WA Trading hours regulations: Absolute Joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

She was of the opinion that 'we' didn't need extended trading and how terrible it's going to be.

I dont think its going to be terrible if more shops are open, just dont think we need them.

IYO if that makes me backward, so be it.

Read up on one of my previous posts, i lived in Canberra when shopping hours were deregulated and it destroyed local shops.

Mr Q is a muppet.

Well there's a considered and intelligent argument that's not a load of complete and utter claptrap.

2005 is half a decade ago. Things have changed since then, and yes they have changed since 1958 as well.

Five years is not fifty years. If you had another referendum today, a vast majority of the people voting in it would be the people who voted in the one in 2005. Unlike 1958 where there'd be very few. So let's all use our common sense and not try and pretend that 2005 was in the middle ages because we don't agree with the result back then.

As for the argument that "things have changed" - well that was the argument for revisiting daylight savings (and that was after 15 years). Yet, as almost anyone could have predicted, it got the same result as it did at the previous three referenda. I heard repeated comments that we had to have a DLS referendum because all the 18-35 year olds were going to change the result this time - even thought they didn't in 1992 or 1983...

Which is a challenging concept to drill into the heads of half of this wretched ****ing state. I love Perth. I couldnt imagine living anywhere else, not even my home country.

Well part of living in a place with a democracy is accepting the vote of the majority. A vote was taken on this issue, and it should have laid it to bed for at least another 20 years - except that some people can't accept it when they don't win an argument. There was a time and place to make the argument, and it wasn't made.

Get over it.

I couldnt move to Melbourne or Sydney. But anyone with two eyes and a brain can tell that WA seems to pride itself on having the most archaic system in Australia.

That's entirely a matter of opinion. I actually think WA is enlightened by having a day without the rampant materialism of unlimited trading. A day of rest isn't because of religious beliefs - I reckon those beliefs come from the need for people to have that day. I actually reckon that the rest of the world has gone backward in this respect (well those bits that just have to have Sunday trading anyway).

I wanted extended trading on weeknights, but hey, I was in the minority on that one, so I'll live with it.

Its not an eastern state lead, its shock horror an around the world 21st Century sort of concept-the days of 9-5 work is long gone!!

Actually, large swathes of Europe don't have deregulated hours - particularly the Sunday trading hours (France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Scandinavia, Italy Spain etc).

However, they often have them in tourist precincts and the like, so tourists would be unlikely to see the effect - plus of course when you're on holidays, you're not really looking for supermarkets etc.

Regarding the 2005 referendum results.
People who make the assumption that the wording of both questions influenced the results, insults the intelligence WA voters.

Those who think they hear banjo music by living in WA should leave.

Population increase in WA over the last 60 years is as much by importing as breeding. Therefore by generalising about the citizens and our preferences insults us all, and makes the critiques look like a bunch of immature sulkers.

Carpenter forced a 3 year trial onto the citizens of WA and got dropped kicked out of play for his idiocy. Barnett has obviously been influenced by a vocal minority backed the financial lobby groups will also get savaged by the WA voters.

Just as the NT is not like the rest of Oz and every one outside is 'down south' most of us in WA see everyone else as 'over east'

One thing always makes me smile and shake my head. When i her a a wise man from the East or his lap dog telling me what I should be doing.

Well there's a considered and intelligent argument that's not a load of complete and utter claptrap.

Five years is not fifty years. If you had another referendum today, a vast majority of the people voting in it would be the people who voted in the one in 2005. Unlike 1958 where there'd be very few. So let's all use our common sense and not try and pretend that 2005 was in the middle ages because we don't agree with the result back then.

As for the argument that "things have changed" - well that was the argument for revisiting daylight savings (and that was after 15 years). Yet, as almost anyone could have predicted, it got the same result as it did at the previous three referenda. I heard repeated comments that we had to have a DLS referendum because all the 18-35 year olds were going to change the result this time - even thought they didn't in 1992 or 1983...

Well part of living in a place with a democracy is accepting the vote of the majority. A vote was taken on this issue, and it should have laid it to bed for at least another 20 years - except that some people can't accept it when they don't win an argument. There was a time and place to make the argument, and it wasn't made.

Get over it.

That's entirely a matter of opinion. I actually think WA is enlightened by having a day without the rampant materialism of unlimited trading. A day of rest isn't because of religious beliefs - I reckon those beliefs come from the need for people to have that day. I actually reckon that the rest of the world has gone backward in this respect (well those bits that just have to have Sunday trading anyway).

I wanted extended trading on weeknights, but hey, I was in the minority on that one, so I'll live with it.

