Opinion We have the cattle

Remove this Banner Ad

Just imagine the ceiling of this group if we'd had the guts to go after a Kingsley or a McRae......
Nah!
It's only Ken's absolute genius that gives our roster of total spuds anything like a winning percentage over 50%.
Who else are we gunna get that won't pale into complete insignificance against this man's immortal record?

Chris Scott said it, we are and have been for a while an emotions based team, when we are on a high there unstoppable, but if we are off, they can stink.
Holy shit I've cracked it. Kenny needs to embrace the cheerleader joke and go full spas on the boundary.

The mental side of it is very much on the coach imo. His noise is very much on a negative or loser slant and I am sure this permeates to the playing group. Mind set is an amazing weapon and if you are confident and believe anything can happen. All I know is, that if I were a coach I would be pretty excited to get my hands on our list.
It struck me reading a biography of Ange Postecoglou how much attitude matters and how different a winner's attitude is. IN 2000 (I think) he qualified South Melbourne as champion of Oceana into some (short lived) world club competition which had the champion of each region. ONe of the teams was Alex Ferguson's Man U coming off the treble.

Apparently, everyone at South Melbourne was hoping they would avoid Man U in the group stages and draw easier opponents from Asia or Central America. Ange was the opposite. He wanted to draw Man U so he had the opportunity to test himself against Ferguson and he didn't just want to shake hands at the end - he wanted to beat him.

They drew Man U and Ange then managed to convince his players - who were still semi-professionals with day jobs as plumbers and electricians - that this was a fantastic opportunity for them and one that they should embrace and be grateful for rather than fear. He built them up and set them up to play to win. They lost 2-1 but it was like a Yorke Peninsula footy team playing the reigning AFL premiers. It is such a contrast from Mr "Finals are scary"

Ange notoriously does not get close to his players. NO one wants to sit next to him on plane trips because he doesn't want to talk. He doesn't go out with players or the other coaches. He wants distance to make it easier to make the hard decisions (to drop and move players on, give tough messages, fire assistants etc). The guy is just ruthless and single mindedly devoted to winning. And he cuts a lot of people loose along the way. It is the opposite of fatherly figure - good guy Ken.

The other thing with Ange that you see all the time now at Spurs is that he does not really celebrate the wins along the way in the media (wins against Geelong, finishing in the top four - close loses against good teams). He is just ruthlessly pursues the end goal of winning trophies. He says it all the time - it is not about progress or finishing top 4 - it is about winning the main prize. You'd never see the sort of carry on like winning in Geelong. It is just a step (that of itself has no real value) on the journey to the ultimate prize (that has real historic value). In 20 years time, people remember who won the premiership, not the games along the way

Ange would whip us into a premiership team in his first year!

Postecoglou is right, but he's not saying anything new to what John Cahill said 50 years ago or Fos Williams 75 years ago.

Port Adelaide embraces the challenges, we live for them. That's how you become the best you can be. There are no scary games, there are only games where you should be feared.

Do we have the cattle? Hell yeah. Now go out and get that new picture on the premiership wall of fame.

drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

It struck me reading a biography of Ange Postecoglou how much attitude matters and how different a winner's attitude is. IN 2000 (I think) he qualified South Melbourne as champion of Oceana into some (short lived) world club competition which had the champion of each region. ONe of the teams was Alex Ferguson's Man U coming off the treble.

Apparently, everyone at South Melbourne was hoping they would avoid Man U in the group stages and draw easier opponents from Asia or Central America. Ange was the opposite. He wanted to draw Man U so he had the opportunity to test himself against Ferguson and he didn't just want to shake hands at the end - he wanted to beat him.

They drew Man U and Ange then managed to convince his players - who were still semi-professionals with day jobs as plumbers and electricians - that this was a fantastic opportunity for them and one that they should embrace and be grateful for rather than fear. He built them up and set them up to play to win. They lost 2-1 but it was like a Yorke Peninsula footy team playing the reigning AFL premiers. It is such a contrast from Mr "Finals are scary"

Ange notoriously does not get close to his players. NO one wants to sit next to him on plane trips because he doesn't want to talk. He doesn't go out with players or the other coaches. He wants distance to make it easier to make the hard decisions (to drop and move players on, give tough messages, fire assistants etc). The guy is just ruthless and single mindedly devoted to winning. And he cuts a lot of people loose along the way. It is the opposite of fatherly figure - good guy Ken.

The other thing with Ange that you see all the time now at Spurs is that he does not really celebrate the wins along the way in the media (wins against Geelong, finishing in the top four - close loses against good teams). He is just ruthlessly pursues the end goal of winning trophies. He says it all the time - it is not about progress or finishing top 4 - it is about winning the main prize. You'd never see the sort of carry on like winning in Geelong. It is just a step (that of itself has no real value) on the journey to the ultimate prize (that has real historic value). In 20 years time, people remember who won the premiership, not the games along the way

Ange would whip us into a premiership team in his first year!
Dunno if I've posted this before but I love the way Ange handles himself so brilliantly and calmly against strong fodder from Fozzy.

Also, this exchange is least likely to ever be anywhere near close to the AFL shill media.

Ange is old school Port with creed up his eyeballs.

Our list is better than last year’s Collingwood side in my opinion. The difference is Mcrae had them believing they were the best team in it. It became their identity.
The Collingwood side of last year to me proved that we have had the cattle for many years. IMO, their year last year was our 2014, but they were able to sustain their level longer in the season, earnt 2 home finals and rode their luck through 2 finals they would have lost had they been played elsewhere.

Our issue is 100% coaching, the spark of change, the fundamentals we don't train and fail to execute and our mental weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It became their identity.
This cannot be overestimated.

They have a way, a style, a gameplan, an attitude, an identity.
All of the players on their team know what the are doing.
Melbourne have that identity as well. They have been impressive this year.

We have an identity but it is of an unaccountable downhill skiier.
We really need to change that and the only way seems to be SACK HINKLEY.

Bring back the Creed.

Last edited:
and rode their luck through 2 finals

There’s always some element of luck involved in winning, even in sustained success. However, in constant competitiveness, there’s none.

If you are a contender year after year, that’s not luck. That’s competence. You are keeping yourself in a position to win.

From there to winning, then it’s a matter of exploring marginal gains and getting lucky if necessary when it counts.

A very good coach would turn this team into a dynasty.

We leave 30 to 40 points on the grass each game.

The talent is so high but the professionalism with gameplan, match ups and basic skills is not there.
The main areas of improvement would need to be:

better gameplan that suits the strengths and weaknesses of the players and mix of players overall
kicking straight for goals
missed tackles, especially in the midfield
ground balls in the defensive 50
individualised matchups
a gameplan and way to goal when contested ball is force upon us
defenders knowing and playing the basics of defending especially our small and medium defenders
forwards knowing and playing the basics of forward craft

Most of this is easily rectified. I hope the coaching staff is reading.

There are quite a few similarities (unfortunately) between Tottenham and Port Adelaide under the current regime. Forever underachieving, failing when the pressure comes and generally being thought of as a bit of a meme.

Ange bemoaned Tottenham’s “fragile foundations” as being the underlying problem for their lack of success. Reading between the lines, this is due to the culture across all levels of the club filtering down from the top.

Tottenham’s previous manager Antonio Conte spoke out against the club in his final press conference before being sacked. If you replace Tottenham with Port and the owner with David Koch, his criticisms have similarities with port; always looking for excuses for losing, not wanting to perform under pressure, weak mentality, etc.

These things all start at the very top and it’s no wonder Port hasn’t had any success during David Koch’s time as President. “Little club from Alberton” and all that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back