Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one here. Lynden has always been one of my favourite players, has a crack, is strong, can kick the s**t out of the thing. FWIW I was unhappy he wasn't being picked this year; but as others have said it wasn't a form thing, just a different direction given the stage our club is at with list management

Troll

Are you joking? This is the pies board. If Collingwood supporters are known for anything it is an intolerance for lack of success and, even more importantly, lack of relevance. We are heading for our fifth year as a club where we will be perceived as largely irrelevant. That matches it with any period I can recall in our history. If anybody mislead you to believe Collingwood supporters had an unflappable attitude or some degree of tolerance then I hope that misconception is now dispelled.

We were a basket case from
Around 95 to 2000. I'm not happy where we are now but back then we were horrible.

The club itself talks a very big game so with that in mind I think our supporters fairly tollerent of the fact we have won only 2 flags in 50 years

We were a basket case from
Around 95 to 2000. I'm not happy where we are now but back then we were horrible.

The club itself talks a very big game so with that in mind I think our supporters fairly tollerent of the fact we have won only 2 flags in 50 years

Flags are the measurement but we also don't convert. In the last 50 odd years we've played in 14 GF"s for 2 wins , 2 draws and 10 losses.

If he wasn't a dud, would Melbourne play him in the VFL the whole year and would Melbourne supporters be so happy he was leaving to get more opportunity?

It's like when Jackson Paine or Seedsmen leave and a bunch of their fans go to opposition boards and talk them up
He wasn't playing in the VFL due to him being a dud. He was playing great footy. Especially 2014-15, melbourne made a decision to go with youth, as at 29 it was doubtful he'd be a part of their next flag tilt.
If you think hes a dud, you obviously haven't watched him

He wasn't playing in the VFL due to him being a dud. He was playing great footy. Especially 2014-15, melbourne made a decision to go with youth, as at 29 it was doubtful he'd be a part of their next flag tilt.
If you think hes a dud, you obviously haven't watched him
I'm guilty of not watching him... because I don't watch VFL

If he was playing in the VFL for that reason then why wasn't 31 year old Bernie Vince playing in the VFL?

I'm guilty of not watching him... because I don't watch VFL

If he was playing in the VFL for that reason then why wasn't 31 year old Bernie Vince playing in the VFL?
Before last year he was a regular. So you didn't have to watch VFL.

Mate you can't compare them, Vince is a mid capable of playing half back.
Dunns a key back, only 2-3 fit in the team, less room to move.
Vince is playing through positions where about 10 people will rotate through, he wouldn't be taking games of younger blokes, because they're all playing alongside him.

Anyways, thats enough defending Dunn. I'll let his footy do the talking next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the Dunn trade, this trade reminds me of the Lake trade to Hawthorn. He can play on talls or smalls, good mark and a beautiful kick. We can swing him up forward or use him as a tagger, so to me will definitely be of value to us. Good luck Lynden think you will be a great asset to our footy club.
if he ever reached the level of Lake that would be trade of the year - not holding my breath for that one.

I think he will surprise a few people this season.
He miles ahead of Frost and Brown as a complete player.

Miles ahead of frost. Ahead of brown in terms of all round ability but behind him in terms of pure defence.

If I had a choice I'd keep Brown but he's gone and Dunn will be a solid replacement for 2-3 years.

I agree that he is a stop gap, until we fill that need with the draft, however a direct replacement for brown he isn't, he suits new style of play which is speedy transition back to fwd. Something Nathan Brown never did well. If brown did anything with the ball other than handball to a mate, there was as much anxiety with that as there was Cloke lining up 30 out in front. Dunn moves the ball fwd with good metres something browns looping sideways kicks did not!

This does contrast with what quite a few Melbourne supporters had to say about Dunn. One of the reasons they thought he didn't get games in 2016 was because he didn't suit. The modern defensive game. Simply being able to roost the ball doesn't mean he will be our answer

This does contrast with what quite a few Melbourne supporters had to say about Dunn. One of the reasons they thought he didn't get games in 2016 was because he didn't suit. The modern defensive game. Simply being able to roost the ball doesn't mean he will be our answer

and Some Others have Also said he did not get a Game as Roos and Goodwin where going the Youth Route. So who is Right?

Miles ahead of frost. Ahead of brown in terms of all round ability but behind him in terms of pure defence.

If I had a choice I'd keep Brown but he's gone and Dunn will be a solid replacement for 2-3 years.

2-3 years may be a stretch. He will be 30 yo early in the season in 2017. Clearly his form deteriorated significantly in 2016 as he was a regular and good player even 2015. Not many KPBs play on into their 30's and the ones that do are generally coming off a higher base than Dunn's previous best.

The more likely natural history for him is to share KPDs positions with Reid and Keefe in 2016 and then transition to depth if Keeffe can successfully make it back into AFL footy. 2018 we will likely need to look for a better temporary KPB than Dunn if Keeffe doesn't get back while we develop some younger players from the draft who are likely to need 2-4 seasons to become AFL ready.

and Some Others have Also said he did not get a Game as Roos and Goodwin where going the Youth Route. So who is Right?
Has to be some of both. If he was clearly still good at AFL level he would get game time as he would still have a number of seasons left. If, as is more likely, he is winding down as a player because he is a veteran, then Roos and Goodwin may have chosen to not go with him. It's hard to believe that the game hasn't passed him by a bit when he found it so hard to crack a game at Melbourne. Playing well in the VFL is probably a given for him but that doesn't mean he would still keep up at AFL level. Players of his age and standing in the game don't have to drop off by much to go from AFL to VFL standard.

Has to be some of both. If he was clearly still good at AFL level he would get game time as he would still have a number of seasons left. If, as is more likely, he is winding down as a player because he is a veteran, then Roos and Goodwin may have chosen to not go with him. It's hard to believe that the game hasn't passed him by a bit when he found it so hard to crack a game at Melbourne. Playing well in the VFL is probably a given for him but that doesn't mean he would still keep up at AFL level. Players of his age and standing in the game don't have to drop off by much to go from AFL to VFL standard.

So you think we just Traded for our VFL Team?

2-3 years may be a stretch. He will be 30 yo early in the season in 2017. Clearly his form deteriorated significantly in 2016 as he was a regular and good player even 2015. Not many KPBs play on into their 30's and the ones that do are generally coming off a higher base than Dunn's previous best.

The more likely natural history for him is to share KPDs positions with Reid and Keefe in 2016 and then transition to depth if Keeffe can successfully make it back into AFL footy. 2018 we will likely need to look for a better temporary KPB than Dunn if Keeffe doesn't get back while we develop some younger players from the draft who are likely to need 2-4 seasons to become AFL ready.

No more of a stretch than Nathan Brown would have been ...who is barely a year younger than him with a far more dubious injury history. Fair point though. I should have said a year or two not two or three.

Agree Dunn and Keeffe will be fighting for a spot initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back