Vossless (toothless) Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

NathanD

All Australian
Sep 21, 2001
Tassie
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A tough call, but it was the case not that long ago.

The maturity and ability of the team is much greater now, but with Voss out for who really knows how many weeks, it will be a fascinating time in the evolution of the Lions.

V2 or Robbins can't be called up to the seniors any more, but I suppose the whole midfield rotation is more capable with the Scotts, Notting, McRae, Power, Headland, Johnson, Hart, Copeland (if selected) etc all capable of a run on the ball.

A challenge for all, but I reckon the great man's presence may well be missed when the chips are down.

I think this is a good time for Hart to lift a little. His performances this year haven't been the greatest.

Lappin will lead the centre now. And Aker will have to kick a few 40+ metre shots. Black will also have to get some more of the ball. He's been missing a bit of late. The taggers are killing him.

I'm not too worried about Voss been out as it will force the team to focus on lifting in his absence.

Having seen plenty of the reserves this year, the man who deserves a go in the midfield is Craig Bolton. Dead set ball magnet in the magoos. Whether he can make the transition to being a senior level midfielder remains to be seen, but going by his efforts at the lower level, he's earnt his a chance, IMO.

Originally posted by Mr Ripper
Having seen plenty of the reserves this year, the man who deserves a go in the midfield is Craig Bolton. Dead set ball magnet in the magoos. Whether he can make the transition to being a senior level midfielder remains to be seen, but going by his efforts at the lower level, he's earnt his a chance, IMO.

Yep Bolts is due the chance to stand up in the seniors but please Leigh stop using him as a sacrifical lamb - put him on someone he is well matched with.

I am not concerned with Voss's absence from a playing point of view as we have the depth and the midfield is strong. I do however have concerns from the point of view of his leadership. He lifts the team when the chips are falling the wrong way - I don't see any of our other players with that ability - you never see Voss with hands on hips and head down, his body language never concedes defeat.

Originally posted by Stocka

Nigel Lappin

Yeah Nige will step up to the role as he has done in the past but I still don't think he has the leadership skills but I guess now we will see. Nige is one of my favourites so I hope he does.

I reckon Nigel Lappin would have to rank as almost 'the' best big-game, big-quarter, big-play player in the league.

I reckon Nigel Lappin would have to rank as almost 'the' best big-game, big-quarter, big-play player in the league.

Yes Stocka I agree with you - plays out every game to the final second, never gives in and never gives up. The point I was trying to make was about leadership qualities - yes he will lead by example with his focus on his playing but can he lift the other players this way. You see Vossy talking to the players and you see them change after.

Stocka you come out with some drivel at times. Lappin is a good consistent player but he is no big-game player. You obviously do not understand what it takes to be called that sort of player. He can not turn a match himself which is the markings of someone who is a big game player.

Here are a few blokes from the last 20 years who were big game players and could turn it on and off when they liked.

Brereton, Ablett, Gary Ayres, Darren Milane, Matthews, Carey, Hird, McLoed, Peter Matera, Osborne, Hawkins.

Originally posted by Slax

Stocka you come out with some drivel at times. Lappin is a good consistent player but he is no big-game player.

According to you. Most people would not agree, however. Especially those who have seen him play, over many years, in many big games.

At any rate, you've only been supporting the Lions for about one year, haven't you? I've seen enough big games with the Lions in, to know that Lappin is INDEED one of THE best big game playes in the league. At any rate, it's my opinion. I haven't seen you give any actual REASONS as to why you disagree, merely the statement that you consider what I think, to be "drivel". Is that saying something about your degree of football knowledge, or articulation, Slax?

Likewise, why is that whenever I say something that you disagree with, you merely say that it is "drivel", without discussing the reasons why you feel that way? Surely it's just one opinion versus another.

You obviously do not understand what it takes to be called that sort of player. He can not turn a match himself which is the markings of someone who is a big game player.

What are you basing this judgement on, Slax? How many big games have you actually seen Lappin play in?

How about the '99 Preliminary Final? How about the 2001 Grand Final? Likewise, many other finals that the Lions have played in over the last few seasons.

How about the fact that he was awarded, by the club the "Best Finals Player" award in 2001??

Likewise, I could name at least 10 other big games in which Lappin has been amongst out very best, if not the best Lions player on the ground. I have substantial evidence to back up my claims, Slax - what about you??

Likewise, where does it say that a "big game" player equates to someone who can "swing" matches? That's just your definition. What makes you so sure that your definition is correct, and that mine isn't? Surely it's just one opinion versus another, rather than you saying that I "obviously don't understand", or that what I have contributed is "drivel".

To most, a "big game" player is someone who performs at their best, and influences the course of the play, in a big game situation. Anyone who has seen N.Lappin play over the last few seasons, would agree that he is one of the best big game players in the league, going by that definition.

Slax, I'd really be interested, and perhaps amused and entertained, as to actual REASONS as to why your opinion is so much better than mine, and why mine only rates as "drivel".

Surely it's just one opinion versus another, and at least in my opinion, I'm using actual observations and factual accounts to base my opinion on.

Here are a few blokes from the last 20 years who were big game players and could turn it on and off when they liked.

Brereton, Ablett, Gary Ayres, Darren Milane, Matthews, Carey, Hird, McLoed, Peter Matera, Osborne, Hawkins.

What makes your list so good? Many people would argue against a number of those names put on that list! I reckon you're just a NAME DROPPER, Slax!!!

And how many of those players are still playing today, anyway? I was talking about current times, to which most would add N.Lappin. You'd be a fool not to, Slax my boy.

Much as I loved watching 'Ossie" Osborne, I would not put him in the category of a great big game player. Sadly, when they called his name, to step up in a big game, quite often it was, "No appearance, Your Worship."

Gotto agree with you Stocka - Nige has really been in form over the past year. I think with such big names ;) as Voss out - Nige should really be noticed by the "not-so-devout" followers.

Hopefully Black can also pick up his form and be his usual dynamite self..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back