Prediction Welcome to AFC - ? - Pick 12, 2017 Draft...

Who do you want Adelaide to pick @ 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This worries me: all the hangers-on are desperately trying to downplay this, irresponsibly in my view. They try to justify it by saying that his family had this condition (big red flag) and had "no problems", and that Jaidyn feels fine. This is all irrelevant to the significant possibility of sudden death under exhaustion.

p.s. The above is predicated on the suggestion of cardiomyopathy. If he has some other condition that is less problematic, then OK, but I'm not convinced by commentators spouting "no issue". However, sensible review by clubs' medical men is the way to assess this.
Lets put it this way .....if AFL Medicos have cleared Stephenson to play, i accept that 100% ......if they're wrong & there is an issue, the AFL will be sued by:
a) The Stephenson family
b) The drafting club

The AFL is risk adverse .....Stephenson is fine

These phantom drafts are pretty funny ... they offer up about 5 options per pick !!

I'm also amazed at the lack of knowledge espoused by these experts regarding what each club needs. For instance ... Adelaide need a replacement for Lever, so we will go after that type of player. Draft picks are using taken with a longer view than that ... I'd hope.

Listened to the Junk Time Podcast the other day, featuring Craig Coombes:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=155934

Coombes basically says the only club in more trouble than Adelaide with it's list is Power. He uses an interesting bit of logic to explain his reasoning ... but I think it's a fairly shallow set of observations. Basically the 1-4 year players haven't played enough games ... on the surface that seems ok - but I don't think we are as bare as he predicts in the players that will be putting up their hands in 2018.

I'm not so worried, as the guys like Hampton and Milera aren't coming in completely fresh off the boat. Keath is unique too with his age, and Doedee looks like a player to me.

Anyway he reckons we are going after Bonar, that was over a week ago and now Cal Twomey has the same guess? Seems like it's coming from somewhere.

Fogarty seems to be definitely going to the Pies, he seems to be in the elite upside department to me ... Bonar doesn't come without his potential positives either :)

The problem with that analysis is that it ignores the rest of the club's list profile. Most of our top players will still be playing in 3-4 years time because our recruitment during that era (Sloane, Tex etc) was elite. The generation of players that will actually be retiring soon (Douglas, Mackay etc) was one of our weakest eras so their departures shouldn't hurt the club. We have plenty of time to develop our youngsters before the Tex generation retires.

Knightmare has us taking Bonar, Constable and Barry, wow that would be a good draft

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...every-round-knightmare-full-afl-phantom-draft

12 Adelaide - Aiden Bonar
Height, Weight:
189cm, 89kg
Profile: Injury plagued, powerful and athletic prospect. Likely starts as a forward and develops into a midfielder as his endurance improves.

41 Adelaide - Charlie Constable
Height, Weight:
190cm, 86kg
Profile: Tall midfielder with clean skills and impressive vision. Would be suited to developing as a rebounding defender.

77 Adelaide - Dominic Barry
Height, Weight:
183cm, 80kg
Profile: Ex-Demon, now 23 and ready for another opportunity. Outside run is his go with his pace his strength.
Find it hard to believe Constable would fall that far, but what do I know?

Currently suspended poster FAITH has dropped a bombshell via PM.

Has RELATIVELY SOLID INTEL that we are heavily into James Worpel (whoever that is) and are a big chance to take him at 12.

Obviously if this is wrong we'll need to double Faith's penalty.

If it's right though then credibility is once more off the charts (I thought that Faith's secret source had moved to Melbourne as another club's recruiting manager).

Has RELATIVELY SOLID INTEL that we are heavily into James Worpel (whoever that is) and are a big chance to take him at 12.

If it's right though then credibility is once more off the charts (I thought that Faith's secret source had moved to Melbourne as another club's recruiting manager).
Another Geelong Falcons kids. Hamish must have a crush on them.

Based on mock drafts it looks like he could be there at 39, so might be a massive Doedee leap to take him at 12.

If the phantom drafters in the media are to be believed, Worpel may well be available at Pick 39.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare has us taking Bonar, Constable and Barry, wow that would be a good draft

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...every-round-knightmare-full-afl-phantom-draft

12 Adelaide - Aiden Bonar
Height, Weight:
189cm, 89kg
Profile: Injury plagued, powerful and athletic prospect. Likely starts as a forward and develops into a midfielder as his endurance improves.

41 Adelaide - Charlie Constable
Height, Weight:
190cm, 86kg
Profile: Tall midfielder with clean skills and impressive vision. Would be suited to developing as a rebounding defender.

77 Adelaide - Dominic Barry
Height, Weight:
183cm, 80kg
Profile: Ex-Demon, now 23 and ready for another opportunity. Outside run is his go with his pace his strength.
LOCK IT IN!!!!

I can't see it. More likely that we're very much into him at 39

Would be a good get at 39

Is this a trick to get port to take him?

Via AFL Draft Central:

#37 James WORPEL
Inside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
24/01/1999 | 185.1cm | 85.5kg

Scouting notes: Cracks in hard winning the ball in the contest and is one of the best clearance players in the 2017 draft pool. Question marks are on his kicking, where at times he will just bomb it out of the packs but he did show in the National Under 18 Championships that he was able to stop and find a target without rushing. Tackles well but has areas to address to be a top 30 selection.

Strengths: Inside game, tackling, leadership, scoreboard impact
Improvements: Kicking, agility

Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.08 | Agility (secs) 8.89 | Yo-Yo Test (level)20.8

EDIT - he wasn't in the top 10 in any of the combine tests

Last edited:
Knightmare on Worpel in September:

Playing an integral part in Geelong's commanding victory over Dandenong, James Worpel, who presents a physically intimidating gameday presence, led the group with his physicality around the contest. The 185cm, 84kg midfielder gathered 25 disposals, 10 contested possessions, six tackles and four clearances.

Last year, as an underage midfielder, Worpel already possessed an AFL-ready build and has further enhanced his powerhouse status in 2017. Nationally, Worpel has developed a reputation as arguably the hardest tackler in the junior ranks. His contested ball-winning capabilities and consistency from game to game are also among the top few in this year's draft.

The relative weak point with Worpel, is, while he has a powerful 55m kick, he can be inconsistent by foot in addition to rushed decision-making.

It is expected that Worpel will feature either late in the first round or somewhere in the second round**. Around this range, Worpel can provide a club with immediate midfield help and a strong presence around the ball in the mould of Sydney's Josh Kennedy.

** In his last mock draft Knightmare has him going at pick 40

Lets put it this way .....if AFL Medicos have cleared Stephenson to play, i accept that 100% ......if they're wrong & there is an issue, the AFL will be sued by:
a) The Stephenson family
b) The drafting club

The AFL is risk adverse .....Stephenson is fine

It would be more than financial. This is so high profile now, heads would roll. Potentially criminal to put an 18 year old at risk of death for the purpose of entertainment. It is just unfathomable that his life would be put at risk.

Maybe the situation could be that there hasn't been enough time to determine the medical risks yet. So the drafting clubs have to take the risk that in a few months time his name has a line put through it. This would be a disaster. Top draft pick down the drain. Two years of salary to pay out. AFL will probably step in to take that salary out of the TPP, but damage done.

Yeah, and I've seen him play for the Bendigo Pioneers up close and every time I've seen him he's been very, very outside, it's fine being a good user of the football but a majority of his kicks are out in the clear with little pressure which inflates his kicking efficiency.......He's not going to find the same space and time at AFL level to execute.

I think he wont be as bad as you think in the AFL, great runner and super fit

think our club could develop him to be a good player

dispite that i think there is zero chance we will draft him, just a player i like

Back