Aiden O’Driscoll - medically retiring without playing a game 14/05/24 </3

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely shattering from afar.

The first of his birth year to retire and he doesn’t even get a seniors or ressies game to hang his hat on.

I wonder what his movements will be.

Helping out at training would be his main thing now you’d hope and think.

His siblings, his parents and peripheral family members might’ve been resigned to this being his reality but it’s a massive shock and bummer.

From a modern day POV, his parents won’t get the debutante’s video call.

I really hope the club does something to acknowledge this at the next homegame in 2 weeks' time.

I'm not sure how exactly, but the poor kid has lost his career before it really even started and he deserves some sort of recognition for what he's gone through as a result of being on duty at the club (through no one's fault, of course).

Absolutely devastated for him to be honest. Was very keen to see how his attributes would translate to the football field. And from all reports, he is a great personality to be around. No doubt he would have been a good team mate to have.

It is just a shame that life can be so cruel these days. Obviously the number one thought is that he can go on and have a productive life with minimal to no lingering issues. And I hope that the club continue to put support out for him over the next few years.

The AFL needs part with some of their billion from the TV deals, to compensate players who are forced to retire due to concussion. At least enough to put a roof over his head. And any future medical costs. Hope the bump was just a freak football act, and someone didn't go all Pickett into him (if so, I'd be livid at them).

He was very keen to get going, and idolized Gulden from the Swans. hoped to model part of his game on him pace and running wise. I hope he still holds his head up high and know that he at least made it, where thousands of other kids can only dream of. Would have been hard news to take in listening to the Doctors. Wishing him all the best. Will always be a Bulldog to me.
There is a compensation fund for exactly this purpose, provided the player can prove a career ending injury was sustained, which is clearly the case here.

AFLPA, funded by the AFL as part of the collective bargaining agreement.

I am really concerned about the future of our game. Too many young men's careers halted prematurely.

Could see every player having to wear helmets in the next 5-10 years
I think it's significantly more likely that the rules will further evolve around player contact (tackling, bumping etc) than the introduction of mandatory helmets. I've said it before, I can imagine contact in the AFL morphs towards the Gaelic football model, albeit with less bumping, although that still wouldn't prevent 100% of concussions.

Sad end to a career that barely got started.

Although not nearly on the same level of severity, it has a bit of Neil Schache sadness about it.

Fingers crossed no long term issues and hopefully the club has something planned employment wise even if it’s organising something back in WA for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate this for the kid. Really cruel stuff.

This is from a March article:

"The AFL also is continuing its ongoing work with the AFLPA to finalise the expansion of the existing AFLPA administered Injury & Hardship Fund which – under the recently concluded collective bargaining agreement – will receive a substantial financial boost with $54 million committed to the fund over the next five years – up from $20 million in the last CBA, to ensure that more players, including those suffering from the long-term impacts of concussion, are able to access more funding to support them post-career."

Really hope that he gets a piece of that.

I really hope the club does something to acknowledge this at the next homegame in 2 weeks' time.

I'm not sure how exactly, but the poor kid has lost his career before it really even started and he deserves some sort of recognition for what he's gone through as a result of being on duty at the club (through no one's fault, of course).
I’m not usually a big fan of the sentimental messages on field, but hopefully we do something simple like all the players wearing #37 on their warm up tops and let the kid go with Bont to do the coin toss.

I had a bad feeling when I saw him listed indefinite for a while.

Totally sucks. Really hope he gets over his symptoms and lives a full life.

From what I've seen, he's currently not experiencing major symptoms, but I assume is at a point where another knock could be devastating.

From what I've seen, he's currently not experiencing major symptoms, but I assume is at a point where another knock could be devastating.
Which is strange, because the last info we got, was that he was getting cleared to resume some form of training soon, and the club was looking forward to integrating him back into the program, just a few weeks ago. The next minute he retires. Wonder what went on in between, that changed all that

Which is strange, because the last info we got, was that he was getting cleared to resume some form of training soon, and the club was looking forward to integrating him back into the program, just a few weeks ago. The next minute he retires. Wonder what went on in between, that changed all that
Could be something as simple as an updated scan showed slower improvement / implied greater future risk from a further concussions.

The Nigel Kellet article a month or so back could also be causing players re-think their return to play decisions. That was a really confronting read.

A really tough call for someone so young. Head injuries are no joke - I was a trainer in footy clubs for nine years and they were what I most hated.

Hopefully the club wraps its arms around him (certainly seems like they already are) and he sticks around in some capacity.

With regards to the helmet issue…there’s no scientific evidence to suggest that helmets prevent concussions. I do remember reading somewhere (years ago so don’t quote me) that in the case of younger athletes, helmet wearing can cause them to play more recklessly as it lulls them into a false sense of thinking they’re protected.

If you think of your head being like an egg - the skull is the shell and your brain matter is the yolk & white. The yolk and white (brain tissue) is going to move around regardless of whether a player is wearing a helmet or not, and unfortunately helmets do nothing to prevent the brain matter from rapidly accelerating/decelerating inside the skull.

Even though Aiden O’Driscoll playing career has come to a cruel end. Hopefully the lad isn’t lost to Footy he can become a player manager, Recruiter for a club in the near future
Or some alternative sport into which he can direct his undoubted enthusiasm and athleticism.

I think it's significantly more likely that the rules will further evolve around player contact (tackling, bumping etc) than the introduction of mandatory helmets. I've said it before, I can imagine contact in the AFL morphs towards the Gaelic football model, albeit with less bumping, although that still wouldn't prevent 100% of concussions.

Touchy subject I know, but I can't help but feel that the AFL aren't doing themselves any favours re: on field incidents.

The grading system is completely unfit for purpose.
Any deliberate hit to the head should be an automatic suspension. None of this, "low impact", or "careless" rubbish which can be downgraded to a (relatively) pitiful fine.

Let players argue it was accidental, sure, but inconsequential? No f@ck1ng way.

Ps. My son was concussed a while back in a soccer game from getting a ball to the face from about 2m, so it's not necessary an AFL rules 'fault'. Things happen. But there needs to be a much more solid and focused approach from the league. (Don't get me started on the highly paid commentators, most of whom have seen first hand the results of concussions but still like to act tough... 🙄)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back