VFL VFL Round 8 v Werribee - Saturday May 18 11:05 @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if some of the newbies don't retain their spots when everyone returns from injury, at least they've had a few games to get used to the intensity & atmosphere. Will be a huge advantage if needed later in the year. Not to mention for their own development.
I think Harrison is the one that might hold his place - particularly if Sidey continues to hold up at half back.

I think Harrison is the one that might hold his place - particularly if Sidey continues to hold up at half back.
Harrison has had some important moments in his matches, featuring in the winning goals of two games. He looks to be worth persevering with longer term.

Harrison has had some important moments in his matches, featuring in the winning goals of two games. He looks to be worth persevering with longer term.
All the newbies have been impressive with how cleanly they've handled and used it under pressure. But he's got some power about him too.

His worse moment was as that attempted kick almost centering the ball in defensive 50. It was just a terrible decision, but that happens. Other than that it was his best game. He’s improving each week, that’s all we can ask .
People are far too invested in the “first round mentality” when in reality he was pick 25. And outside of the top 10, it’s rare for players to have instant impact.

People hear “first round pick” and expect degoey or daicos levels
In other year but last year's clown fest, he was taken with a second round pick.

All the newbies have been impressive with how cleanly they've handled and used it under pressure. But he's got some power about him too.
Most players would have been grounded by some of the tackles put on Harvey but he's burst through. Beast.

GG- you are not given to overstatement or hyperbole, are you? I may be the other extreme, but Harrison has displayed some elite skills in high pressure moments that have me believing we have a genuine 200 gamer on our hands. His handpassing in tight situations is on a par with Pendles based on the small sample size we have seen. Making predictions like that is a dangerous pastime but if injury doesn't intervene, I only see him improving with each game he plays.

GG- you are not given to overstatement or hyperbole, are you? I may be the other extreme, but Harrison has displayed some elite skills in high pressure moments that have me believing we have a genuine 200 gamer on our hands. His handpassing in tight situations is on a par with Pendles based on the small sample size we have seen. Making predictions like that is a dangerous pastime but if injury doesn't intervene, I only see him improving with each game he plays.
You say what?

Longer term? His future is now.

He may not have 20 disposals per game but he makes the ones he does have count. He is everywhere on the field and is a freakishly intelligent player.

While assessing the performance of the newbies in the AFL, role obviously is such an important factor to take into account. With Nick, Josh, Pendles, Crisp, DeGoey, all getting 25+, I wonder if that has a flow on effect to the number of touches the newbies get in there particular defined roles. I would love to see Richards, Harvey, etc, get more involved, as they seem to be producing quality in their linking and offensive roles. Defensively, the little I have seen, Harvey and probably richards are the standouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back