Weitering - The Old Generation defender returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Currently leads the AFL for 1%era and Spoils. We used to have the best key defender in the AFL in Steven Silvagni. Now we have the next one coming through. With the new rules and the big forwards scoring heavily we now need the old key defensive post that stops his opponent one on one rather than the zone and the third man in to spoil or intercept. Although Jones is good at this teams now are in need of players that can stop Harry McKay and Taylor Walker. Weitering gets to train with McKay; one one gets better the other does too.

we’ve been looking for an area of strength that Carlton can build itself upon towards greater success. Weitering can be that for us. Our defence looks like the best group put together in this current era.

EyVnrQnVIAMVgWd

Currently leads the AFL for 1%era and Spoils. We used to have the best key defender in the AFL in Steven Silvagni. Now we have the next one coming through. With the new rules and the big forwards scoring heavily we now need the old key defensive post that stops his opponent one on one rather than the zone and the third man in to spoil or intercept. Although Jones is good at this teams now are in need of players that can stop Harry McKay and Taylor Walker. Weitering gets to train with McKay; one one gets better the other does too.

we’ve been looking for an area of strength that Carlton can build itself upon towards greater success. Weitering can be that for us. Our defence looks like the best group put together in this current era.

View attachment 1096166

He is an absolute gem.

Reads the flight of the ball brilliantly and is fantastic one-on-one. Rarely loses a marking contest. Some matches, he is a one-man wall across CHB.

He has beautiful skills for a big man. I'd say his kicking is top 5 at the club (was top 3 before Martin & Williams).

A very smart footballer. Rarely makes stupid mistakes, has plenty of time and space when he has the ball.

You add together all that physical ability and footy IQ and top it off with a great mindset. Is a hard worker, who is consistent and never gives up. A great leader for the backline and the club.

Perhaps he could be a bit more attacking, but that would sacrifice some of his blanketing of his opponent. I'd say his one weakness is probably a lack of elite speed off the mark. He can get a little exposed by quick forwards who mostly mark on the lead. But hey, even Superman had his kryptonite.

One of my favourite blues (in case you couldn't tell).

We have a nice mix of tall defenders. We have a big strong bodied defender in Weitering and a tall and quick defender in Jones. Both can take a mark and lay a spoil. The third tall defender spot is a weak point for us but with Parks stepping in and playing well that helps a lot and Marchbank could be in the picture again soon.

With the changes, backmen definitely need to be able to defend one on one which is great to see.

Michael Jamison was a fantastic defender for us - one of my favourite players ever.

Michael Jamison was a fantastic defender for us - one of my favourite players ever.
Me too. As underrated as they come.

I hear Jack Riewoldt still has nightmares of the things Jamison used to whisper in his ear, and keeps a premiership medal under his pillow just to feel safe.

I think the previously Williamson/Newman role needs to be a defence first role with the addition of saad and SPS. So it compliments weitering and his defence first approach. Were starting to see the players valuing their role in the backline rather than always wanting to run and kick.

Love weiters
Wouldn’t mind us looking for a Liam Jones replacement tbh, I love him, but he’s not getting any younger. Know JW plays tall but feel we need another big def coming through..
BMcKay..? Lol

Some people have mentioned Kemp as growing to key defender size? If true he's the perfect replacement for Jones at CHB and perfect to develop as the third tall in our defence. Being injured doesn't help. His skills, speed and natural football ability are something to get excited about.

Some people have mentioned Kemp as growing to key defender size? If true he's the perfect replacement for Jones at CHB and perfect to develop as the third tall in our defence. Being injured doesn't help. His skills, speed and natural football ability are something to get excited about.

Listed at 193 cm, the exact same height he was last year. Not sure how much growing he's got left...

Listed at 193 cm, the exact same height he was last year. Not sure how much growing he's got left...
it's not just height, it's 'size', athleticism and the way they play.

May and Balta are 193/194 but really solid and athletic.

Going off our website it appears Kemp, Marchbank & Plowman are all listed as a similar size; Kemp 193/89, Marchbank 193/93, Plowman 193/90. Marchbank always looks leaner and is more of a runner, Plow is kind of middle ground but definitely not big and doesn't have the athleticism, while Kemp looks like be could be a unit and we know he had some good jump/sprint numbers pre-draft for a guy of his size.

Just going on reports on here he had grown. Not sure that the reported heights are reliable or updated. Marchbank and Plowman are listed as the same height but I doubt that's correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still growing and I'm over 30 (don't ask for the exact number as I'm sensitive). Think Kemp can too.

Edit: nvm...just realised you meant growing taller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back