Visitor's Book - Give the Board a Bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Red Adair, 3KZ is Football or any other Fitzroy members,

Do you know what's happening with the coaches for Reserves and U19's ? On the club website it's still listing those positions as vacant but I'd have thought they'd be filled by now.

Not sure, but there would be people who were better placed than me who might be able to tell you.

:rolleyes: Were you thinking of throwing a hat into the ring AndyD?

LOL, sure; if they let me do the coaching from Brisbane, don't require me to actually attend any games and don't mind that I have no experience or aptitude for the job.

I did notice that someone from the club posted here a while back; perhaps they'll chime in.

i know you folks do, but geez i miss the roys in the big league.

were my 2nd fav team as a kid, even tho you got the saviour 'superboot' from our claws. i recall their teams of unheralded players making a mess of the competition on many occasions. thornton, parish, hinchen, murnane, rendell, clayton, our mudlark carlson, pekin, lawrie, harris all names i remember.

and the much heralded conlan, roos, pert, osbourne etc.

fond memories.

Good on you vjknight, nice of you to pop in and make such a positive contribution.
Looking back to the late 70's and early 80's, we seemed to have the edge on Collingwood during the "home and away" season, but you were definately our nemesis in finals, putting us out in '79, '81 and 84.

While I'm at it, further to my last post, I have added Rendell, McMahon, Lokan, Harris and Lawrie to "Roster Watch" on the Brisbane Lion's board. If I get time over the next few days I might add a few more from those you mention.

Looking back to the late 70's and early 80's, we seemed to have the edge on Collingwood during the "home and away" season......

and yes now you remind me of round 22 1981 - we top the ladder, happy in expectation of the next week off to prepare for the 2nd semi......fitzroy at home should be a gimme......oh F.........they smash us and our premiership chances, as we needed to rest the entire squad. smug bugger next to me had every combo over 5 goals on the TAB - paid heaps from memory.

got our revenge 2 weeks later with the ross brewer over the head kick to win by a point, but it was too late. only had to wait 9 more years LOL.

I think I'd rather remind you of Rd. 1 in 1979. ;) I was at that game and the semi-final in 1981 and I can tell you, I enjoyed the earlier encounter by a long chalk.

The Fitzroy v Collingwood semi in 1981 was one of the all time classic games of finals football. Whoever lost that day was going to nurse the hurt for a long long time. To be honest, it stll hurts after nearly thirty years.

I know Fitzroy folk will talk about 1983 and the premiership that might have slipped through our fingers, but I have always felt that if we beat Collingwood in the '81 Semi, we would have gone on to win the flag. Fitzroy were in killer form leading up to the Collingwood final, having won 9 of the last 11 games of the 'home and away' season, including a 25 point victory over eventual premier, Carlton, before knocking Essendon out of the Elimination Final.

This game will always be the great "if only..." match for me.

You talkin to yourself again KZ?

;) At the risk of being accused of talking to myself, there are some great tributes being paid to former Fitzroy footballers in Roster Watch on the Brisbane Lion's board.

In particular, Grimreepah's Haydn Bunton thread is a classic. Loads of archival material make for a really entertaining and readable tribute to Fitzroy's most decorated son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

;) At the risk of being accused of talking to myself, there are some great tributes being paid to former Fitzroy footballers in Roster Watch on the Brisbane Lion's board.

In particular, Grimreepah's Haydn Bunton thread is a classic. Loads of archival material make for a really entertaining and readable tribute to Fitzroy's most decorated son.
Thanks for the tip. I don't often look at their board. :thumbsu:

I've just decided to forgive John Murphy for leaving Fitzroy after the 1977 season and as a sign of reconciliation, I have added a thread for him on the Brisbane Lions board (Roster Watch).

He deserves his place amongst the Fitzroy legends there.

I posted this personal story on the Brisbane board, but it really belongs here.