This argument is going in circles, entirely predictable but i do agree with your last paragraph, its a great day to spend with family and friends, not to have half your family rostered on working, the day should be used for kids or your own sport.

If you really need to work, their is work to be found, if you really need to shop their are shops open, but please some rest from the incessant need of western materialism.

I'd even be happy even with just an extention to 7pm weeknights and an extra late night and/or Sunday arvo.

There lies the problem..What people are happy with.

Personally I have no problem with deregulation.

Saying that though means complete deregulation. 24/7/365 days of the year. Schools, shops , Courts, Government Organisations, Banks, what ever. Everything. Always.

The rest of the post was great. But this bit is fantastic.

Agree. That was completely brilliant.

There's a lot of whingers about the "wait awhile" mentality, but perhaps a lot of the "immigrants" from the east move here because they like the lifestyle.

The thing with that DLS referendum, the gap in results was actually larger than the time before that. You'd think with the "next generation" who supposedly wanted it and the increase in population from people moving here that it would've if not got over the line, but the gap would have at least narrowed. Yet the screaming minority will still not be satisfied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This argument is going in circles, entirely predictable but i do agree with your last paragraph, its a great day to spend with family and friends, not to have half your family rostered on working, the day should be used for kids or your own sport.

If you really need to work, their is work to be found, if you really need to shop their are shops open, but please some rest from the incessant need of western materialism.
You're right this argument is going around in circles but this defense of restricted trading hours always makes me laugh.
Just because the shops were to open on sundays, you dont have to be a part of this exercise in capitalism. Just go about your business as per usual. If you dont want it to invade your sundays, then dont let it. Simple. Just let the market decide. If it doesnt work for a particular business then they wont do it. Do you guys liked being ripped off by IGA?
The other bit about family members having to work on a sunday is a furphy. If they do have to work sundays and they dont want to - then find another job. It's not called a service industry for nothing. Simple as that.
Perth (WA in general for that matter) is a great place but the inward looking nature of its citizens is embarassing.

Probably just get it at my local 24hr Service station after I fill the Subaru up with diesel.
Lucky that we got rid of that roster system, or I would be screwed.;)
And is tracking down a "little guy" such a chore? Or don't you know your local area very well?

I know my local area just fine. There are two IGA's and a Woolworths within a 2-3 km ring of my house, with the Woolworths closing at 6 and both IGA's at 8. If I want something at 7pm I'll go to IGA and join the frustrated queues wondering why the shop with 3 checkouts is flat tack and the one with 15 is shut.

You underestimate the political clout that business lobbyists have on policy direction.
They are driving this and Barnett is the sock puppet desperately trying to look in touch with public opinion. And good luck to them.
Agree on Brendan.

No I don't, and business lobbyists are not 'the market', they are political forces who represent a section of the market. Barney is playing politics and sees mileage in supporting extended trading as the interests of his backers and (perceived) public opinion are in line. Two birds, one stone etc.

Initially, (I think but couldn't be bothered looking back), because this whole wait a while thing is pretty stale and irrelevant in the bigger picture.
But, to be honest, I have never had a problem sourcing things on a weekend. ( I will grant you that after 9pm is a different story). I just don't get the vitriol and exhaustive argument over shopping schedules.
Organise your self a bit better, think ahead and stop bloody moaning about such a trivial matter.

This notion that people who support extended trading should simply 'organise themselves' a little better is ridiculous. We're not all housewives, pensioners and dole bludgers with hours of time to kill during the week. Grocery shopping is something you do because it needs to be done, it's not an important event in the social calendar you should need to go out of your way to schedule.

The only reason there is exhaustive argument over shopping schedules is that there is such strong opposition to what I agree is a trivial matter.

The real matter is government pussyfooting and interference. How is it any of the government's business deciding when and where I can shop outside business hours? Either permit it or outlaw it, enough with the ridiculous half measures we have now.

If a servo shuts at 6pm and another stays open all night and I realise at 7pm I don't have any petrol the 2nd servo will get my business. I have no issue with the first servo being shut as it's a private business and they can set their opening hours as they please. If the 2nd servo is more expensive then I'll suck it up.

If I go to Coles at 7pm it's shut, so I must go to IGA. The government restricts a business that wants to be open from opening yet allows its competitor to open. Can someone explain how that is good for competition, and why 'family members' working at Coles are any different to those at Bunnings, IGA, Shell etc.?

Regarding the 2005 referendum results.
People who make the assumption that the wording of both questions influenced the results, insults the intelligence WA voters.

Naive to think that referendum question wording doesn't influence reponses.

