List Mgmt. Welcome to the Suns, Mabior Chol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really love Chol as a player and have been incredibly excited seeing what he has brought to the table this season thus far. Has already kicked 9 goals. My only knock on him is his set shot goal kicking, if he can work on that he will be a star forward of the game. I am genuinely excited to see what he can continue to bring to our SUNS side, is a huge presence up forward.
He gets very little momentum and just relies on sweet timing.

I’m not sure of the exact breakdown set shot vs. general play, but his accuracy is actually very good.

33 goals 18 behinds career.

He has missed 2 very gettable set shots this year I can think of. But if he can go at >60% you be pretty happy with that.

This bloke is an absolute ripper

I am a big fan. He has his flaws but his upside is huge. Seems we pinched him just as he was starting to come in to his own and the regular game time is doing him wonders too.

Can't wait to see him paired with big King next year.

Just heard about him being racially vilified on social media by one of our supporters.
Shocking stuff. Unfortunately all clubs have some less than desirable people amongst their ranks.
All I can do is apologise on our behalf.
Great win yesterday. Chol has been a great pick up. I knew it would be a tough game and changed my tip to you guys after Pitto was withdrawn. Glad to see Levi doing well, and Holman too. I was a fan of Holman when we had him and went into bat for Levi for quite a few years, but he looked past it last year, so glad he's back to his best.

Isn't it funny how a bunch of us rued missing out on Callum Coleman-Jones and ending up with the supposed Plan B in Mabior Chol.

Jeez hasn't that looked the opposite way round at the moment. Chol looks to be thriving with consistent game time and CCJ is languishing in the twos for the worst team in the comp.

Big fan of Chol's game and reckon he might become a gun if he stays injury free.

Mabior is just a difficult matchup with his combination of size, speed and athleticism. He is going to make Kingy’s life so much easier next year as defenders will be very wary of peeling off to double team and leave Chol free or matched up with an undersized opponent.
Chol King and Lynch are about the only KPFs we've had who have opposition backs sweating
2MP was ok but predictable
I asked the question whether he was better than 2MP
He is on the way to answering that question in the affirmative early days of course

Cannot echo the words in this statement enough. It makes me sick to my core that there are degenerates in this day and age that indulge and take pleasure in such deplorable narrow minded behaviour. As a club and fanbase we really need to wrap our arms around Mabior and ensure he understands how loved and valued he is here at the SUNS and on the Gold Coast.

Chol just needs to tone it down a little..
Seems to eager to go for the big hanger rather then just getting good position and taking a clean mark.

The Suns should really look to hit Chol with some serious running this post season.
Seems unfit.

But has his moments he runs away from everyone for a quick 5sec burst during games
One day he's going to take mark of the round/year and we're all going to be looking on in awe of this man's physical abilities. However, I would agree that he probably attempts MOTY a little too often when all that's required is probably just a standard overhead/on the chest mark.

There was a moment in the Demons game two weeks ago when Chol burst out of the blocks and very easily beat Steven May to the ball to take an uncontested mark inside 50 and we all know May is not slow when he chooses to sprint at full pace. Sometimes I'm genuinely shocked at how quick Chol is and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's the quickest player in the league that's over 200cm. At least over a 20-50 metre distance which is great if you want to play him as a lead up forward.

I just think it's really exciting to have a guy like this in our forward line who can also play as a backup ruckman. He's entering his physical prime at 25 years of age but only has 35 AFL games to his name to date so there's clearly room to improve, despite currently leading our goalkicking tally for 2022. He did his apprenticeship at Punt Rd and learnt from some of the best forwards in the league while they were winning premierships and now he's ready to explode for us as the main man in our forward line while King is absent. If we end up making finals this year then you have to think Chol is going to play a big role in that.

Cannot echo the words in this statement enough. It makes me sick to my core that there are degenerates in this day and age that indulge and take pleasure in such deplorable narrow minded behaviour. As a club and fanbase we really need to wrap our arms around Mabior and ensure he understands how loved and valued he is here at the SUNS and on the Gold Coast.

Did he cop some abuse from the stands during the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How'd Chol go against the pies? Saw he got on the end of a few but from the highlights it looked like the collingwood defence were playing metres off the GC forwards. How was his game overall?

Second question, why do the player threads have a number of different prefixes on this board? I see Welcome for some, Toast for others and list mgmt on others, I can never find this thread on first look because of it 😂 I assume they're all given different tags for a reason.

How'd Chol go against the pies? Saw he got on the end of a few but from the highlights it looked like the collingwood defence were playing metres off the GC forwards. How was his game overall?

Second question, why do the player threads have a number of different prefixes on this board? I see Welcome for some, Toast for others and list mgmt on others, I can never find this thread on first look because of it 😂 I assume they're all given different tags for a reason.
The tags are all different to specifically piss you off 😘

I was sceptical about Chol but he plays better than I expected. Probably his best game against Collingwood. He is still not consistent, looks like he still struggles with his body sometimes. He does have some elite traits. Against Collingwood, he showed some poise and delivered beautifully to teammates. His set shot is a beauty.

Hopefully, with another full pre-season and more continuous games under his belt he could turn into a really good forward. I am more optimistic now. It certainly looks like Chol is better choice for Suns than CCJ.

Last edited:
But to answer your question Cholly is playing his role well. Suspect he needs a big pre season next season to find some more consistency, can fade in and out of games to often.
I was sceptical about Chol but he plays better than I expected. Probably his best game against Collingwood. He is still not consistent, looks like he still struggles with his body sometimes. He does have some elite traits. Against Collingwood, he showed some poise and delivered beautifully to teammates. His set shot is a beauty.

Hopefully, with another full pre-season and more continuous games under his belt he could turn into a really good forward. I am more optimistic now. It certainly looks like Chol is better choice for Suns than CCJ.
Appreciate the update lads. Yeah the fading in and out/consistency was noticeable during his time at Richmond also but I don't think that's a trait he will carry his entire career.

Like you both mentioned, another pre-season and hopefully a full season in the seniors this year to build that team chemistry and continuity in his body should do him wonders. I can see him being a real headache for defenders if he develops the way I expect. I think he could end up being one of the more difficult forwards to play on. Decent size, great kick, can take a good mark when he wants to, but then he's shown that he has the evasiveness and agility of a Shai Bolton type.

I honestly think if he can pull it all together and minimise his deficiencies you'll have one of the most exciting players to watch on your list. You guys will probably have to deal with me popping in every few weeks for updates. Love me some Marbs.

I really want CCJ to succeed, as I do every tiger past and present, but you guys made the right choice. I see talent in CCJ but nothing exciting, no X factor and o can't see him ever being a great footballer. Marbs has talent and X factor and has a higher ceiling.

I miss him to be honest.

Even with missing a half game and still finding his feet he is kicking regular goals which is encouraging to think about where he can get to.

Also done some nice things in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back