2nds Eagles in the WAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never bought into the idea that a young player has to dominate the WAFL before getting a game. Sometimes you just have to hand them a game on merit or talent just to see what happens. This is what i really wish we did with Lamb.

Did Venables really dominate any of his WAFL games? Probably not. And did play well in our pre season games thie year? Not really. And yet we still started him in round 1, then kept him in the side despite the fact he had 7 touches. Did he deserve to keep his spot after that? Nope, but we kept him in for his potential because he did a couple of nice things, now we'll reap the rewards for it.

Same goes for Rioli. His WAFL games this year were deadset average, and he couldn't even run out a game completely. Did he deserve his debut? Probably not going by what he produced for the Royals, yet we still played him in round 2 and kept him in for round 3 despite the fact he only had 8 touches.

Got to cut the umbilicle cord already and expose AFL listed players to actual AFL football :raisedhands:

I feel like comparing anyone from Geelongs midfield is difficult though. Fogarty and Kelly are solid players but I’m not sure they would have the same impact on our list. We’d honestly be lucky if they were getting a game this early. Someone like Constable would’ve been more our go but the knocks on his pace were concerning. Need an upgrade on Reddens position, someone a little stronger and better ball winning ability. Was hoping he would become a quicker version of Priddis. Think we’re all hoping Ah Chee or Sheed can be that guy now.
I was OK taking the best player at our first pick - even if it was a KPP. The second pick had to be a midfielder and L Fogarty was in my mind the best true midfielder available at our pick. I would have taken him with great happiness at 21.

Would we be playing him now? I think probably no for the first 3 games but yes now when we are looking for speed in the forward line and taking some rotations. If you wanted an inside bull, then it is not L Fogarty. If you want someone to play the more Shuey role - then L Fogarty would be an option.

I've never bought into the idea that a young player has to dominate the WAFL before getting a game. Sometimes you just have to hand them a game on merit or talent just to see what happens. This is what i really wish we did with Lamb.

Did Venables really dominate any of his WAFL games? Probably not. And did play well in our pre season games thie year? Not really. And yet we still started him in round 1, then kept him in the side despite the fact he had 7 touches. Did he deserve to keep his spot after that? Nope, but we kept him in for his potential because he did a couple of nice things, now we'll reap the rewards for it.

Same goes for Rioli. His WAFL games this year were deadset average, and he couldn't even run out a game completely. Did he deserve his debut? Probably not going by what he produced for the Royals, yet we still played him in round 2 and kept him in for round 3 despite the fact he only had 8 touches.

Got to cut the umbilicle cord already and expose AFL listed players to actual AFL football :raisedhands:
Great point here because some players have the ability to play at the level they are picked. I have seen it many times how a player manages to step up in his performance when he steps up to a higher competition level.

I think it's more your blue chip midfielders who lack those special traits that need to dominate WAFL. Same goes for KPP's, you aren't going to bring in any key position player unless they're dominating to the extent that they can't not be selected.

J

I dare say the difference between DV & Rioli and say Lamb & Partington is the fact that they seem to think the former pair are talented. At least, talented enough with to develop proactively.

I don’t think they saw it with Lamb and they don’t seem to see it with Parto

You obviously do not see wafl games reguarly.Venables looked real classy and a cut above partington and mutimer who people were pleading to get a afl game.what kept venables from getting a game last year was his limited preparation and his untimely injury.As for rioli you must be on a different football planet as he made karpany look like a muppet and only his lack of fitness and injury problems stopped him from playing afl.

Great point here because some players have the ability to play at the level they are picked. I have seen it many times how a player manages to step up in his performance when he steps up to a higher competition level.

I suspect this description fits Ainsworth pretty well TBH. Played league in Esperance as a 15 (?) yr old - moved into WAFL ressies and now seems able to step up to WAFL league. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes if/when he gets his chance at AFL.

I saw him running against subi he was chasing subi players all day like the rest of them.more to footy then speed otherwise we would have got billy hartung.

Hence my previous post about playing in good structures and understanding the game plan.

That debarcel against Subi, was there any structure or game plan to speak of? No their wasn't.

As explained I feel Petro has the skill set and a nose for a goal that will see him play better at the higher level playing alongside much better players.

Sure Petro is young but he has the tools. He won't be expected to dominate just play a role. Run and defend, play the sling shot attacker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bBBHZcE.png

uwI02Iq.png

From the West, summarising:

Ah Chee: Energetic debut
Ainsworth: One of the best afield
Mellen: Combined well with Brander
Ollen: Little impact off the bench
Bayok: Lively and helped create forward pressure
Brander: Impressive effort
England: Sound effort
Karpany: Flashed in and out
McInnes: Terrific
Mutimer: Useful in a variety of roles
Petruccelle: Eye-catching
Rotham: Reliable effort in defence
Schofield: Restricted Spencer White and rebounded strongly.

All's good when EP win well ....certainly seem to have better depth going forward hopefully .
Question must be when will we play Brander probably sooner then later .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back