Visitor's Book - Give the Board a Bump

Remove this Banner Ad

I spent my junior days at the footy with a long time Fitzroy supporter who was my Dad's good mate.

He started barracking for them in the 50's and amongst his memoribilla he had the then record score board photo v Melbourne mounted and framed. Plus he had a Fitzroy flag, jumper, he met Kevin Murray and other champs.

Funniest thing I remember about him was that he had a crappy old pool table we would play pool on. Every time he potted a ball he would link it to a player's name. For example he would sink ball number 10 and he would yell "Laurie Serafini!!!".

Good times!!!

Wow I never thought of that. Every time I potted a ball in pool all I'd say was "Crosby!"

I was only a youngster and I have this Fitzroy supporter to thank for introducing me to such great footy-isms as:

"7 point play"
"It's not a game, it's a shame"
"sound the siren" after the first point was kicked
and also the word "lairise"

Quality old man jokes!!!

"Sound the siren" got plenty of use in my time :D As Roys fans, a one point lead at the 3 minute mark were often our only leads for the season :)

Did you ever experience the call of "deliberate" when a shot at goal from 65 landed in a pocket and rolled out of bounds?

Also, we used to stand up and sing "I like aeroplane jelly" whenever a boundary umpire signalled out-on-the-full until Security for some reason decided it was apparently akin to a bomb threat.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/120234/default.aspx

The Brisbane Lions AFC mourns the passing of former Fitzroy Treasurer Bill Jacobs who originally helped transform the Club into the ‘Lions’ back in the 1950s.

http://premier.cricketvictoria.com....gi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=30351;group_name=

Cricket Victoria regrets to advise of the passing today of legendary cricket administrator and football broadcaster Bill Jacobs, aged 93. Bill had been battling a bout of pneumonia and passed away this afternoon at Epworth Hospital.
Bill Jacobs was a fine keeper-batsman, playing 266 consecutive matches for Fitzroy between 1937-38 and 1955-56, capturing 448 dismissals (279 catches and 169 stumpings).

"Sound the siren" got plenty of use in my time :D As Roys fans, a one point lead at the 3 minute mark were often our only leads for the season :)

Did you ever experience the call of "deliberate" when a shot at goal from 65 landed in a pocket and rolled out of bounds?

Also, we used to stand up and sing "I like aeroplane jelly" whenever a boundary umpire signalled out-on-the-full until Security for some reason decided it was apparently akin to a bomb threat.

Ha! Sensational!! I love the Aeroplane Jelly one. The "deliberate" one is a classic and was a fave of mine.

Also when the boundary umpires would sprint late to an out of bounds, signal the throw in and the crowd would do the same yelling high pitched "look at me!!!". Lame but great when you are a little kid.

My absolute fave was runnning on to the ground after a goal and signalling the goal next to the goal umpire. Do that now and its a $5000 fine or something outrageous!!

Other classic old school calls: "chewy on your boot" and "have a go you mug".

As a kid I went to a match and the old lady (70ish) sitting next to me told me that 30 years earlier her Father had had a heart attack and died in the seat I was sitting in!!! The game was close and he supposedly he had a coronary and popped off! I must admit the match was not quite the same after that!!

Another one was an old Granny giving my mates and I Scotch and water from her thermos when we were about 14!! Nice work love!!!

It's half time in the Geelong v Gold Coast game and I'm nervous. It'll be criminal if we lost our record due to a game of men v boys.

Not really visiting, but just back from the hospital and delighted to announce that birth of Quinlan Arthur 3KZ is Football this afternoon at 4.03pm. Mrs. 3KZ is Football is doing well and I couldn't be happier.

:thumbsu: Another Fitzroy supporter in the 3KZ is Football camp.

No still just the one, becasuse we traded up to one of those two kids in the one pusher arrangements.

Although it is bigger so it will be harder to drag up into the stand, which I did last season when I just had Rupert 3KZ is Football and the single pusher with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really visiting, but just back from the hospital and delighted to announce that birth of Quinlan Arthur 3KZ is Football this afternoon at 4.03pm. Mrs. 3KZ is Football is doing well and I couldn't be happier.

:thumbsu: Another Fitzroy supporter in the 3KZ is Football camp.

No need to ask what you've been up to. Well done old bean. Oh, and congrats to Mrs 3KZ is Football for her small part in proceedings. You seem chuffed, as well you might. Let's hope he conducts all of his future activities at such a civilised hour.

Top stuff:thumbsu:We will finally get a few more Roy's fans one way or another;)

While we're on the topic of kids. I've got three younguns of my own and while I don't follow the AFL anymore, they are starting to take an interest in the game.
I'm pretty happy not taking an interest in any AFL club, but I'm sure there will come a point where they ask who we barrack for.

I was wondering if anyone could share any stories about if they faced this and how they handled, I'd be especially interested in stories from those that still don't follow a current AFL club.

While we're on the topic of kids. I've got three younguns of my own and while I don't follow the AFL anymore, they are starting to take an interest in the game.
I'm pretty happy not taking an interest in any AFL club, but I'm sure there will come a point where they ask who we barrack for.

I was wondering if anyone could share any stories about if they faced this and how they handled, I'd be especially interested in stories from those that still don't follow a current AFL club.

I can't really help you but the Lions could use all the support we can get in Melbourne to try to keep the Fitzroy traditions alive at the AFL level. I am sure Fitzroy would also love your kids to come along to games at the BSO.

Otherwise the closest thing to what Fitzroy was like would probably be North Melbourne - they need the support too.

I can't really help you but the Lions could use all the support we can get in Melbourne to try to keep the Fitzroy traditions alive at the AFL level. I am sure Fitzroy would also love your kids to come along to games at the BSO.

Not only get the kids watching Fitzroy but, when they're ready, put them in one of the Fitzroy junior teams. It'd be a huge thrill for any old Royboy to watch their kids running around in the Fitzroy guernsey and playing for a Fitzroy team.

In regards to the AFL level, I got an email from the Melbourne arm of the Lions and they mentioned that they have a few "massive things" "in the pipeline in 2012". No idea what they are but, given that the email was from the Victorian office I'm assuming they would relate in some way to Fitzroy or Melbourne-based Lions fans.

I miss the old roy boys...wish they were still around instead of Port or North Melbourne. Loved the old jumper and remember as a kid seeing Lynch, Roos and Osborne and a young Boyd go around - good times. I also remember the last game vs Freo (I was there) and it was an unusaul feeling to win a game and yet feel a little empty. Good old AFL you think they could have let Fitzroy play their last game in Victoria, but I am sure you guys have done that one to death.

I was only alive for three Fitzroy seasons, so I never experienced the club.

I hold a huge admiration for the club. I almost feel nostalgic. Fitzroy is my favourite suburb in Australia, the jumper is timeless, and the ethos seemed enviable. I loved the club song, especially the line about "In defeat, we'll always try". I just love the attitude of that line.

But I think, if they existed now, I'd just have a soft spot for them. I'd like them because of the suburb and because of the top. The very fact I can't remember a game of theirs (though I'm certain I saw Fitzroy play at the 'G in '96 as a toddler) adds to this romanticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back