Vernon Philander to call it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Off the top of my head he had five series against us - three over there and two in Aus :think: Thats's a pretty significant proportion of an 8 or 9 year test career.
In my mind we've never played South Africa enough, obviously both southern hemisphere teams that want Boxing Days at home doesn't help.

A master craftsman - unplayable when conditions suited him, but he lacked the pace to do much more than hold down an end on flatter wickets.

Very useful lower-order batsman too.

Terrific, accurate bowler and very difficult to face in consitions that suited him. Would have been nice if he looked at the umpire more often when appealing but he's probably not the only bowler we could say that about.

It's a disappointment as is still performing beautifully at test level and is a point of difference from Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi. They'll need Pretorius and Mulder to provide that role in the team. Having said that, being almost 35 and now a one format player with South Africa only playing a two test series in the West Indies in July/Aug before their next home test summer starting this time next year I wonder how much more he'd have left to give at international level. Ideally you want these types of guys staying in the domestic system if possible as Siddle has done to emboy the level required to succeed at the next level (not sure if he still will play domestic 4 day cricket in SA as other Kolpak's have).

However on a positive note, it is good to see Pretorius change his mind after the recent shakeup of the off-field admin and coaching staff.

It's a disappointment as is still performing beautifully at test level and is a point of difference from Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi. They'll need Pretorius and Mulder to provide that role in the team. Having said that, being almost 35 and now a one format player with South Africa only playing a two test series in the West Indies in July/Aug before their next home test summer starting this time next year I wonder how much more he'd have left to give at international level. Ideally you want these types of guys staying in the domestic system if possible as Siddle has done to emboy the level required to succeed at the next level (not sure if he still will play domestic 4 day cricket in SA as other Kolpak's have).

However on a positive note, it is good to see Pretorius change his mind after the recent shakeup of the off-field admin and coaching staff.

I get the feeling that Philander's issues with fitness may have played a role in his decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back