Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
So you are saying college stadiums are better than NFL stadiums? Glad it took us nearly two weeks to realise you were arguing something totally different to what the discussion was about.

For the record, I follow college football a lot more (particularly the Mountain West and BYU), but I'd take to suggest a college stadium is better than a pro stadium (for anything other than the age demonstrate and atmosphere- if you support the home team) is part of the "cool to be different" hipster attitude of millennials.
The only college stadiums worth going to are those with something special about it

Heres a list of stadiums Id watch a college football match as a neutral

Michigan Stadium - You got to experience the Big House
Beaver Stadium - Only for the white out though. I wouldn't bother for any random game
Rose Bowl - It doesn't mean much to me but Id do it to see if it's as special as others say it is
TIger Stadium - Death Valley, the only stadium with the 5 yard markings, one of 2 or 3 FBS stadiums wit the 2 legged goal posts (along with Washington State and Florida State)? Just so many small things about it which make me want to go
Sanford Stadium - Gotta check out the Hedges around the field
Boone-Pickens Stadium - Id love to see how close to the field the stands actually are. It looks really cramping and therefore intimidating.
Lane Stadium - Wouldn't mind witnessing Virginia Techs enter sandman entrance
Albertson Stadium - The Blue Turf
Harvard Stadium - The horse shoe
Roos Field - The inferno

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
Heading to Miami soon for a couple of weeks on a work trip (by myself). Been to the US a few times but never Miami. Staying & working in the Brickell/Downtown area. Won't be driving. Suggestions for things to check out that are easily accessible by foot/public transport? Thx.

revo333

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Heading to Miami soon for a couple of weeks on a work trip (by myself). Been to the US a few times but never Miami. Staying & working in the Brickell/Downtown area. Won't be driving. Suggestions for things to check out that are easily accessible by foot/public transport? Thx.
Little Havana

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
So was just wondering if any experts in here would assist in what they think estimated costs for 3 weeks in US would be including flights, accommodation and spending money in April ?

Will be doing 1 week on the west coast and 2 weeks in the east coast

I’ve got it mapped at about 2.5k for flights (going LA, Vegas, Philly, NY, Miami) about 2.5k for accommodation and then about 3k spending money (will be doing about 3 baseball games and 3 nba games along the way as well)

Is that reasonable?

Miami was a bit pricey as one of those weeks was Easter but was only time I could go due to work

Last edited:

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
So was just wondering if any experts in here would assist in what they think estimated costs for 3 weeks in US would be including flights, accommodation and spending money in April ?

I’ve got it mapped at about 2.5k for flights (going LA, Vegas, Philly, NY, Miami) about 2.5k for accommodation and then about 3k spending money (will be doing about 3 baseball games and 3 nba games along the way as well)

Is that reasonable?

Miami was a bit pricey as one of those weeks was Easter but was only time I could go due to work
It cost me like 7k last year for 3 weeks over there. Was staying in Air bnb's though and hardly drank over there as the aussie dollar just didn't justify it.

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It cost me like 7k last year for 3 weeks over there. Was staying in Air bnb's though and hardly drank over there as the aussie dollar just didn't justify it.
Yeah I think 7.5k-8k will be what it costs me but will just be eating a fair bit of sh*t food just so I don’t blow the budget

If I had of booked 2-3 months earlier could of saved a bit on flights but just couldn’t commit with work

revo333

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah I think 7.5k-8k will be what it costs me but will just be eating a fair bit of sh*t food just so I don’t blow the budget

If I had of booked 2-3 months earlier could of saved a bit on flights but just couldn’t commit with work
Travelling on your own? You could probably shave $500 off the accommodation if you wanted to.

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Travelling on your own? You could probably shave $500 off the accommodation if you wanted to.
Nah 4 of us.

Yeah ended up getting it around 2.2k after getting free accommodation at Vegas.

Ended up being in NY for Easter which was the killer, but oh well

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers

Is that reasonable?

I live in the States and comment here from time to time.

Taking into account the current 4X, your accommodation costs are too low unless you have some package deal.

COL @ USD93 a day is OK as a tourist in a big city, but with tips you won't be living high on the hog.

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I live in the States and comment here from time to time.

Taking into account the current 4X, your accommodation costs are too low unless you have some package deal.

COL @ USD93 a day is OK as a tourist in a big city, but with tips you won't be living high on the hog.
Going with 3 guys so we’re splitting a double bed room hence the cheaper accommodation

Got a free room for 2 nights in Vegas as well

Haven’t travelled to the states so 3K was just an estimate, and your right if you wanna enjoy yourself it’s probably understated

4K probably sounds more reasonable

Last edited:

wadistance

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Thinking of a short but sweet lads trip. Meeting in LA, hiring an RV, driving to Portland over 12 days and then flying back. 4 of us, 12 days. Any recommendations for stop overs on the way? Coastal a priority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iason

World Class
Dec 28, 2011
Denver
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thinking of a short but sweet lads trip. Meeting in LA, hiring an RV, driving to Portland over 12 days and then flying back. 4 of us, 12 days. Any recommendations for stop overs on the way? Coastal a priority

Big Sur is a must, you have to stop in SF too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
At the risk of being Capt Obvious - US closed down now re travel. In or out. Hopefully any Oz travelers to here can get a refund/postponement free of charge.

Local areas in many states have restaurants and bars shut. Even road trips are problematic.

For those of a certain age it's reminiscent of Neville Shute's 'On the Beach'.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
Was supposed to fly Miami - LA - Melb in 3 days but got my flights changed to today. Currently sitting in LAX waiting to board QF94 home.

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong

drive from la to vegas. 4 hours drive.

spend 9 days in vegas

Drive from vegas to portland. 40 hours drive with no stops

fly back home.

Nelso

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
Went to Kona on the Big Island 5 weeks ago.

Fantastic place to visit, got the true island experience.

Thoroughly recommend the Hilton Waikoloa. Huge resort with it's own lagoon where you can swim with sea turtles.

Top Bottom