Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenwood probably not the best example, but you get my drift.
The other thing that gets me is how often we draft players that need development. Other teams seem to nail ready to go players, so why can't we? Rachele the exception obviously.

What about Soligo? Berry, Rowe, McHenry, Jones, Thilthorpe, Schoenberg? All these players are from the last 3 drafts and are in the top 10-12 for most games played from their draft class.

Probably says more about our list

Thats a separate topic (and I agree).

However, our boards resident "Reed Richards" started sprouting that we never draft AFL ready players.

You can also add to my previous list - Keays and Butts.

The facts remain that under Nicks - we have drafted players that can come in and play AFL - Schoenberg, Butts, Keays, Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe, Berry, Rowe - and includes our first two picks from before Nicksy - Jones/McHenry.

Thats a separate topic (and I agree).

However, our boards resident "Reed Richards" started sprouting that we never draft AFL ready players.

You can also add to my previous list - Keays and Butts.

The facts remain that under Nicks - we have drafted players that can come in and play AFL - Schoenberg, Butts, Keays, Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe, Berry, Rowe - and includes our first two picks from before Nicksy - Jones/McHenry.
If we are going to include jones you can probably include everybody as being able to play afl footy straight up, they just haven’t tried them.
What’s the time frame? Butts took nearly a full season to play.

If we are going to include jones you can probably include everybody as being able to play afl footy straight up, they just haven’t tried them.
What’s the time frame? Butts took nearly a full season to play.

Well no.

The slight from several posters is that we never draft "AFL ready players". When in fact over the past 3 years we have drafted lots of AFL ready players as shown by the amount of games they have played compared to their draft class peers.

Well no.

The slight from several posters is that we never draft "AFL ready players". When in fact over the past 3 years we have drafted lots of AFL ready players as shown by the amount of games they have played compared to their draft class peers.

Well no.

Strange way of looking at it as we've been a bottom four side for three years, should be a lot easier to get games here than at a top team full of performing players.

Even so, the top four Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney and Pies have got games into draftees, some of them are very good players already

Strange way of looking at it as we've been a bottom four side for three years, should be a lot easier to get games here than at a top team full of performing players.

Even so, the top four Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney and Pies have got games into draftees, some of them are very good players already

Well good for them. But what does that have to do with us "drafting players that aren't ready for AFL"?

Those top 4 clubs this year and their 2021 draft hands
Adelaide - 3 national draft picks - 29 games (Soligo 16,Rachele 13)

Collingwood - 4 national draft picks - 22 games (all Daicos who was a father son pick).
Melbourne - 3 national draft picks - 0 combined games
Sydney - 4 national draft picks - 3 combined games
Geelong - 5 national draft picks - 2 combined games

Lets also look into how those clubs did from 2020 draft:

Adelaide - 5 national draft picks - 112 games (Thilthorpe 25, Pedlar 5, Cook 11, Berry 35, Rowe 36)

Collingwood - 6 national draft picks - 86 combined games (McReery 32, Henry 25, Poulter 12, McRae 11, McInnes 6).
Melbourne - 3 national draft picks - 24 combined games (Bowey 24)
Sydney - 3 national draft picks - 84 combined games (McDonald 22, Campbell 22, Gulden)
Geelong - 3 national draft picks - 28 combined games (Max Holmes 28)

I'll say it again. The notion that we haven't drafted as many ready made AFL players as other clubs is pure poppycock.

Reckon worth a read - reckon we, AFC, provided the necessary support? Make you own mind up.

View attachment 1495027

they (the club) tossed him out the door for the optics of it and to appease the namby pamby filled supporter base..

any decent club would’ve gotten around the kid, supported him, told the media to back the fxxk off and also backed themselves in to become a force for positive change in this young mans life. A young man who was a large part their responsibility.

the way the Adelaide Crows as a club dealt with this lad and treated him says more about the club than anything else.

it says the club itself lacks confidence in its own abilities as an organisation to positively influence and mentor some of the young men that are employed within it..

it would rather cut and run to save face.. take the easy option rather than risk bad optics.. even if that means leaving a young man out in the cold.

and wow after reading that… the respect I have for Eddie, and now his wife Anna, has gone from immense to stratospheric.

what genuinely unbeleivable Australians. what amazing human beings.

Anna did exactly what the crows as a club should‘ve done. made sure a young man who had fallen into some personal trouble in his life was not tossed aside but rather supported, mentored and given the help/guidance he needed to get his life back on track.

its brings tears to the eyes thinking of how much s**t Eddie, Anna and their family have had to put up with over the years during Eddie’s career.. putting up with horrible racist garbage directed at them from pathetic low life ignorant scum..

yet, in the face of it all, they are still clearly some of the most loving, giving, caring and forgiving people this sport, and this nation, has known.

hats off to both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon worth a read - reckon we, AFC, provided the necessary support? Make you own mind up.

View attachment 1495027
So they prepared him for life after Footy. Teaching basic office skills.

He realised his Footy talent is good enough to have another crack at AFL and not waste his early 20s at a computer in an office.

As I thought, being sacked by us was the reality check he needed.

Personally still think it is a good news story for him turning his life around, rather than a negative one on us sacking a guy who brought bad PR to the club three times in a year.

Something no recent AFL player has done and stayed at their club.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So they prepared him for life after Footy. Teaching basic office skills.

He realised his Footy talent is good enough to have another crack at AFL and not waste his early 20s at a computer in an office.

As I thought, being sacked by us was the reality check he needed.

Personally still think it is a good news story for him turning his life around, rather than a negative one on us sacking a guy who brought bad PR to the club three times in a year.

Something no recent AFL player has done and stayed at their club.

