Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Play him in the 1's the rest of the year
It’s obvious, but he will be a scapegoat at any drop of the hat once JH, JGTI and TT come into the side.
I only rate TT, but Hopper should only come in at JGTI expense only as they should never be together in the same team as it makes us too slow. Sonsie should simply play ahead of Kmac or Pickett or Dow. I know your theory on Pickett, but I’m only looking at it as best 23

Yeah, Dow is a peanut.
Jimmy Carter Animation GIF by Chris Timmons

Play him in the 1's the rest of the year
It's a pretty important period for Sonsie over the next handful of games before the bye. He needs to keep performing well and giving us that point of difference we need from his clean use.
I agree with TI where he will be one of the first to fall when more troops come back. I just hope he makes it hard for the coaches to make that call.

It's a pretty important period for Sonsie over the next handful of games before the bye. He needs to keep performing well and giving us that point of difference we need from his clean use.
I agree with TI where he will be one of the first to fall when more troops come back. I just hope he makes it hard for the coaches to make that call.
It’s really sad he starts on the bench again when he was our best midfielder last week. I just don’t know how players can build their confidence anymore as there’s no reward for it bc a couple of injured old blokes come in and take your spot.
I’ve liked him from day one , but coaches just don’t seem to see what I see in him. I feel the rfc has been taken over by the Australian Cricket team selectors as it’s harder to get in the team than getting out of it. There’s just no vision into the future atm or in depth analysis of our structures as well as things regarding physical attributes of players and their deficiencies.
Sonsie has excellent footwork, hand management, evasiveness and acceleration out of traffic, but they go for guys like Graham, Dow , Kmac and Pickett when they get the opportunity. I’m one for looking into the future when there’s no hope at the present time , but footy clubs seem to take the longer path.

The use of this guy today was a head scratcher.
They had him on a wing and some half forward for the first half and was playing pretty well. 10 touches in the first half is good.
He was then moved into the midfield and had a middling second half. This is going to sound harsh as he was probably in our best handful of players in the first half but, Tyler, when you are given an opportunity in the middle, regardless of the scoreline you need to prove you belong in there. He was playing far too defensively and didn't have the intensity at the contest which has always been a knock on him so I was disappointed.
If he is going to play on a wing he just needs to watch footage of Errol Gulden and learn how hard he needs to work and how he needs to link up and demand the footy.

I'm harsh on him but I can see how good he could be if he just had a bit of a different mentality. He plays like his spot in the team, like a supporting act instead of playing like the main man. Which is where we need him to get to.

The use of this guy today was a head scratcher.
They had him on a wing and some half forward for the first half and was playing pretty well. 10 touches in the first half is good.
He was then moved into the midfield and had a middling second half. This is going to sound harsh as he was probably in our best handful of players in the first half but, Tyler, when you are given an opportunity in the middle, regardless of the scoreline you need to prove you belong in there. He was playing far too defensively and didn't have the intensity at the contest which has always been a knock on him so I was disappointed.
If he is going to play on a wing he just needs to watch footage of Errol Gulden and learn how hard he needs to work and how he needs to link up and demand the footy.

I'm harsh on him but I can see how good he could be if he just had a bit of a different mentality. He plays like his spot in the team, like a supporting act instead of playing like the main man. Which is where we need him to get to.
have noticed the defensive flaws as well

the kids got afl level skills but just doesn’t yet have the gut running and effort that the best mids do. i like the sonz and think he’s potential a grade material but definitely needs to work on some things. it’s part of the process and I hope he gets there

i actually think he’d go great with hopper and Taranto in the middle who can actually distribute to advantage

dow on the other hand imo is not good enough.. bloke has no speed, can’t tackle, doesn’t kick and his only real asset is a handball in traffic

the kids got afl level skills but just doesn’t yet have the gut running and effort that the best mids do. i like the sonz and think he’s potential a grade material but definitely needs to work on some things. it’s part of the process and I hope he gets there

i actually think he’d go great with hopper and Taranto in the middle who can actually distribute to advantage

dow on the other hand imo is not good enough.. bloke has no speed, can’t tackle, doesn’t kick and his only real asset is a handball in traffic
His defensive side is pretty good over the last couple of weeks. 28 pressure acts tonight which was the most for the team. Also 5 tackles. His attack on the ball is my main concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wont make it .
Reminds me of Ellis soft Kick It Anywhere. Even his short passing misses the mark. Ellis to his credit ran all day this dude can't. I reckon Ralf has come on heaps better than this dude. Gosh, we going to have a lot of stories to tell the next few years if we don't nail picks this and next season:(

This assessment is spot on.

Sonsie needs to get some experience this year and then understand what it takes to be AFL mid fit. Next pre season is a big one for him. Given our list state he has the chance to play 200 games even if he is just ok because he won't lack opportunity. Going to be jus about work rate with Sonsie.

give him time to grow, Edwards wasnt much better at the same experience.
Its like we are expecting elite midfield trates from guys with small AFL game time - to get that you need top 1-2 draft picks and still that is not a given .

Reminds me of Ellis soft Kick It Anywhere. Even his short passing misses the mark
He’s kicking in one of his biggest flaws
I must be watching a different game.
At least he had the balls to go for a couple of kicks that weren't simply long down the line like every other player last night.

Some fans expectations on this kid are insane.

His defensive side is pretty good over the last couple of weeks. 28 pressure acts tonight which was the most for the team. Also 5 tackles. His attack on the ball is my main concern.

I saw some pretty serious defensive efforts though admittedly my eye wasn't always on him. The other bit will come. He is playing in the toughest midfield to play in that we have seen. Sonsie's tank will build, his body will get stronger. He will be a key transition player with that kicking and creative work. All of Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke will all add strongly to our ability to transition by foot as they enter their primes in a couple of years. We just need to bolster our inside mid stocks with some proper quality and find a couple of better aerial targets over the next 2 off seasons. We will clearly have some tremendous draft/rookie draft/mid-season draft picks and salary cap space to work with to get those players in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back