Player Watch #28 Kane McAuliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't fatham why the kid who is coming of red hot form is the sub, and Graham who hasn't played a month starts...

Just stupid decision.

Even if the kid wasn't up to it, you could have made the sub early in the third and still had a better result than yesterday.

I just can't fatham why the kid who is coming of red hot form is the sub, and Graham who hasn't played a month starts...

Just stupid decision.

Even if the kid wasn't up to it, you could have made the sub early in the third and still had a better result than yesterday.
I assumed it was due to Mc not having the tank for it yet. Even in the VFL, he gets most of his touches in the first half.

I assumed it was due to Mc not having the tank for it yet. Even in the VFL, he gets most of his touches in the first half.
More reason to do it IMO...

Play the first half, then let Graham some on in the second half, when the heat is out of the game and his lack of match conditioning doesn't impact him so much.

More reason to do it IMO...

Play the first half, then let Graham some on in the second half, when the heat is out of the game and his lack of match conditioning doesn't impact him so much.
yeah maybe, I just think there are likely reasons we dont know about yet waste energy getting mad

yeah maybe, I just think there are likely reasons we dont know about yet waste energy getting mad
no ones really getting mad are they???

Graham keeps getting gifted opportunities to play without fitness or form when coming back from injury which is frustrating I'll admit, but thsi one was a 50/50 call. I just would've gone the other way

no ones really getting mad are they???

Graham keeps getting gifted opportunities to play without fitness or form when coming back from injury which is frustrating I'll admit, but thsi one was a 50/50 call. I just would've gone the other way
dude, its BF, peeps be gettin mad over all kinds of shit haha

Just stupid decision.

Was a stupid decision can’t think of any rational explanation why that didn’t happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought this was an interesting comment by Morris in this weeks VFL player report write up and backs up what I thought about Kane.

IMG_8722.jpeg

I know a few have been frustrated that he hasn’t been getting a game despite the injuries, but it’s important to remember he’s still only 18 and was taken in the third round of the draft for a reason. We see his big numbers in the twos and think he should be able to easily replicate it in the ones but the VFL is there for players like this to improve on those deficiencies and then not be found out when they take the step up.

Keep backing the club to put him in the best position to succeed. It’s more likely than not we’ve found a genuine diamond in the rough despite a very poor draft hand and with a top 3 star mid incoming this next draft we may have almost completed a key piece of the next premiership puzzle right at the beginning of the rebuild.

Thought this was an interesting comment by Morris in this weeks VFL player report write up and backs up what I thought about Kane.

View attachment 1990124

I know a few have been frustrated that he hasn’t been getting a game despite the injuries, but it’s important to remember he’s still only 18 and was taken in the third round of the draft for a reason. We see his big numbers in the twos and think he should be able to easily replicate it in the ones but the VFL is there for players like this to improve on those deficiencies and then not be found out when they take the step up.

Keep backing the club to put him in the best position to succeed. It’s more likely than not we’ve found a genuine diamond in the rough despite a very poor draft hand and with a top 3 star mid incoming this next draft we may have almost completed a key piece of the next premiership puzzle right at the beginning of the rebuild.
Yes Great post , and other reasons for having a VFL team is to reintroduce senior players to competitive football after:
a) injury or
b) loss of form or
c) change of role

BUT we have systematically failed to use the VFL to do any of these things.

Complete pity when you see the quality of football being played by everyone, not just Kane, under Coach Morris ..

Last edited:
Better to do that than have them play and get injured immediately...
If an injury is going to reoccur chances are it wouldn’t matter if they played vfl or afl level especially if it’s early in a game

Players are competitive my nature and won’t hold themselves back for load management in any game situation once the ball is bounced

I think he will be a great vfl player

but not so much afl imo
Uno Reverse GIF by MOODMAN
mozz

If an injury is going to reoccur chances are it wouldn’t matter if they played vfl or afl level especially if it’s early in a game

Players are competitive my nature and won’t hold themselves back for load management in any game situation once the ball is bounced

They can manage their time on ground easier in the VFL.

Bauer was taken off at 3rd quarter time in the VFL last week in his first game back.

They can manage their time on ground easier in the VFL.

Bauer was taken off at 3rd quarter time in the VFL last week in his first game back.
With 4 on the bench and the sub it’s pretty easy to manage at afl level
We haven’t used our full interchange quota for about 2 months even with in game injuries and most weeks have a handful of players playing sub 60% time on ground so I don’t think that argument holds water under the current rule set

Edit
In fact we haven’t even used our full quota of interchanges once this year and most games we have gone under 70 leaving us at least 5 in hands most weeks

With 4 on the bench and the sub it’s pretty easy to manage at afl level
We haven’t used our full interchange quota for about 2 months even with in game injuries and most weeks have a handful of players playing sub 60% time on ground so I don’t think that argument holds water under the current rule set

Edit
In fact we haven’t even used our full quota of interchanges once this year and most games we have gone under 70 leaving us at least 5 in hands most weeks

The argument holds water because they never do it in the AFL team, when was the last time they brought a player back after an injury into the AFL team and sat him on the bench for the last quarter to manage him?

The VFL has more room for experimenting with things because the stakes aren’t as high.

The argument holds water because they never do it in the AFL team, when was the last time they brought a player back after an injury into the AFL team and sat him on the bench for the last quarter to manage him?

The VFL has more room for experimenting with things because the stakes aren’t as high.
But we do, do it
We manage minutes and it’s the same thing Prestia played limited minutes last week, Cotch played most of the year last year 50 - 60% tog

Just because the sub isn’t made doesn’t mean players aren’t managed back into full match fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back