Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing I like about this is that it puts pressure on Marshall, Ladhams (if he stays), and provides support for Dixon while also strengthening our reserves team. It also provides us a backup if Lil Pisty flies the coop next year instead of this year.

Shrewd move.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon gets dropped next year for a different look forward line.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Especially when you consider Finlayson's kicked 23.8 for the year but only taken 16 marks in the forward 50. Probably a lot of cheapies.
Looks like a lot of opportunistic snaps, with quick hand to boot agility. His goals don’t look like Joe the gooses but definitely fewer than expected from marks and virtually none from leading marks.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In 2019, he kicked 5 goals against Richmond in round 3, then 7 goals in the first three finals (3 in the EF, then 2 in the semi and 2 in the prelim). He ended the year with a 1 disposal, 0 goal output against Richmond in the GF thrashing.

In 2021, he feasted on Collingwood and Carlton, but struggled against the two Grand Finalists.

Hopefully, he can really elevate his footy with us.
I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed if we think this.

At 25 and 60 odd games I doubt there's much room for development. I think the best we can hope for is that his floor/consistency lifts a little as part of a new forward line - however the elephant in that room is our complete inability to get anything substantial out of our forwards (apart from Dixon 2020)

Very happy with this. Finlayson is a better footballer and a better fit for us than Ladhams. If we can deal Ladhams for a top 20 pick while bringing in Finlayson for a future third, I'm very happy with that net return.

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I'm sure its been mentioned countless times already but when Schulz was traded to us he was a much maligned 24 year old most recently tried as a key defender who couldn't get a regular game for a hopeless Tigers outfit.

Ended his career our best key forward since Tredrea.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I bet half the people who are already being negative about Jeremy Finlayson were asking the same questions about Allir Allir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he will improve our completely impotent forward line we see around September time.
Not if we bomb it blindly forwarded in our usual way.

Looks like a lot of opportunistic snaps, with quick hand to boot agility. His goals don’t look like Joe the gooses but definitely fewer than expected from marks and virtually none from leading marks.

I've always thought he kicks a few of those Westhoff specials, but Finlayson is also a very accurate set shot.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've always thought he kicks a few of those Westhoff specials, but Finlayson is also a very accurate set shot.

Trav Boak accurate or Schulz accurate!

Yeah he looks a neat set shot. Some GWS guy popped in and mentioned he didn't defend very well - how does that fit in at Port? he's going to need to run the length of Flemington straight 3 x's a quarter, lets see how good his set shot is when he's dont that! (I actually think that's a thing - wish we just left someone home).

Very good get. Some of the wider takes on social have been baffling.

For just a future third any sort of baseline output, let alone improvement, will be a steal.

Interesting to note in our press release that we've made mention that he has played 2nd ruck role before and his position is 'forward/ruck' - maybe we will stick with the 4 tall setup with Finlayson playing as 2nd ruck.

Just what we need, a Sextangle. No one will want to leave ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back