Aiden O’Driscoll - medically retiring without playing a game 14/05/24 </3

Remove this Banner Ad

Its really sad that his career is over before it started.

Thats without considering the effect that the collision and resultant concussion is going to have on the rest of his life.

Its really sad that his career is over before it started.

Thats without considering the effect that the collision and resultant concussion is going to have on the rest of his life.

Hopefully without further insults his brain can make a more complete recovery compared to the ones who received 10+.

Best wishes to him & his family.

Good to hear the Doggies will support him, these are the types (rookies/draftees without 10 years of mid 6 figure salaries to fall back on) that deserve much more favourable compensation etc

Oh the poor kid, over before it even started. At least he knew he was good enough to get drafted, hopefully his life has more opportunities for fulfilment.

All the best to you Aiden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so sad

Poor kid worked his whole life to be in the AFL, gets drafted and doesn’t get the chance to play a game.

Glad he’s prioritising his health and sure the club are looking after him well.

Must be devastating for him to lose the dream so early and something totally outside his control. Health has to come first don't want to do any further damage.

Absolutely devastated for him to be honest. Was very keen to see how his attributes would translate to the football field. And from all reports, he is a great personality to be around. No doubt he would have been a good team mate to have.

It is just a shame that life can be so cruel these days. Obviously the number one thought is that he can go on and have a productive life with minimal to no lingering issues. And I hope that the club continue to put support out for him over the next few years.

The AFL needs part with some of their billion from the TV deals, to compensate players who are forced to retire due to concussion. At least enough to put a roof over his head. And any future medical costs. Hope the bump was just a freak football act, and someone didn't go all Pickett into him (if so, I'd be livid at them).

He was very keen to get going, and idolized Gulden from the Swans. hoped to model part of his game on him pace and running wise. I hope he still holds his head up high and know that he at least made it, where thousands of other kids can only dream of. Would have been hard news to take in listening to the Doctors. Wishing him all the best. Will always be a Bulldog to me.

Last edited:
Absolutely devastated for him to be honest. Was very keen to see how his attributes would translate to the football field. And from all reports, he is a great personality to be around. No doubt he would have been a good team mate to have.

It is just a shame that life can be so cruel these days. Obviously the number one thought is that he can go on and have a productive life with minimal to no lingering issues. And I hope that the club continue to put support out for him over the next few years.

The AFL needs part with some of their billion from the TV deals, to compensate players who are forced to retire due to concussion. At least enough put a roof over his head. And any future medical costs. Hope the bump was just a freak football act, and someone didn't go all Pickett into him (if so, I'd be livid)

He was very keen to get going, and idolized Gulden from the Swans. I hope he still holds his head up high and know that he at least made it, where thousands of other kids can only dream of. Wishing him all the best. Will always be a Bulldog to me.
There should definitely be a compensation fund for players to be able to get the treatment they need fo hopefully live a normal life after these types of injuries.

Even though Aiden O’Driscoll playing career has come to a cruel end. Hopefully the lad isn’t lost to Footy he can become a player manager, Recruiter for a club in the near future
Our own Matthew Egan as a guide.

Sad day for the kid. Hope he's ok.

That is really shattering news to hear. I hope he is getting all the love and support he needs.

Gutted for him after putting in all the hard work to make it to the AFL, and it’s over before it can really begin.

Hopefully he is in a good headspace and will be able to redirect his career, whether it be into a different type of footy role if that’s what he wants, or elsewhere altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back