PS4 Until Dawn

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished this tonight.

Really enjoyed it. Coulda used some t***ies to fit the horror theme, but eh, no game is perfect. Saved Matt, Mike, Ashley, Chris. The rest died.
Notes:
Killed Emily by failing a QTE in the mine and she fell in to a grinder.
Killed Sam by failing what felt like the last QTE of the game in the lodge.
Killed Jessica by not getting to her in time and taking the safe options as Mike when chasing her.
I assume the ending with Josh is what most people had?

Matt I was just sorta walking around by myself in the mine and then it ends and I get a butterfly effect update telling me he survived. Bizarre. He was literally never in any danger at all in my play though, apart from the deer scene. Just ended and he survived, he totally Bradbury'd his survival.

Mike was a badass. When I was shooting all the Wendigo in the sanatorium, in the part where you kick the gas barrel at them in the hallway, I yelled out "SMILE YOU SON OF A BITCH!" and blew them the * up.

I didn't mind the Wendigo thing at all, tbh this isn't my usual type of game and I was just about over the psychological stuff with Josh and the serial killer suspense. The Wendigo was equally suspenseful but the general tone and atmosphere since the reveal did bother me as much.

Missus wants to play through Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, she brought the 2-pack the other day, so will be a while before we do a replay.

Most importantly, the dog survived, and I'm putting this outside of spoiler tags to serve as hope and inspiration.

Last edited:

Finished this tonight.

Really enjoyed it. Coulda used some t***ies to fit the horror theme, but eh, no game is perfect. Saved Matt, Mike, Ashley, Chris. The rest died.
Notes:
Killed Emily by failing a QTE in the mine and she fell in to a grinder.
Killed Sam by failing what felt like the last QTE of the game in the lodge.
Killed Jessica by not getting to her in time and taking the safe options as Mike when chasing her.
I assume the ending with Josh is what most people had?

Matt I was just sorta walking around by myself in the mine and then it ends and I get a butterfly effect update telling me he survived. Bizarre. He was literally never in any danger at all in my play though, apart from the deer scene. Just ended and he survived, he totally Bradbury'd his survival.

Mike was a badass. When I was shooting all the Wendigo in the sanatorium, in the part where you kick the gas barrel at them in the hallway, I yelled out "SMILE YOU SON OF A BITCH!" and blew them the **** up.

I didn't mind the Wendigo thing at all, tbh this isn't my usual type of game and I was just about over the psychological stuff with Josh and the serial killer suspense. The Wendigo was equally suspenseful but the general tone and atmosphere since the reveal did bother me as much.

Missus wants to play through Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, she brought the 2-pack the other day, so will be a while before we do a replay.

Most importantly, the dog survived, and I'm putting this outside of spoiler tags to serve as hope and inspiration.
Josh's ending depends on whether you get a certain collectible. First you need to collect one of three collectibles featuring Hannah's tattoo, and in the scene where you control Sam in the water, you have to collect Hannah's diary from a ledge on the left. This allows Josh to recognise Hannah as the Wendigo, and Hannah to recognise Josh. If she doesn't recognise him, she, errrr, crushes his head quite graphically.

Also, your missus sounds like a keeper. :p

Josh's ending depends on whether you get a certain collectible. First you need to collect one of three collectibles featuring Hannah's tattoo, and in the scene where you control Sam in the water, you have to collect Hannah's diary from a ledge on the left. This allows Josh to recognise Hannah as the Wendigo, and Hannah to recognise Josh. If she doesn't recognise him, she, errrr, crushes his head quite graphically.

Also, your missus sounds like a keeper. :p

Ah. On my phone so can't do spoilers, or can't be bothered typing out the tags, so to be vague, I haven't read any other people here having the same situation with Matt and Emily that I did?

Ah. On my phone so can't do spoilers, or can't be bothered typing out the tags, so to be vague, I haven't read any other people here having the same situation with Matt and Emily that I did?
I think the Emily thing is rare and can only happen on one particular QTE.

Matt...
The deer scene is the biggest one but he can die at one other point. If he tries to save Emily twice and doesn't have the flare gun he gets impaled through the neck on a massive fish hook in probably the most gruesome death in the game. If Jess survives he meets up with her in the mines, which fleshes that sequence out a little bit more. Because Jess was dead for you and you (presumably) didn't try to save Emily, you missed a bit of that sequence, hence why the BE popup seemed a little out of place.

Matt was killed in the caribou scene for me. Not that I wanted to attack the caribou, that would be stupid, but I panicked when the QTE popped up and followed through with it without thinking, haha.

Does the releasing of the spirit change anything? I didn't think it had any effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the releasing of the spirit change anything? I didn't think it had any effect.
Spoilered your post for safety. :)

Didn't seem to, no. I'm pretty sure the spirit was released regardless of the choices you made...lets them set up a sequel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so I finished this off. Key points for me:

- it makes no sense why they go back to the lodge at the time of night. Why not arrive during the day like most normal people do when you go bush? The game could've easily accommodated this. Why does it matter? My disbelief wasn't suspended from the start so I think I got a cynical mindset too early.
- they get to the lodge and it's like "let's all go do our own thing". Um, that's not how people think or behave when they arrive at a holiday destination. There was no co-ordination in their group behaviour. I understand their motivation to go back but it didn't seem real the way they went about it.
- crazy how you can't run. I was holding L1 for most of the game but even 'fast walk' is too slow.
- as mentioned before, there's too much dialogue and you can't skip it or speed it up.
- the graphics look fantastic.
- initially I didn't like Mike but he grew to be my fav character.
- the QTEs are too easy. If you're going to have 'press triangle' then make it hard by shortening the time you've got to press it. I barely failed any. Heavy Rain did it much better.
- The Wendigo was a great evolution of the story and admittedly did deepen/lengthen what initially appeared to be a psycho/slasher story.
- When the sisters went missing, how did the investigation not check out the Sanatorium or mines? Dumb.
- the personality characteristic changes seemed irrelevant.
- overall I felt constrained by the forced pacing and unconvinced by some of the flimsy story elements. On the flipside I felt the presentation and effort with the set pieces was excellent and there were some interesting moments with plenty of endeavour.
- there's definitely replay value for players who want to experience other outcomes of their choices.
- I would rate this a 5/10.

I agree with most of what you said but 5/10 is harsh if you're trying to be impartial.

My experience was average by definition. I can see why others might rate it higher. I try to fit my scores in the bell curve which is why I put this right in the middle though.

Just finished up, outstanding game.

Such a tense finish to the game.

Graphically, absolutely outstanding game.
The Josh freak out sequence was incredibly well done, so gruesome and beautiful at the same time

Ended up getting these people killed:
Matt - This seemed like a real out of nowhere death. I assume it's mostly unavoidable, certainly seemed that way. Wanna know how you can get out of dying on that one.
Josh - No idea what I buggered up here, but he died in the water. Will be interested in finding out why this went wrong and what I missed.
Ashley - So disappointed at this one...heard the line that the Wendigo can mimic others and still went looking...:(

Will definitely be having at least another playthrough, if not more.

Finally got around to playing this and was hooked. Brilliant game that felt short of perfection due to some awkward mechanics and the story twist threw me a bit. Give it an 8.5 still. Hope for something similar soon

On your deaths HBK, I had pretty much the same deaths in the same manner for me.....

Only ended up with 2 surviving, although 2 of my deaths were so close to Dawn..... :( What a noob i am

Thought about replaying this a few days ago. Already platinumed it but still was still a fun, not overly long experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back