Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 29 - Sam Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

I like him, I like his skills, but goodness me he is soft. He has no physical presence whatsoever. That part I struggle to tolerate or respect. To be honest, he is much softer then early Hugo which is scary. Nobody is expecting him to be a hard nut thug or even courageous like Baker. Nobody is expecting him to back into dangerous contests. He just has to have general body strength in a contested situation. If he cannot improve in that area he needs to be traded to Tasmania asap. Or sadly delisted. Football is a ruthless and tough business. To be honest I am surprised that the opposition hasn't targeted him as yet for shirking contests. That will come no doubt. Just harden up Son... Your playing a man's game now.
Mate, no one is playing afl footy if they're soft.

Mate, no one is playing afl footy if they're soft.
We discussed this years ago on here SkinnyP and it's all to do on the hardness scale as in Chemistry. You may have some harder elements or compounds scaling down to the softer ones. So when people refer to someone being soft i take it as the poster meaning the player being less harder than the expected normal.

The kid really needs to will himself and impose himself on the game. He's got the opportunity to claim a position in the team, just needs to show more and hopefully lift. Been bloody average to ordinary all year. Been disappointed as when he was drafted he looked a million dollars at a few open training sessions.

The kid really needs to will himself and impose himself on the game. He's got the opportunity to claim a position in the team, just needs to show more and hopefully lift. Been bloody average to ordinary all year. Been disappointed as when he was drafted he looked a million dollars at a few open training sessions.
He's a yard slow especially off the mark, and has no impetus at the ball due to size. He has other attributes like a good kick. Pretty sure Smith will take his place soon unless he hits some form, he's very quick, solidly built, and a very good kick also.

He Needs to do lots of those drills where they roll the ball along the ground and the player runs and picks the ball up and then crashes into the assistant coach whose holding that crash pad thing or whatever you call it ….. get the assistant coach to really make banks earn it to make him angry and hungry for the contest

Yes and no. If they've been given a good run and need to find form and confidence again, why not put them into the VFL and bring in youngsters who are in form in the VFL? That way we also put games into more youngsters. I would say Campbell and Banks for Coulthard and Smith if I were in charge of picking the team.

I agree. But what do we know. Banks hasn’t had a proper run at the wing role imo and unfortunately the wing role can be one where he does a lot right but doesn’t get the stats for it. I’m happy for him to stay in for another couple weeks at least.

Too slow , too weak and too light. Needs one year in the gym. Three years on our list and it’s like Meehan has him and Dow on fresh fruit diets with 2km beach strolls and throwing tennis balls at their dogs as their exercise routine.

Hope he is Ok. It was scary collision that could have ended much worse. Hope he takes the time he needs to get right and look forward to seeing him back in the team soon.
Give him time to recover, then lots of gym work and a time in the VFL and let him fight his way back into the team.
Hope he's well though as that looked nasty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back