Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I am surprised people are surprised with his output tbh. Did anyone watch the pies the last couple of years? This is the same player.

He isn't terrible. He isn't a star. He is an average player who has limitations. The problem isn't so much him. We have just added another poor/average user of the footy to a team full of them.

Not his fault. There are several other offenders. We just have added to our issues bringing him in.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I am surprised people are surprised with his output tbh. Did anyone watch the pies the last couple of years? This is the same player.

He isn't terrible. He isn't a star. He is an average player who has limitations. The problem isn't so much him. We have just added another poor/average user of the footy to a team full of them.

Not his fault. There are several other offenders. We just have added to our issues bringing him in.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

People keep expecting 4th round draft picks to be superstars.

He is a good player. He replaced one of our best Wings ever. At least he never stops trying and his goal last night was very good.

People keep expecting 4th round draft picks to be superstars.

He is a good player. He replaced one of our best Wings ever. At least he never stops trying and his goal last night was very good.

How long is he contracted for?

This guy is ******* trash, don't care what anyone says, hopefully when his contract is up he's no longer on the list.
This is just really poor. Critique his game, or his decisions. Calling a player trash on a public forum just reeks of immaturity. If you can't handle your frustrations in an adult manner maybe this 'supporter' shtick isn't for you... Ditto the 'likes'.

I'm so tired of the indescriminate potting of our players. We're not performing well as a team, but getting personal like this is just not necessary.

He's a player with limitations, but he goes in hard and puts in the effort. Until there's a player that plays the role more effectively, we better get used to him in the ones. Spoiler alert: It's not Connor Downie (yet).

This is just really poor. Critique his game, or his decisions. Calling a player trash on a public forum just reeks of immaturity. If you can't handle your frustrations in an adult manner maybe this 'supporter' shtick isn't for you... Ditto the 'likes'.

I'm so tired of the indescriminate potting of our players. We're not performing well as a team, but getting personal like this is just not necessary.

He's a player with limitations, but he goes in hard and puts in the effort. Until there's a player that plays the role more effectively, we better get used to him in the ones. Spoiler alert: It's not Connor Downie (yet).

I agree he'll rack up games over the next few years, and we'll rack up bottom 4 finishes, sadly it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to know if there are differences to how we're playing him compared to how the Pies played him- especially in 2018.
First year in an incoherent system and there have been some small improvements, but I hope he gets some help with his kicking.

I reckon he’s a bit hard done by. His work rate is huge and he runs both ways which few of our midfielders do. His ball use sucks, I agree, and it stands out because the whole midfield has the same weakness. He is not as good as I thought he was at Collingwood but he’s not one of our worst out there (which is probably saying more about the rest)

I'd love to know if there are differences to how we're playing him compared to how the Pies played him- especially in 2018.
First year in an incoherent system and there have been some small improvements, but I hope he gets some help with his kicking.

With so little structure he is probably 2nd guessing himself. Most of the team are doing this. And he has had one pre season.

With Sicily and Day in the team the delivery to him improves giving him more time to deliver.

He is certainly doing FAR better than Hill is at St Kilda.

With so little structure he is probably 2nd guessing himself. Most of the team are doing this. And he has had one pre season.

With Sicily and Day in the team the delivery to him improves giving him more time to deliver.

He is certainly doing FAR better than Hill is at St Kilda.
I think the Hill comparison is rough for both because they're both in very different stages at very different teams, but I agree that with the implications in your message. I'm giving him another pre-season and some more continuity with hopefully a more consistent midfield group before I pass harsh judgement on him.

He's showing glimpses and he seems to have the right intent, if not the confidence to complete the actions we need him to complete.

I think the Hill comparison is rough for both because they're both in very different stages at very different teams, but I agree that with the implications in your message. I'm giving him another pre-season and some more continuity with hopefully a more consistent midfield group before I pass harsh judgement on him.

He's showing glimpses and he seems to have the right intent, if not the confidence to complete the actions we need him to complete.

At the moment Id say Clarko is looking at effort as much as anything else.

Its why Shiels and Howe get games.

Phillips is a victim of our horrendously slow ball movement. At the Pies, they moved the ball fast and he got involved in plenty of link ups on the wing, quite often banging a goal from outside 50.

I guarantee Isaac Smith, Scully or any other speedy winger would look just as putrid with our game style.

Clarko will open it up again, but its not gonna be this year

I recon he has landed up Schit Creek without a paddle with the game plan. He can’t get overlap run and he doesn’t seem to get forward enough because he has to set up the defensive zone from the ball bouncing back out of the forward 50.
His kicking is poor but we all knew this but I think he will be better for another preseason and time to click; hopefully with a better system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back