West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we've won 5 games over a 2 and a half year period.

No, I don't want them because I expect the people at the club to be able to do their job properly, something those at North weren't capable of.

It remains to be seen if the current mob can do it.
You are 5 wins over 2 seasons

Let’s see if you can get 7 or less over the next 2

To be 12 over 4

Hopefully the Eagles enjoy a much better 2024. If they don’t then PPs should be offered.

The Eagles are a vital part of the future of the National Comp (along with Freo). As opposed to the recent exercise, PPs for WCE will be a strategic investment in our game.
Hear, hear….

Apart from the Freo bit, prefer dispensable.

What are you talking about? North got assistance in their third year.

What has winning a flag have to do with any of it?
Winning a flag 5 years ago has everything to do with it, you honestly think North would get any help if they won a flag/then go down the heavy rebuild route and 4 years later get prority picks from the AFL for being garbage? North did get "help" at the end of year 3 and just before our number 1 pick walked out so that cushioned the blow a little, a future 2nd and 3rd that must be traded and just so happened Griff Logue was out of contract so we did ok there, Tucker is meh but otherwise we would of gotten 40c on the dollar for those picks. If Harley Reid walks out this time next year im more that happy for the Eagles to get a 2nd and 3rd that must be traded for players, would you be happy with that?

I don't think any team should be getting priority pick, I didn't think North should have and I don't think West Coast should

Clubs and List management need to be held accountable if you hang on to bunch of 30 year Olds too long and then gut your list and have zero quality senior players that's your own clubs doing.

The AFL coming to bail out teams who stuff up their list disadvantages teams who actually do build their list organically.

The only assistance package club should get is soft cap spending to hire better or more development coaches and or extra rookie list spots purely for mature age state league players.

I don't think any team should be getting priority pick, I didn't think North should have and I don't think West Coast should

Clubs and List management need to be held accountable if you hang on to bunch of 30 year Olds too long and then gut your list and have zero quality senior players that's your own clubs doing.

The AFL coming to bail out teams who stuff up their list disadvantages teams who actually do build their list organically.

The only assistance package club should get is soft cap spending to hire better or more development coaches and or extra rookie list spots purely for mature age state league players.
North asked for more soft cap room for more development coaches/support staff and the AFL flat out said no. The AFL have shown there hand that they will continue to use the Draft/Draft picks to "help" clubs they deem that need it.

Winning a flag 5 years ago has everything to do with it, you honestly think North would get any help if they won a flag/then go down the heavy rebuild route and 4 years later get prority picks from the AFL for being garbage? North did get "help" at the end of year 3 and just before our number 1 pick walked out so that cushioned the blow a little, a future 2nd and 3rd that must be traded and just so happened Griff Logue was out of contract so we did ok there, Tucker is meh but otherwise we would of gotten 40c on the dollar for those picks. If Harley Reid walks out this time next year im more that happy for the Eagles to get a 2nd and 3rd that must be traded for players, would you be happy with that?
A flag doesn't really have anything to do with it, no. North were one game and percentage outside the finals in 2018 and were better than 6 teams that played finals this year.

They made a decision to 'rejuvenate' their list and drop down the ladder, which is a fine strategy IMO, because it's far better than mid-table mediocrity.

When you're nearing the end of said strategy, it's a bit rich to continuously ask for PPs. Bear in mind that North started asking for them in 2021, after only 2 years in the bottom 2.

JHF walking out sucked but they were able to turn that into Sheezel & Wardlaw, which is a break even at the very least.

Also WCE haven't gone down the 'heavy rebuild' route like North have, they've been ****ed by injuries for 2 years. They wouldn't be playing finals but they sure as shit wouldn't be as bad as they have been with a clean run.

North asked for more soft cap room for more development coaches/support staff and the AFL flat out said no. The AFL have shown there hand that they will continue to use the Draft/Draft picks to "help" clubs they deem that need it.
We did get extra rookie spots, and added Liam Shiels (triple premiership player), Daniel Howe (27 years old, 100 AFL games), and Hamish Free (mature-age WAFL player).

And still finished second last.

The idea that state league players move the needle for a bottom side is laughable.

North have been fighting against soft cap raises for years. But rich of them to ask for a cap raise solely for them after that.

While Eagles have been arguing for a soft raise from the start. Eagles would be happy to see everyone get the soft cap raise.

We really need a roster system whereby sides win a flag every 18 years and sides finish last every 18th year.

That would be fairest......
I have no issues with that.

Does that mean that Fremantle, GWS and gold coast win their 1st flags?

bh90210fan and Trouto and Nuke Fremantle would think differently lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They thought they could bring in Kelly and add to a senior group of McGov, Gaff, Sheed, Yeo, Shuey, Cripps, Hurn, Darling ..but all they got is injury after injury along with broken down old warhorse in JK and praying for a Nic Nat return with good form.

