Vampire Weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently got my record player back up and running and have been in the process of slowly buying up all my favourite albums on vinyl. The self titled debut still stands up very well - just incredibly great songs.

I've only heard Harmony Hall of the new ones released, but am definitely excited for the album.

Yeah there's a part of me that always likes the self-titled the best. Good songs but a great sound, as derivative of Paul Simon as it was. Just such a cool vibe to that record.

Anyone had a good listen to FOTB yet? I’m just giving it my first listen now
It's a killer album. Probably helps that I've heard half of it already from the single releases, but the previously unheard ones are great too. They write such good melodies and some of the lyrical couplets are really brilliant. Perhaps my only disappointment is there's less energy than on previous albums, but that'll probably be forgotten in a few more listens.

Harmony Hall, This Life, Unbearably White, How Long?, My Mistake (sounds like Radiohead), Stranger, Jerusalem New York Berlin are my favourites.

It's just a pretty confused album, but not sure if Rostam would have really helped to be honest. I feel like it's just got a very confused message... I love the 90s pastiche and recollection... it too stirs up ideas of youthfulness, my first encounters of melancholy, and associating animals with real human feelings and outlooks, but ultimately it's too confused with its 'Mitsubishi Macchiato' angle of the simple, beautiful, organic interacting with the steel and cold. It feels like one idea dominates a song, then the other bit is phoned in, then that mix is thrown and mixed around. I just don't think it's balanced.

Ultimately there isn't a top 10 Vampire Weekend track on this LP in my humble but weirdly enough it's still been in my ears most days, two, three, four times a day. It's an okay album but unlike other records which break a spell – Think Tank, Hail to the Thief, Terror Twilight – this thing just doesn't have that one, two, or three borderline-career topping song it needs.

I won't even get started on Sympathy or Bambina or the hunky-dory Haim songs. They make ******* Sunflower seem a cool song.

I’m a fan

Ottoman is their best song ever don’t @ me.
They were most interesting between 2007 and 2009, basically when the first two albums and everything in between was written. Smar,y, confident, hungry young talented men... mystical boys, who felt alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back