Do you think that everyone who voted 'no' in the 1999 republic referendum is against having an Australian head of state?

Carpenter forced a 3 year trial onto the citizens of WA and got dropped kicked out of play for his idiocy. Barnett has obviously been influenced by a vocal minority backed the financial lobby groups will also get savaged by the WA voters.

Carpenter was over-confident and called a snap early election to capitalise on liberal party leadership change. He was voted out because the WA public got the shits with him, not because he implemented a DLS trial.

I dont think its going to be terrible if more shops are open, just dont think we need them.

IYO if that makes me backward, so be it.

It's not that it makes you backward, it's that it makes you inconsiderate. Not everyone is like you, and in any case, the best people to judge whether the demand is there are the retailers themselves. If demand isn't there, they simply won't open. So you don't need to worry your little heart out that not enough people want it - because if that's the case the retailers won't open (which IMO, most of them won't on weeknights anyway).

Given every IGA that I know of that is able to open later does so, i'd say that's a pretty fair indicator that there is demand in the community for later trading hours.

Read up on one of my previous posts, i lived in Canberra when shopping hours were deregulated and it destroyed local shops.

You're clearly confused here - you'll find deregulation doesn't destroy anything. What would have destroyed your local shops is a lack of patronage, probably a result of inefficiencies in the business and a poor business plan.

I'm yet to be convinced why the state government should make the public pay to subsidise such businesses.

Naive to think that referendum question wording doesn't influence reponses.

AFAIK most referendums are not a 'here is question you vill answa in 2 hours or be terminated' type of situation. We all know well in advanced the consequences of yes or no.
Anybody who assumes the voters are ill informed or ignorant prior to a referendum and then blame the question because the 'ill informed and ignorant' have decided to read the question and vote against their own particular view could be described as your atypical sour grapes loser.

Do you think that everyone who voted 'no' in the 1999 republic referendum is against having an Australian head of state?

John Howard did muddy the waters. That referendum alone proves that we Australians look, listen and read. My belief is, even though we should change our Constitution we must make sure we get right model. Even though I voted for the referendum in hindsight I'm glad it was defeated.

Carpenter was over-confident and called a snap early election to capitalise on liberal party leadership change. He was voted out because the WA public got the shits with him, not because he implemented a DLS trial.

Carpenter's 'snap early election' was brought about because of the 3 year trial.
Iirc he had no option but to go early. All the other windows were closed, Knowing full well to call an election later in '08 or early in '09 would have meant going to the polls smack in the middle of a DLS trial.
The DLS trial forced his hand, Yes he was over-confidant and arrogant, He also appeared to make the mistake that too many people make by thinking the average aussie can be led. Ha ha f***ing ha.
PS. I voted Labor in the Assembly because i knew the peanut was going to need every vote he could get.
Just like the straw that broke the camel's back, DLS was the log that rolled the WA Labor party.

Folks, this topic is just a small taste of what the west has to put up with almost every day. (well it was every day during the DLS trials :D). Go to any news article about extended trading, and you will get comments that flow just like this topic every time .

Yes, even though it was an Independent MLA and a Liberal MLA whom introduced the bill and Labor didn't have a policy position on the matter it "was the log that rolled the WA Labor Party".

Makes perfect sense... o_O

Nice way to twist the facts for the unaware.
You forgot to add the bit where the "independent" MLA was, in fact, an ex-Labour Minister who was dumped from the Cabinet and the party for having some highly odious and dubious friends/business associates. Boy, did he have an axe to grind!
And Matt Birney, your Liberal MLA, was desperately trying to keep a public profile, such was his ego after being dumped unceremoniously from the Libs leadership, by lobbing a hand grenade into both parties camps.
I hope that he is enjoying ignominy in his spare parts shop in Boulder.
Both are prize twats.

You forgot to add the bit where the "independent" MLA was, in fact, an ex-Labour Minister who was dumped from the Cabinet and the party for having some highly odious and dubious friends/business associates. Boy, did he have an axe to grind!
And Matt Birney, your Liberal MLA, was desperately trying to keep a public profile, such was his ego after being dumped unceremoniously from the Libs leadership, by lobbing a hand grenade into both parties camps.
I hope that he is enjoying ignominity in his spare parts shop in Boulder.
Both are prize twats.

In hindsight it was a brilliant troll by D'Orazio and Birney.

I hope that he is enjoying ignominity in his spare parts shop in Boulder.
Both are prize twats.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/bp-to-offset-carbon-emissions-through-25-million-birney-deal/story-e6frg2qu-1225786639627?from=public_rss

He can probably spell too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back