Toast Virgin Australia officially now a Co-Major Partner - 5 more years until 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if we want the Australian Government bailing out a foreign owned airline that hasn't turned a profit in 10 years and owes +$4billion in debt (with over $500m due this calendar year) unless the Government gain back a controlling share in the airline.

Email just received ...

fed32227-00c6-418c-8f30-40155d674d70.jpg

Dear Aph,

We are writing to inform you that the Carlton Football Club will continue to support our co-major partner, Virgin Australia as it enters into voluntary administration, as a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

From an economic perspective it would be hard to think of an industry hit harder than the airlines. As a club, we will continue to offer our full support to CEO Paul Scurrah and his team at Virgin Australia.

Virgin Australia and their people have stood by our side for the past five years and through some very difficult periods for our football club. Their commitment to us has never wavered and they are an incredibly important partner of the Carlton Football Club and more broadly, the AFL industry.

Our partnership has been one of enormous mutual benefit. In 2019 alone, our Carlton IN Business network delivered more than $5 million worth of business to Virgin Australia. Like our club, Virgin Australia will likely look quite different post COVID-19, but whilst they continue to fly Australian skies, they will always have the unequivocal support of our club.

This is an incredibly difficult time for all Virgin Australia staff and their families, and the thoughts and best wishes of the entire Carlton family are with them.

We will continue to keep members updated on this situation.

As always, we thank you for your continued support of the Club.

Cain Liddle
Chief Executive
Member ID: 21499500

In what way can our club or anyone else for that matter continue to support virgin when they are in voluntary administration?

Telling them - and the public - that their "major partner" status is under no threat when they get themselves back up.

It's seen as a public vote of support. When other sponsors have gone belly up in the past at other clubs the clubs have publicly stated that they'd be immediately seeking new sponsorship to replace them.

The Australian Government is totally committed to a 2 airline policy.
Voluntary administration (and the write-off of 5 billion in debt) is the first step to the rebirth of the airline.
I'm pretty this airline will be re-born, with some kind of government assistance.
The club (quite rightly) is positioning itself to be a sponsorship vehicle for the new VA (or whatever it's called).
There's really no other option for the club to take anyway.
It's not like businesses are falling over themselves to sponsor sporting teams right now.

10 buyers sniffing at the remains of Virgin already. A bit of competitive bidding, the removal of a significant debt obligation, and they'll be back up and running in no time. I wouldn't be surprised if at some stage they try and renegotiate the terms of their sponsorship deal with us, however the partnership with the AFL is quite broad and I wouldnt be shocked if the AFL intervenes. Gotta remember that in normal life, the AFL creates a significant amount of domestic air travel for Virgin - not only the 50ish people per team that fly interstate, but all the AFL/club endorsed travel packages that fly through Virgin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

even if its more expensive?
Yes. I only fly with them.

Tiger is a joke, Jet Star aren't much better and are also pricks and Qantas aren't really any better than Virgin but are more expensive again.

Virgin are comfortably the best all-round airline in Australia. A little more than the cheap brands, but cheaper than the competitor full service airlines.

Yes. I only fly with them.

Tiger is a joke, Jet Star aren't much better and are also pricks and Qantas aren't really any better than Virgin but are more expensive again.

Virgin are comfortably the best all-round airline in Australia. A little more than the cheap brands, but cheaper than the competitor full service airlines.

Yeah I started flying with virgin about 3 years ago when the homeloan was with them and I was getting points

It's the best one imo

Never flown with them - for me it's price over comfort motivated on personal flights (domestic) and work is tied to Qantas.

I hope the new investor makes them more price competitive with the no-frills airlines like Jetstar and Tiger, but without cutting the corners...there seems to be a space in the market for a mid-tier service....pay a bit more than no frills, but less than Qantas.

Never flown with them - for me it's price over comfort motivated on personal flights (domestic) and work is tied to Qantas.

I hope the new investor makes them more price competitive with the no-frills airlines like Jetstar and Tiger, but without cutting the corners...there seems to be a space in the market for a mid-tier service....pay a bit more than no frills, but less than Qantas.
I think that's basically what it is already. They're cheaper than Qantas but of far better quality to the tin pot airlines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back