WA Trading hours regulations: Absolute Joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

What have pokies got to do with anything?

Have a conversation with people about trading hours and soon enough the statement, "they have poKies in the east as well" will come up.

Its something that every other state, territory in OZ has and something that some people here want as well, just like trading hours.

Have a conversation with people about trading hours and soon enough the statement, "they have poKies in the east as well" will come up.

Its something that every other state, territory in OZ has and something that some people here want as well, just like trading hours.
No that does not make sense.

Yeah sure, it comes up if you raise it.

Havn't seen it mentioned in this thread before?

How depressing if how you want to define Western Australia is "well we don't have stuff those damn Eastern staters do, you know like extended trading".

Value your own ignorant pride above others convenience or needs.

No that does not make sense.

Yeah sure, it comes up if you raise it.

Havn't seen it mentioned in this thread before?

How depressing if how you want to define Western Australia is "well we don't have stuff those damn Eastern staters do, you know like extended trading".

Value your own ignorant pride above others convenience or needs.

Ignorant pride, i have lived in Canberra and seen what extended trading hours did to the local shops, the mum and dad family business, it made the local shops empty, funny, after coles and woolworths knocked those businesses out they went back to shorter hours.

If you have a business at lets say a Westfield that now opens on sunday, your rent will now go up accordingly but people have only the same amount of money to spend but over longer hours, but of course the shop owner has to pay more wages etc , whilst shops such as Kmart, coles, woolies pay minimal rent because they are considered anchor tenants and bring in the little shops that pay the lions share of rent to MR Lowy.

If eventually you want to have 2 supermarkets to choose from who collude on prices like oil companies then you heading the right way , but at least look at the issue from all sides and stop with calling someone ignorant.

Oh bullshit. If you say not then provide proof.

Guess what I have lived in Melbourne and small business still seems to be alive and well.

What hurts the small players in the grocery industry is not late night trading but exclusive access rights to shopping centres.

There are a whole raft of other issues and when it comes to WA, the winners will be consumers as it will break IGA's monopoly on after hours trading.

Oh bullshit. If you say not then provide proof.

Guess what I have lived in Melbourne and small business still seems to be alive and well.

What hurts the small players in the grocery industry is not late night trading but exclusive access rights to shopping centres.

There are a whole raft of other issues and when it comes to WA, the winners will be consumers as it will break IGA's monopoly on after hours trading.

The onus is on you to provide proof, you are the one who wants it all changed.

The winners will not be the consumers in the end, the winners will be big business to the detriment of everyday people , ask yourself this ... who is behind the lobbying for change.

Where is the evidence that proves that extended trading hours hurt small business substantially in the eastern states?

I would say a vast majority of any closures would not be attibuted to extended hours , but poor change management.

I've said it before, I will say it again. IGA are a poseur organisation.

And who is lobbying against it?;)

Increased competition should bring down prices.

There is more price gouging going on in WA than Vic and NSW.

Here my groceries are cheaper, proximity to sources of manufacturing/packaging is only part of the reason.

IGA are rip off merchants, the sooner their monopoly on late night trading is ended the better.

Where is the evidence that proves that extended trading hours hurt small business substantially in the eastern states?

I would say a vast majority of any closures would not be attibuted to extended hours , but poor change management.

I've said it before, I will say it again. IGA are a poseur organisation.
Actually a lot of it is also a whole raft of anti-competitive behavior but often people falsely attribute it to extended trading.

Compared to where I lived in Perth, small businesses are far more prolific and seem to be doing well where I live in Melbourne.

Heck I live right near the city on the bay (Albert Park).

And I used to live in Elwood.

There is a conspicuous lack of the large retail, supermarket and fast food chains.

A large Coles in Port Melbourne and McDonalds in South Melbourne, not to much else. Yet thriving strips of small food outlets, cafes, South Melbourne markets, clothing boutiques etc.

As for Elwood, Elwood village is dominated by small grocers/supermarkets and eateries.

Going around in circles boys, time will tell, big bussiness usually gets it's way so these extended trading hours will eventually come in i would imagine, but IMO we dont need it and at the end of the day you will then complain about something else.

If you think we will get increased competition out of this you are mistaken.

So we agree to disagree,

Goodnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is this small business you speak of? You cannot surely be referring to IGAs?

As for small delis, they will continue to do as they are now. I worked for a year in a 'mum and dad' deli and because it was open from 5-9 and outside the shopping centre we did quite well, sold mostly newspapers, milk, break, cold drinks and hot food.

Everything else youd go to Coles for anyway. What difference is it going to make??

