecessary contact, they're probably loath to add another thing to their agenda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back