Vale Ted Hopkins 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Colin Tully will do a better job of tagging Teddy “up there” than he did “down here”.

;):p
Yes, when I heard Colin Tully's name mentioned in the commentary, it reminded me that he passed away several years ago too. :(

Most likely the game that broke me from my worship of Ron Barassi and cemented it on the Carlton Football club.

Jezza's mark, Teddy's goals... and the sweet roar at the end of the game.

Teddy was as much a legend as Big Nick and Jezza, Bruce and all the others.

You never really die so long as someone remembers you. Vale Teddy

Teddy was my landlord for awhile at a house in prahran. Ted had his publishing business in the front room. I remember he made a good book on Melbourne ( City. Not club).
Really nice family with his wife Angelica and their daughter Erica when she was little.
Sad news.
Rest in peace Ted.
💙

As a 13 year old boy, devout Carlton fan, I just wanted to go home to my hometown of Maryborough at half time of the 1970 GF, but what was to follow was the most sweetest, unbelievable 10 minutes of my life. You reckon, the 1999 Prelim. final was great, it was nothing compared to the 2nd half of this game. Of the near 60 years I have followed the Bluboys and the 8 modern days flags I have witnessed live at the Gee, NOTHING BUT NOTHING in my footy life compares to the day !!!

Vale Teddy Hopkins, you helped make my dreams come true that day. :'(

Last edited:
They don't need to play 200 games to be influential at our club, Ted 29 games, Rhino 50 or even The Cat. But Teddy Hopkins turned the tide of the most famous game in this club's history. Almost poetry that he and Barass died so close to each other. To say nothing of his vision with Champion Data, talk about a game changer, this bloke, our bloke shaped an era. A man of gargantuan proportions and influence.

Vale Ted

They don't need to play 200 games to be influential at our club, Ted 29 games, Rhino 50 or even The Cat. But Teddy Hopkins turned the tide of the most famous game in this club's history. Almost poetry that he and Barass died so close to each other. To say nothing of his vision with Champion Data, talk about a game changer, this bloke, our bloke shaped an era. A man of gargantuan proportions and influence.

Vale Ted
Buzz 65..........

Buzz 65..........
Great example, as was Mots, I remember being in a standing ovation in the late 90's in the Auld Gardiner Stand as Mots walked around the back row. The entire membership that day cheered and clapped him, made me tear up as to what we missed and how broken he was.

I have struggled finding words to post in here.

A bloke with a fleeting footy career (and a successful an somewhat innovative career thereafter)

As a 62yo I offer a sincere, but succinct Rest in Peace Ted.

As a once upon a time 9 year old watching arguably the greatest(if not the most moving sporting feat in memory) game in history and the impact that little blonde bombshell had, I am quite devastated. The team headed up by the efforts of Brent Crosswell and a few mates were magnificent, but none of that happens without that cameo from Teddy Hopkins.

Forever young in my memories, thanks Ted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back