USA or Australia: What country has the better sporting culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
I would consider the United States and Australia the greatest sporting countries. They both produce many great athletes and both have several popular team sports. So what country would you say wins? I'd give the edge to Australia because the far smaller population makes it more impressive.

I'd give it to America clearly...

College sport over there is massive, people don't know how much you miss out on the experience here. In year 12 at my school we played cricket against other schools for one day of the year and one day for Football. In America they play seasons and College athletes get to play in front of thousands of fans and it can get pretty serious with rivalries.

I'm not a big fan of baseball but its history in America is some of the best of any sport in the world, i always do stadium tours off baseball stadiums in america because the history and stories is fascinating. Went to a tuesday day game in San Francisco at midday and it was a sell out and people think Aussies really love their sport.

I also like the entertainment factor of american sports, the Athletes are allowed confidence and a personality over there, tall poppy syndrome isn't as much of an issue as it is here and i think it hurts AFL and cricket not having as many characters in the sport anymore.

Both have unique cultures in regards to sports.

For the sheer size and passion, I would have to give it to the US.

I'd give it to America clearly...

College sport over there is massive, people don't know how much you miss out on the experience here. In year 12 at my school we played cricket against other schools for one day of the year and one day for Football. In America they play seasons and College athletes get to play in front of thousands of fans and it can get pretty serious with rivalries.

I'm not a big fan of baseball but its history in America is some of the best of any sport in the world, i always do stadium tours off baseball stadiums in america because the history and stories is fascinating. Went to a tuesday day game in San Francisco at midday and it was a sell out and people think Aussies really love their sport.

I also like the entertainment factor of american sports, the Athletes are allowed confidence and a personality over there, tall poppy syndrome isn't as much of an issue as it is here and i think it hurts AFL and cricket not having as many characters in the sport anymore.
I agree on the first two points.

College Sports (NCAA) is a massive part of the schooling system, and most people in American would interact with the NCAA in some way. And people are still loyal to their college in their 60s and 70s. Although, it does have it's down points (amtetuer). The Uni Games is bullshit, and I'd like to see it replaced with an NCAA like system, with states as leagues/conferences.

The history there is richer, the games are on most days of the week (instead of just weekends). There is a lot more sport in over there. The revenue from ads is greater. And the commentators go further in depth than we do here.

One the last point, I don't like seeing teams as one main guy then the rest of unknowns. Don't place one person higher than the other in the team. I feel cricket is going down this path. They are also trying to exploit this "entertainment factor", cricket is a gentlemen's game, and I wish it would stay like that.

Not sure about sporting culture but Australia has better sports, I'd much rather watch and play AFL, rugby and cricket than NFL, basketball and baseball.

There also seems to be greater amateur participation in sport here than the US, a lot of American guys don't play football once they finish college, there isn't as many amateur football clubs around like you have here.

Not sure about sporting culture but Australia has better sports, I'd much rather watch and play AFL, rugby and cricket than NFL, basketball and baseball.

There also seems to be greater amateur participation in sport here than the US, a lot of American guys don't play football once they finish college, there isn't as many amateur football clubs around like you have here.

you're right.... mostly just semi-pro teams filled with fringe players who still think they have a shot at still getting into the NFL

One the last point, I don't like seeing teams as one main guy then the rest of unknowns. Don't place one person higher than the other in the team. I feel cricket is going down this path. They are also trying to exploit this "entertainment factor", cricket is a gentlemen's game, and I wish it would stay like that.

Australia once had great entertainment in the gentlemans game with the likes of Lillee, Thommo and Rod Marsh, i don't really like them and they were far from saints but the result was one of the sports golden eras. I doubt cricket will ever get close to that peak ever again.

A guy like Glenn Maxwell in America would be marvelled more for his talent but it seems more Aussies then not want him to fail just cause someone gave him a nickname he didn't even want.

A guy in the NFL got called 'Megatron' and no one even cared.

Last edited:
you're right.... mostly just semi-pro teams filled with fringe players who still think they have a shot at still getting into the NFL

An American guy I lived with in the States said unless you're good enough at college to play pro sports then most guys just give up playing sport.

Here there are plenty of guys who aren't good enough to play professionally who still play footy, cricket or rugby into their 30s or 40s just for the love of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victoria's passion for Australian rules football is probably unmatched by any sport anywhere in the USA. The revenue and attendance is very impressive.

I'd say that's true of T20 cricket where one man can quite literally make all the difference, I think Test cricket is still fairly immune from that.

Australia once had great entertainment in the gentlemans game with the likes of Lillee, Thommo and Rod Marsh, i don't really like them and they were far from saints but the result was one of the sports golden eras. I doubt cricket will ever get close to that peak ever again.

A guy like Glenn Maxwell in America would be marvelled more for his talent but it seems more Aussies want him to fail just cause someone gave him a nickname he didn't even want.

A guy in the NFL got called 'Megatron' and no one even cared.
Llllee, Thommo and Marsh were before my time, so I could not comment on them.

The issue is this: Australia don't have as many "World XI" players as they once did. It's now full of Indians (not biased). And that coupled with the shitty commentators that Ch9 have employed, they've started giving nicknames like "The Big Show" and "The Finisher" to mediocre cricketers who got lucky once. Ch9 are trying to create these superstar names, but the players are rarely playing.

I'd say that's true of T20 cricket where one man can quite literally make all the difference, I think Test cricket is still fairly immune from that.
I should have been more specific, T20 has been given that "entertainment factor", and it's starting to seep into Test cricket :( with Day Night Tests.

I don't care if you * around with T20, because I couldn't care less. But don't mess with Test cricket.

I should have been more specific, T20 has been given that "entertainment factor", and it's starting to seep into Test cricket :( with Day Night Tests.

I don't care if you **** around with T20, because I couldn't care less. But don't mess with Test cricket.
I wasn't sure about day/night Test cricket at first, but having been to both of them it's brilliant, and the integrity of the game remains the same which is the important thing. The Ashes Test is going to be amazing this year.

If the Detroit Lions and Michigan played the same week the attendance would get very close to beating 3 victorian AFL games on a weekend.
Being originally from the Detroit area myself, I agree they are sports obsessed. But with the Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings also getting attention from the media, I wouldn't say it's dominated by any 1 sport like Melbourne is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back