Mr Q is a muppet. 2005 is half a decade ago. Things have changed since then, and yes they have changed since 1958 as well. Which is a challenging concept to drill into the heads of half of this wretched ****ing state. I love Perth. I couldnt imagine living anywhere else, not even my home country. I couldnt move to Melbourne or Sydney. But anyone with two eyes and a brain can tell that WA seems to pride itself on having the most archaic system in Australia.

WA - We're Archaic.

Nice edit.
By your logic we should hold a referendum every year till the public get sick of it, and you get your way.

It was the voice of the MAJORITY.
Simple concept.

Yes I am AWARE that the majority is ignorant over here, cant wait till the all start dying off.

Yes I am AWARE that the majority is ignorant over here, cant wait till the all start dying off.
And then you will, no doubt, start advocating for daylight savings.
Such a pity that you don't recognise what a priviledge it is to be a true Western Australian.

And then you will, no doubt, start advocating for daylight savings.
Such a pity that you don't recognise what a priviledge it is to be a true Western Australian.

Its this sort of morose stuff that really irks me.

Like where u were born is something to be proud of and a great achievement. Idiotic nationalist pride.

I know your one of them fools that flys the union jack around on his car around this time of year aren't you bud?

You were just a quick little sperm.

We all were buddy.

Its this sort of morose stuff that really irks me.

Like where u were born is something to be proud of and a great achievement. Idiotic nationalist pride.

I know your one of them fools that flys the union jack around on his car around this time of year aren't you bud?

You were just a quick little sperm.

We all were buddy.
Actually no. No flags. No Commodore. No boganista at all.
Just a quiet satisfaction that the majority of people from this great state still don't feel the need to follow the sheep mentality of the east.
One way airfares are cheap.

Proclaiming the awesomeness of your chance birth in a certain geographic region, as a reason to feel good about ones self.

Strange stuff.

Boggles the mind.

I remember in younger days before all the boom, Wozzies thats proudly proclaimed they had never left the state!

This "small businesses will die" is the biggest load of s**t going around. Do the proponents of this argument ever actually visit the rest of Australia?

who wants to work on a sunday

I think many casual workers would prefer to have other times available rather than be locked into Thursday nights and Saturdays.

Guess the AFL shouldn't play on Sundays. Think of the stadium workers!!! :rolleyes:

Actually a lot of it is also a whole raft of anti-competitive behavior but often people falsely attribute it to extended trading.

Compared to where I lived in Perth, small businesses are far more prolific and seem to be doing well where I live in Melbourne.

Heck I live right near the city on the bay (Albert Park).

And I used to live in Elwood.

There is a conspicuous lack of the large retail, supermarket and fast food chains.

A large Coles in Port Melbourne and McDonalds in South Melbourne, not to much else. Yet thriving strips of small food outlets, cafes, South Melbourne markets, clothing boutiques etc.

As for Elwood, Elwood village is dominated by small grocers/supermarkets and eateries.

Yep i live in Elwood now, near the shopping strip on Tenneyson Street. No problems at all with small businesses opening to compete agains the bigger chains, and as you said the main competition is the 2 stores in St Kilda and the one in Port Melbourne.

Actually no. No flags. No Commodore. No boganista at all.
Just a quiet satisfaction that the majority of people from this great state still don't feel the need to follow the sheep mentality of the east.
One way airfares are cheap.

And that is the view that is holding WA back- WA stands for Wait Awhile.

And that is the view that is holding WA back- WA stands for Wait Awhile.
Holding us back from what exactly? Just because we don't conform to eastern states ideas hardly makes us backward at all.
We have a surging economy, low unemployment, one of, if not the, highest per capita wage and a very nice lifestyle to boot.
Just because we loathe daylight saving and are resistant to extended shopping hours means little in the overall scheme of things.
Ask me about our driving habits however, and I will agree with you.:p

Holding us back from what exactly? Just because we don't conform to eastern states ideas hardly makes us backward at all.
We have a surging economy, low unemployment, one of, if not the, highest per capita wage and a very nice lifestyle to boot.
Just because we loathe daylight saving and are resistant to extended shopping hours means little in the overall scheme of things.
Ask me about our driving habits however, and I will agree with you.:p

Entering the 21st Century.

You can thank people like me who work in the Resource industry for helping you to get the stuff out of the ground that provides you with the lifestyle you have.

This may come as a shock to you but the days of workers being employed Monday to friday 9-5 are gone. I lost count of the times of would go away offshore to work, get back late after being away for 1-2 months and finding everything shut-not a supermarket to be seen that was open to actually get something to eat, or to re-stock my fridge. Hell ordering some furniture requires you to Wait Awhile whilst it was delievered from interstate-or the dreaded Basil Zemphilus(sp) football show WTF!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back