The question we as crows supporters should be asking though is..

Why couldnt this reality check, this turn around of his life, this guidance, this positive direction, and the now career success he is experiencing, been acheived by our club?..

This is a monumental failure.

This lad should have been supported, should have had the mentoring and guidance he needed provided by the club.

Doesnt it make you wonder… What sort of guidance and development is the club providing all our other young players?.. what support and mentoring are they providing these young men?

Looks like few very basic steps, initiated by Anna and the SANFL Eagles, has very quickly reset the lad and now its Geelong, not the Crows, who are reaping the rewards.

Why couldnt this have occured at our club?.. is the question I’d be asking. Is it really that hard?.. do the Crows, as a professional organisation, not have the programs and structures in place to achieve this?, if not, why not?.

Why couldnt this reality check, this turn around of his life, this guidance, this positive direction, and the now career success he is experiencing, been acheived by our club?..

This lad should have been supported, should have had the mentoring and guidance he needed provided by the club.

Doesnt it make you wonder… What sort of guidance and development is the club providing all our other young players?.. what support and mentoring are they providing these young men?

Looks like few very basic steps, initiated by Anna and the SANFL Eagles, has very quickly reset the lad and now its Geelong, not the Crows, who are reaping the rewards.

Why couldnt this have occured at our club?.. is the question I’d be asking. Is it really that hard?.. do the Crows, as a professional organisation, not have the programs and structures in place to achieve this?, if not, why not?.
I do agree as supporters the question should be asked about support and how did it get so far.

But, I reckon the support was most likely there. Especially after the first and second issue.

Our club can give all the "support" in the world but he always had the safety net of a contract.

Take that away and it is real.

Eagles kept him busy while his team mates worked 9 to 5. Teaching him basic stuff.

At the Crows he spends that time working on his Footy, surrounded by team mates.

Sitting at his desk, doing mundane office tasks without an AFL contract was a wake up call. Crows can't replicate that.

Also can't discount the loss of Eddie and Anna Betts. He lived with them and they provided life structure. And you can't have a crack at the club there as Eddie was always going home to Melbourne.

A 23 year old with 4 years in the AFL system should know.

You should not get done DUI
You should not get caught with illicit drugs on you.
You should make sure your "mates" don't take a photo of you near drugs. And when you do indulge, as many players do, do it in private with people you trust.

There is a point where an individual is responsible for their own actions.

Last edited:
they (the club) tossed him out the door for the optics of it and to appease the namby pamby filled supporter base..

any decent club would’ve gotten around the kid, supported him, told the media to back the fxxk off and also backed themselves in to become a force for positive change in this young mans life. A young man who was a large part their responsibility.

the way the Adelaide Crows as a club dealt with this lad and treated him says more about the club than anything else.

it says the club itself lacks confidence in its own abilities as an organisation to positively influence and mentor some of the young men that are employed within it..

it would rather cut and run to save face.. take the easy option rather than risk bad optics.. even if that means leaving a young man out in the cold.

and wow after reading that… the respect I have for Eddie, and now his wife Anna, has gone from immense to stratospheric.

what genuinely unbeleivable Australians. what amazing human beings.

Anna did exactly what the crows as a club should‘ve done. made sure a young man who had fallen into some personal trouble in his life was not tossed aside but rather supported, mentored and given the help/guidance he needed to get his life back on track.

its brings tears to the eyes thinking of how much s**t Eddie, Anna and their family have had to put up with over the years during Eddie’s career.. putting up with horrible racist garbage directed at them from pathetic low life ignorant scum..

yet, in the face of it all, they are still clearly some of the most loving, giving, caring and forgiving people this sport, and this nation, has known.

hats off to both of them.
The club hasn't learned anything either, look at how the club handled the Walker incident.

I said it at the time and stand by it now, the club essentially hung him out to dry publicly.

Other clubs seem to handle things and support their players far better than we do.

The club hasn't learned anything either, look at how the club handled the Walker incident.

I said it at the time and stand by it now, the club essentially hung him out to dry publicly.

Other clubs seem to handle things and support their players far better than we do.
I agree with this.

The distance between the club and Tex over that was poor.

Although probably more about PR, and I reckon Tex understood that. Didn't affect his relationship with the club.

The answer is simple and obvious.

Its because we were such a rabble from September 2017 - September 2021.

Its like you all forgot how bad September 2019 - September 2021 was. Remember the Jason Dunstall led review? Remember sacking Coach Don Pyke, Removing Tex from Captaincy, Our CEO resigning, firing Campo and Burton. Winning our first wooden spoon?

The fact that anyone wonders why we weren't the right place to turn around a talented, but troubled kid is crazy.

He’s had more than two
Broke his hand in a fight 2017
DUI 2018
Accused of Indecent assault in 2020, incident in 2015. Innocent. Well no charges laid after Vic Police and AFL investigation.
NY incident 2021
Bali incident 2022.

Ok 4. Spread over 5 years.

Because he didn't want that at the time.

The club offered him the chance to go play in the SANFL for the year, get his life back on track, and then come back to us, and he declined to do that.

It was only after the intervention by Anna/Woodville-West Torrens where he started getting his life back on track.

Full credit to him for bouncing back the way that he has. Eventually though, Eddie will move on from Geelong. I hope Tyson is able to stay on track when that time comes.

Broke his hand in a fight 2017
DUI 2018
Accused of Indecent assault in 2020, incident in 2015. Innocent. Well no charges laid after Vic Police and AFL investigation.
NY incident 2021
Bali incident 2022.

Ok 4. Spread over 5 years.

Enough to suggest a pattern of selfish and irresponsible behaviour IMO.

Back