Rd 16 - L 41 - 63 (29 pt loss)
Rd 17 - L 46 - 47 (32 pt loss)
Rd 18 - D 66 - 66 (5 pt loss)
Rd 19 - W 70 - 61 (33 pt loss)

We have lost 14/18 first qtrs

Our current record sits at 5 W 13 L 20 pts 83%

If first qtrs never existed our record would be 7W 9L 2D 32 pts 89.8%

I get it, coulda shoulda woulda.

I also understand that we have in certain games been sort of competitive Q1 only to get blown out in Q2 or 3 or 4.

But also, why the * are we so consistently s**t at starting games? Like over three quarters of the time. Playing catch up isn't fun so why do we do it so often? We are running out of puff so badly at the end of games and hence conceding a bunch of junk time to let the oppo take the margin from 20odd to 40odd because we are so gassed from playing catch up footy.

Fix it pls.

Last edited:
If you remove the first qtr scores our season looks like this

Rd 1 - W 70- 54 (Actual: 1 pt loss)
Rd 2 - L 47 - 67 (42 pt loss)
Rd 3 - W 83 - 60 (4 pt win)
Rd 4 - W 73 - 70 (4 pt loss)
Rd 5 - W 76 - 63 (19 pt win)
Rd 6 - W 47 - 39 (1 pt win)
Rd 7 - L 47 - 79 (59 pt loss)
Rd 8 - L 54 - 95 (49 pt loss)
Rd 9 - L 45 - 70 (36 pt loss)
Rd 10 - L 58 - 77 (21 pt loss)
Rd 11 - L 49 - 81 (42 pt loss)
Rd 12 - D 56 - 56 (31 pt win)
Rd 14 - L 59 - 108 (43 pt loss)
Rd 15 - W 82 - 34 (57 pt win)
Rd 16 - L 41 - 63 (29 pt loss)
Rd 17 - L 46 - 47 (32 pt loss)
Rd 18 - D 66 - 66 (5 pt loss)
Rd 19 - W 70 - 61 (33 pt loss)

We have lost 15/18 first qtrs

Our current record sits at 5 W 13 L 20 pts 83%

If first qtrs never existed our record would be 7W 9L 2D 32 pts 89.8%

I get it, coulda shoulda woulda.

I also understand that we have in certain games been sort of competitive Q1 only to get blown out in Q2 or 3 or 4.

But also, why the * are we so consistently s**t at starting games? Like over three quarters of the time. Playing catch up isn't fun so why do we do it so often? We are running out of puff so badly at the end of games and hence conceding a bunch of junk time to let the oppo take the margin from 20odd to 40odd because we are so gassed from playing catch up footy.

Fix it pls.
We suck in general. The first quarter is when teams stamp their authority on a game. There is a very high correlation in winning the game if you win quarter 1.

Our s**t first quarters tell me that the players don't respect him, don't believe in his gameplan and are confused by Nicks

Last edited:

Picture the state of a “rebuilding” team versus a “contender”, like a team that are in year 6 playing against sides that are in year 8.
Who do you think more often than not will win the first quarters?

The more inexperienced (youngest side we’ve picked in at least a decade) we are, the more likely we are to be beaten up in the first quarters. This should be the expected norm in any professional team sports, not just in footy.

Picture the state of a “rebuilding” team versus a “contender”, like a team that are in year 6 playing against sides that are in year 8.

So all games are should be lost in the first quarter?

It’s really hard to believe you actually think this

The more inexperienced (youngest side we’ve picked in at least a decade) we are, the more likely we are to be beaten up in the first quarters. This should be the expected norm in any professional team sports, not just in footy.

I’m not sure that makes any sense, or at least in terms why their should be any specific relevance to first quarters compared to others

Both teams prepare to play each other, they know how the opposition like to move the ball and prefer to setup.

Either our first quarters are a lack of motivation from the coach (hard to believe really) or that opposition coaches find us easy to prepare for and counter.

With a match winning lead it’s quite common for the cue to put away, and sometimes that can lead to a result in cruise mode

So all games are should be lost in the first quarter?

It’s really hard to believe you actually think this

I’m not sure that makes any sense, or at least in terms why their should be any specific relevance to first quarters compared to others
I’m no longer in the mood to play your mind games. When did I say I expect them to lose all the first quarters?

Do you not get the point that young men are likely to be beaten up by older men (with stronger physique)?

I think sometimes in games like yesterday the better team gets the lead and gets comfortable. You don't need many players to drop a bit in intensity and the lesser teams starts to look better.

Obviously not always the case but plays a part in my opinion.