In 1973 my Grade 5 teacher at Manningham Primary School, in Melbourne, was a former Collingwood and Sandringham footballer and Collingwood U-19's coach who declared one day (in jest i think) that students were not allowed to wear any football colours or jumpers in class unless they were Collingwood's.

The next day I turned up to school wearing my school pants and a Fitrzoy Jumper, under which I had a maroon Fitzroy skivvy with a ferocious Lion in a slightly raised blue velour on the front (very early 70's merchandise) and a singlet. True to his word, when I walked in to class that morning, the teacher asked me to take off my footy jumper, which I did with a defiant stare, only to reveal my skivvy. He looked a bit surprised, but nonetheless told me to take the skivvy off, which I also did. In silent protest I then sat in the classroom freezing, wearing a singlet and my school pants. When the bell went for recess he told me I could put my tops back on when I went out to playtime, but I refused and said only if I could wear them inside after play. He said I couldn't, so I spent playtime outside in my singlet.

When I came in from playtime I must have been blue, because my teacher told me gruffly to put my tops back on, before ignoring me for the rest of the day. Fitzroy won 9 games in 1973 and we finished 8th, but for me, I will always count the contest we won at Manningham Primary as a big win that year.

I love Fitzroy.

Great story 3KZ I rate it: :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

The best story from primary school I can come up with is when the (at the time) current werribee captain/coach and 89 (Reserves) Fitzroy Premiership player Leon Harris came to our school for a footy clinic.

This is back in the day when the VFA still mattered and people actually cared about the local team rather than think about them as an AFL sides 2nds.

My mate and I were the only 2 Fitzroy supporters in the whole school (well it seemed that way, it may not be true though) and we proudly wore our jumpers with the cracked and faded FFC's. He spoke to my mate but didn't notice me, I was shattered.

In his defence I was only a kid and didn't really appriciate who he was anyway. My mum told me he used to be a good player so I took here word for it. It was good to see the other kids treat an ex Lions player with a bit of respect though. There wasn't really a lot of respect coming the Lions way from school kids in the 90's.

My favourite Fitzroy memory is going to Brunswick st wearing the full gear in about 1960/1961.When the players ran out all the kids were allowed to run around with the player whose number you had on your back.I had No 19 Ron harvey, a back pocket relieving ruckman about 6 4.He was a giant with giant legs and I despeartely tried to keep up with him as did the other kid with his number.hard to believe these days but the players werent always that remote.
Another fav memory is a function in the 90s.On my table were Ross Thornton and Michael gale.Ross was terrific.Michael gale a bit weird - spent the whole time biting his nails.My main memory was that in talking about Bernie Q they did not refer to him as Superboot but "The Master" as in "The master loved playing at Junction Oval."

Just finished madly barracking against Geelong in the last quarter vs. Melbourne.

Fitzroy's record VFL / AFL winning margin of 190 points (ironically over Melbourne) has survived a huge scare.

Melbourne were beyond atrocious losing by 186 points, as Geelong kicked 37 goals 11. Not a huge number of scoring shots, and most of their goals were 10-20m out directly in front. Has to be one of the worst team efforts ever from Melbourne.

Geelong also missed their own record score by 7 points, which was against the Bears. That pipped our long held record the bastards! Didn't want to lose another record.

HIGHEST EVER VFL / AFL SCORES:

1. Geelong vs. the Bears in 1992 = 37 goals 17 points, 239
2. Fitzroy vs. Melbourne in 1979 = 36 goals, 22 points, 238
3. Sydney vs. Essendon in 1987 = 36 goals, 20 points, 236
4. Geelong vs. Melbourne in 2011 = 37 goals 11 points, 233

BIGGEST EVER AFL / VFL WINNING MARGIN:
1. Fitzroy vs. Melbourne in 1979 = 190 points
2. Geelong vs. Melbourne in 2011 = 186 points

Got my 1979 record score/margin poster out today in honour of our record still being intact the wife didn't appreciate it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back