But it just didn’t happen for a number of reasons and one of them isn’t age.

McGoveran might seem like he’s 35 but he’s just turned 31. Gaff just turned 30, Shuey 32.

WC thought these guys would be in their prime and going for gold with young gun Allan chipping in and the rest of the under 25s.

They went all in with a pair of aces and lost the bet.
I agree with most of this.....

I have posted on other eagles threads that the Eagles squad is old and beaten up. The squad needs to be refreshed and young and exciting talent to be brought in.

Saying that... those 3 blokes from the 2010 draft, Gaff , Darling and McGovern probably have to hang around for 2024 and 2025 to help the kids come through.

Tim Kelly turns 30 in July of 2024. Not that is a bad thing. I still think he can play decent footy until he is 33 or 34 or 35 years old. So this is around 2026-28, eagles will already be contending for finals until then.

Tim Kellys debut game at the cats, he was aged 23 year old and 242 days. He isnt like most decent eagles players in the 1990s where they debut as 18 or 19 year olds and are broken down by the time they are 30 or 31.

Sort of was a blessing in disguise Tim Kellys body wasnt flying from one end of the country to another as a 19 year old. So yeah, he will play good footy for a few years yet.

Last edited:
I always knew you had a soft spot for the Dockers LoL

The eagles fans have lovely pro Freo usernames such as Nuke Fremantle and purple hater lol

Definitely go soft for Freo.

At home the missus doesn’t use the old I have a headache routine, she just starts singing “Freo way to go…….”.

And down she goes (not the missus).

I didn't mention NM. In the past four years NM have won 19.5 games though?

Let's assume in 2024 the wins/losses remain the same. HAW with 7 and WCE with 3.

WCE
2019 - 5th
2020 - 5th
2021 - 9th
2022 - 17th
2023 - 18th

HAW
2019 - 9th
2020 - 15th
2021 - 14th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 16th

Over a five-year period (2020-2024) WCE would have had 30 wins compared to HAW 34.

Over a six-year period (2019 - 2024) WCE would have had 45 wins equal to HAW 45

Based on this data we can deduce that HAW have been down the bottom for longer than WCE, and won as many games over that period give or take. Why do you think WCE should have one but HAW not?

It seems like a biased argument to justify charity.

For the record I think the system is a stain on the competition. It should be scrapped so clubs can save their dignity and avoid begging.

How many father sons have the Hawks picked up over that period?

Compared to the Eagles?

Two more this draft.

How many have Collingwood and the Dogs had priority access to?

Blues have two next year.

Father sons are a factor in the AFL considering priority picks.

Just like the Eagles got pick 26 when the year earlier they finished last and got pick 4 due to the Suns and the 2nd pick was in the 30's.

Eagles didn't ask this year and likely won't next year. They are at least using future picks get ahead of all the other clubs getting AFL handouts and access. What else can they do?

To the nuffies on here b!thing about the potential priority picks in the future why aren't you complaining about how compromised this draft is?

It seems half the competition are getting a leg up this year one way or the other. And the worse team in AFL history according to the media gets zero. Nadia. NOT A SINGLE BRASS RAZOO.

WCE have been terrible.

And they don't deserve any help.

If they are still this bad in 2033/34, maybe we can talk about a priority pick.

Until then, suck it up sooks. ;)

Best run off and find some more father sons.l to help your rebuild. Another Ablett or Hawkins I'm sure will help you get over other teams getting a pick now and again to even the ledger.

How many father sons have the Hawks picked up over that period?

Compared to the Eagles?

Two more this draft.

How many have Collingwood and the Dogs had priority access to?

Blues have two next year.

Father sons are a factor in the AFL considering priority picks.

Just like the Eagles got pick 26 when the year earlier they finished last and got pick 4 due to the Suns and the 2nd pick was in the 30's.

Eagles didn't ask this year and likely won't next year. They are at least using future picks get ahead of all the other clubs getting AFL handouts and access. What else can they do?

To the nuffies on here b!thing about the potential priority picks in the future why aren't you complaining about how compromised this draft is?

It seems half the competition are getting a leg up this year one way or the other. And the worse team in AFL history according to the media gets zero. Nadia. NOT A SINGLE BRASS RAZOO.
well the cats 2007, 2009 and 2011 flags were built on father son picks of 1999, 2000 and 2001.

I dont recall the dockers winning a flag off the back of father son picks.

None in the first round.

FS has not helped hawthorn at all. We would have been far better off had it never existed.

Well looks like your about to get one this year.

Won't find any non Victorians unhappy to scrap father sons.

Collingwood and the other big Vic clubs .......not so much. They know how far ahead they are with this advantage.

Imagine the outcry from Victoria is the Eagles got the compo Norths just got handed ? we'd be playing finals next year if we did.

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back