I’m no longer in the mood to play your mind games. When did I say I expect them to lose all the first quarters?

When you tried to normalise it as being expected.

Do you not get the point that young men are likely to be beaten up by older men (with stronger physique)?

Your internet browsing history is of no concern to anyone else

Okay but it's way worse than more often than not.

2020:

First qtrs won: 5 (29%)
Lost: 11 (65%)
Of those losses- by 10 pts or less in Q1: 3 (27%)
Drawn: 1 (6%)

2021:

First qtrs won: 8 (36%)
Lost: 13 (59%)
Of those losses - by 10pts or less in Q1: 9 (69%)
Drawn: 1 (4%)

2022:

First qtrs won: 4 (22%)
Lost: 14 (78%)
Of those losses - by 10pts or less in Q1: 8 (53%)

At best we are going to match our wooden spoon year for first qtrs won (except not really because that was a shortened season).

As others have stated other teams can get the jump on us and then sit on their lead, keeping us comfortably down by a few goals as we peg away and then pile it on at the end when we are gassed.

I don't think we can just dismiss this as a symptom of being young, particularly given last year's progress. I understand there can be regression but that is frighteningly bad regression.

I just think it's closer to what Sanders is saying about us being easy to coach against.

Last edited:
Okay but it's way worse than more often than not.

2020:

First qtrs won: 5 (29%)
Lost: 11 (65%)
Of those losses- by 10 pts or less in Q1: 3 (27%)
Drawn: 1 (6%)

2021:

First qtrs won: 8 (36%)
Lost: 13 (59%)
Of those losses - by 10pts or less in Q1: 9 (69%)
Drawn: 1 (4%)

2022:

First qtrs won: 3 (17%)
Lost: 15 (83%)
Of those losses - by 10pts or less in Q1: 8 (53%)

At best we are going to match our wooden spoon year for first qtrs won (except not really because that was a shortened season).

As others have stated other teams can get the jump on us and then sit on their lead, keeping us comfortably down by a few goals as we peg away and then pile it on at the end when we are gassed.

I don't think we can just dismiss this as a symptom of being young, particularly given last year's progress. I understand there can be regression but that is frighteningly bad regression.

I just think it's closer to what Sanders is saying about us being easy to coach against.
If we’re simply easy to coach against, then we should be blown out of the water by the first quarter, and then being blown out some more by all the other remaining quarters. No team is going to simply put the foot off the pedal if we’re a team of easy-beats. Remember that the percentages are important for all the teams either to make the Finals or to make the top 4.

Look at North Melbourne who currently has an abysmal percentage, because teams are killing them in most of the quarters. No one is saying to them “we’ll let you off in the last quarters because we feel sorry for you”.

Not saying I’m happy with losing the first quarters though, just trying to give a rationale to your OP. Remembering also we are going even younger this year, not the exact same side from 2021. A side that probably has a lot more rotations than all the previous years too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’re simply easy to coach against, then we should be blown out of the water by the first quarter, and then being blown out some more by all the other remaining quarters. No team is going to simply put the foot off the pedal if we’re a team of easy-beats. Remember that the percentages are important for all the teams either to make the Finals or to make the top 4.

Look at North Melbourne who currently has an abysmal percentage, because teams are killing them in most of the quarters. No one is saying to them “we’ll let you off in the last quarters because we feel sorry for you”.

Not saying I’m happy with losing the first quarters though, just trying to give a rationale to your OP. Remembering also we are going even younger this year, not the exact same side from 2021. A side that probably has a lot more rotations than all the previous years too.

I'm not suggesting teams are letting us off the hook. I think it's a combination of us putting someone behind the ball and perhaps getting into gear a bit more ourselves but I believe the trend is alarming enough to be a concern and I just cannot fathom how young kids lose so badly in first quarters and why we should accept it, particularly when the stats suggest we have been better in the preceding two years. We may be younger but it's not like we had a load of debutants (many inexperienced players yes but why is that a licence to start slow?).

I think it's coaching more than an age profile.

I thought you were the 4th quarter expert?

Why do we have to wait until quarter time to react and make changes to stem the flow of the opposition? Surely we have a leadership group on the ground that should be reactive once a team gets a run on so we can stem the tide without having to get instructions from the coaching staff at the quarter time break!

Why do we have to wait until quarter time to react and make changes to stem the flow of the opposition? Surely we have a leadership group on the ground that should be reactive once a team gets a run on so we can stem the tide without having to get instructions from the coaching staff at the quarter time break!

Finally someone gets it

Yep.

Furthermore, why don't the coaches assume that we're going to play shithouse and whatever changes they'll implement as a reaction do them beforehand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back