Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to be one of the biggest con-artist going around. He was arguably the worst user of the ball by foot at VFL level last season and is a horrid decision maker, regularly choosing the wrong option.

His biggest strength is how clean he is under pressure, taking the ball in one motion and can release team mates with hands. If you want him in the team that is what you selecting him for, not the 1 kick that hits a target with other 5 missing.

Had a great first up game after his suspension.
Responded well.
Still had a couple of moments that had me facepalming. As an example, had plenty of time and space on one occasion when he received the footy but then threw the footy on the boot over his shoulder without looking.
Those are the moments I'd love him to improve on with more confidence. I'm sure it will get highlighted in his line coach review.

I'd like to see him in the AFL side ASAP as I don't feel he derives any benefit from playing VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a great first up game after his suspension.
Responded well.
Still had a couple of moments that had me facepalming. As an example, had plenty of time and space on one occasion when he received the footy but then threw the footy on the boot over his shoulder without looking.
Those are the moments I'd love him to improve on with more confidence. I'm sure it will get highlighted in his line coach review.

I'd like to see him in the AFL side ASAP as I don't feel he derives any benefit from playing VFL.
That's the one part of his game that annoys me aswell. I feel like that should be a fairly easy fix with a bit of a focus and conscious effort at training. Not being too afraid of getting smashed by a strong tackle or bump goes a long way, too - but only he'd know if that's relevant...

Ideal game for him to be involved in today. We need Sons to become what the Swans have so much of - Gulden, Warner, Campbell, McInerney, Florent, Rowbottom. Fast and accurate ball movement, great delivery into forward 50, and capable of kicking a goal when the opportunity arises.

Win or lose, we need Tyler (and Seth, Thomson and Sam) to learn a lot today.

Not lookin good bruv

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would keep him in. I think he has it.

Not a great game but he marks what his meant to, got a a few contested possessions, an I50, a tackle I50, a spoil. He had 9 touches but found ways to be involved, even though it wasn't his day

I would keep him in. I think he has it.

Not a great game but he marks what his meant to, got a a few contested possessions, an I50, a tackle I50, a spoil. He had 9 touches but found ways to be involved, even though it wasn't his day
3 score involvements as well
First sr game in a long time and coming off 1 vfl game for the season due to his suspension

I'm biased but he did a lot that wouldn't have registered as a stat. Halved some contests late where he was undersized that were crucial so the footy didn't just rebound back.
Has to stay in for mine and I think he will based on the way Yze has been handling the kids this year.

Was desperately unlucky not to have a set shot on goal after he was denied a clear mark.
He is a midfielder playing as a half forward, it's going to take time for him to firstly understand how he fits into the forward structure at AFL level and secondly to ensure he gets in positions to receive the footy more often so that we can utilise his strengths which is his decision making and foot skills.

I'm biased but he did a lot that wouldn't have registered as a stat. Halved some contests late where he was undersized that were crucial so the footy didn't just rebound back.
Has to stay in for mine and I think he will based on the way Yze has been handling the kids this year.

Was desperately unlucky not to have a set shot on goal after he was denied a clear mark.
He is a midfielder playing as a half forward, it's going to take time for him to firstly understand how he fits into the forward structure at AFL level and secondly to ensure he gets in positions to receive the footy more often so that we can utilise his strengths which is his decision making and foot skills.

His contested work and work rate is certainly improved on last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back