Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jim Stynes Passes Away - Vale a champion/hero - Pay your respects here.

Vale Jimmy Stynes and deepest condolences to the Stynes family. He was a great man whose impact on the game will be revered for all time.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/tabid/8667/contentid/430695/default.aspx#playvideo

BraveHeart may be Scottish, but the music is appropriate.

Great men die on their own terms, and I believe Jim did that. There wasn't much more he could do but wait, he has reformed this footy club and put Reach on a great path. We must continue his work.

My only concern is how 2 young lads will go when they face the media about this, Chunk Jones should have been captain.

Saddened by the news of the death of Jim Stynes. I always thought he was an absolute gentleman, and I was amazed at the way he didn't let having cancer get him down.
Condolences to his family, and to all at The Melbourne Football Club. RIP Jim...

[YOUTUBE]lfLd0ZQXOp0[/YOUTUBE]

Where do we start?
When the lights go out
When the Passion a flown
Where do we start?

What's left to say
When our toungs are tied
When the words that lied
Still lingers on

When your defences come down
I see you still shine like the sun
Brighter than everyone
Yeah you still shine like the sun
Your still the only one

When will we sing?
When will we laugh?
Will we have space
For second tries?
Is this the end?
Is this a close?

What's left behind
Are jaded lines

When your defences come down
I see you still shine like the sun
Brighter than everyone
Your still the only one

Brighter than everyone
Your still the only one

Go well big fella. A truly amazing person in every way.

There'll be pints on two sides of the world for him tonight.

Condolences to his family and to the club.

RIP Jim.

Devastated at this loss. You knew it was coming but couldn't believe it would.

The man was so much part of the fabric of one club, but transcended it to be loved by everyone, across two sports and everything he touched in his too short life. Most people live twice as long and do nowhere near half as much good in the world - will be remembered with great love and pride. Thinking of his family and friends, and all the Melbourne FC family.

Such a terribly sad day, our savior is gone.. his achievements as a player were fantastic but his work for reach and as our president has been truly remarkable.. we are forever indebted to him, without him will would be dead and it's in a sickly way fitting that he has some what sacrificed himself for the rest of us...

Condolances to Sam and the kids and I really hope the MFC family look after them forever for Jim Stynes is the MFC..

I had tears for him this morning but they just felt right, may we never forget.. we all love you Jim.. RIP

I hope the MFC can maybe get the number 11 under our logo on the jumper for the season.. Go Dees

My condolences.

In this day and age the term hero is thrown around all too readily.

Jim was born in Dublin and came to Melbourne (both the city and club) as a teenager. Not only was he a trailblazer, but by sticking to this new sport of Australian Football when he started so slowly he showed the strength of character that we all now understand he had. So many who followed in his footsteps have given up when it all got too hard.

He played in a preliminary final and was the villain, only a year later he played in a Grand Final and starred in a losing side. He won the Brownlow and the Leigh Matthews Trophy. He won 4 best and fairests. He played in 244 consecutive games of football, and he played with broken bones. He was determined and tough and committed, and showed the locals what perseverance meant.

But there are lots of footy greats.

He became the antiracism officer for the AFL. He started a business. He co-established the Reach Foundation in 1994 to help youth reach their potential. He worked tirelessly for the foundation till the day he died. He showed that rare combination of not only a burning desire to help others, but also the dedication and skills to see his ideas through.

There are plenty of other unsung heroes who work in charity though.

When his club was on it’s knees he stood up to be counted. He sat in the cheer squad with stitches scarring his head, and showed everyone his love for his team. He begged, cajoled and inspired it’s followers to save it from crippling debt, and succeeded where so many before had failed.

But there have been other club presidents.

He was awarded the Order of Australia, was Victorian of the Year and Melburnian of the Year. He was a husband and father.

You could say the same of other men too.

So don’t call him a hero. To my mind in an age when that term is thrown around so readily, it is not a big enough word to encompass all that Jim Stynes was. It does not encompass all that he achieved, how many lives he touched, his dedication to making a difference, his love, commitment and perseverance. It does not describe how he earned this title not once, but many times over and in different walks of life.

Only his name and memory can truly encompass the person he was.

Vale Jim Stynes. You will be sadly missed, but always remembered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely terrible news, my condolences to his family and all who knew him. Inspirational man for all who follow this game.

The People's Champ.

GYI0060190095_crop_450x500.jpg

My condolences to his family and friends, of which had many.

This isn't just a great loss for the game, but it's a loss for Australia. He was a true gentleman and a brave fighter.

RIP Jim Stynes. Condolences to his family and friends.

Such a wonderful human being who will be missed by so many.

I took this photo back in 1986 at the Alfred Hospital . The lady was Gloria Mason who was in hospital on her birthday and was depresssed and down in the dumps . She was a life long Melbourne supporter who worshipped the ground Jim Stynes walked on .

Jim Stynes walked in totally unannounced . The nurses mentioned later that they could not shut her up and thanked me for arranging the meeting .

The look on her face is priceless !!!

CLICK HERE - http://www.ultrafine.com.au/Other/JIM-STYNES/20851515_4VWP8V#!i=1756669858&k=qmmBrZs

My Condolences to All Dees fans and Jims friends and family. I wish we weren't playing you round 1 because I would love to be cheering the Demons to do it for JIm. If we do win (which is very unlikely) it will be a very hollow victory for us in round 1 and it would be hard for Lions fans to belt out our song given what has happened

Condolences to Jim's family,friends and all associated with the MFC.

I recall going to a game at the MCG in the late '80's and I was sitting right on the fence. Jimmy took a strong mark in the back pocket and moved back to about a metre from me to take his kick. I remember being amazed at the size and power of the guy. That's the image I choose to have of him at this time.
Great player,great bloke.

R.I.P Jimmy, you were an inspirational and selfless man with your will to help others and put their needs ahead of your own.
Condolences to your family, friends and the MFC.
Rest easy big fella!

i just cant imagine what the family is going through. my thoughts go out to you and may jim rip. a true gentleman and fantastic player.

Aussie Rules has lost a true legend.

Not only a great footballer, but an excellent human being.

R.I.P. Big Jim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back