West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

And all the while making sure the mug stays I Victoria, after the inquiry of course.
Contrary to West Coast supporters beliefs AFL don't see it as a state v state issue, they see it as an individual club issue, with a majority of Vic teams then it's obvious answer really. Now the Pies have won, Carlton would be in their sights.

How many years in a row did North put the hand out again?

After gutting it's list on purpose?
No one complained when North Melbourne was topping Their list up in 2014, 2015 and 2016 when they made finals.

Finished bottom 4 in 2017. Finished 9th in 2018 then 9th to 12th area on 2019.

It was in 2020 when north fell apart getting bottom 4.

People crap on north for gutting their list at the end of 2021. Who could blame them?

They couldn't keep the old players and dead wood forever. They needed those new kids in.

Mind you they could of kept 2 or 3 of those players for one more year as depth.

BTW Richmond will start suffering soon being stuck on the bottom with these tip four sides getting free hits every year. How long you going to be happy with that? Three recent recent flags will help obviously but fast forward 5 years and you will be getting cranky watching the AFL prop up it's pet teams at the expense of your club.
We are already on our way, this will be our worst season in a decade. We are a different kettle of fish, we know what s**t looks like so as long as we see our off field team recruiting obvious holes then we will take our whack.
Won't stop us from cracking into umpire bias each week or turning on the coaches when we keep playing guys past it but that's how the footy world works.
We have already seen the AFL gift our picks to the likes of Melbourne and Carlton, lucky for us we still managed to recruit Cotchin and Martin.
We also managed to recruit the right players even when Gold Coast and GWS came along, the eagles are a professional club and they will recruit the right players over the next few years.
IMO your bottoming out at the right time before Tassie comes it's just going to take you a few years longer than what you'd consider normal.

Maybe but at least they mostly still turn up. 42k last week.

Tigers haven't even been that bad and only 30k last home game

Probably why they'll get a PP before us, fickle bunch ;)
LOL nice try but that just proves my point as to why the AFL won't give you a PP. Your club is the best in the league as you like to remind us.

LOL nice try but that just proves my point as to why the AFL won't give you a PP. Your club is the best in the league as you like to remind us.
Probably true, us playing (especially now on Sundays) is a picnic day out for our die-hards.
It would actually benefit the club for supporters to give it a miss for a month or two.

Probably true, us playing (especially now on Sundays) is a picnic day out for our die-hards.
It would actually benefit the club for supporters to give it a miss for a month or two.
I feel the same way with the standard of umpiring at our games, it's not the ones we give away it's the ones we never get. Our fans should boycott games but that's the conundrum, both sets of fans love their clubs too much, the CFL has us by the balls.

Look, my gut feel after watching West Coast since inception is they don't need priority picks, they will bounce back no doubt.

I couldn't care less if WC get a 3rd rounder or whatever to trade. But it's peak bigfooty that it's the same loud WC posters who were calling north fans beggars last year and saying how their proud club and fan base would never stoop so low...

Now it's "our pick 19 moved back a little bit, give us free stuff!!!"
I'd have rathered we both get/got no assistance, but it is what it is now. Precedence has been set

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they should split North's 2024 priority picks with them. North are competitive now don't think they need them. As always an overcorrection by the AFL.

These teams should not be getting priority picks.

Priority picks are for teams like the Brisbane Bears and Sydney Swans in the early 1990s trying to establish themselves in the rugby league states and struggling for resources and support, teams like Fitzroy in the mid-1990s stripped of all on-field talent and drowning in red ink; sides like the Fremantle Dockers in the early 2000s which were a total basket case on and off the field; and expansion teams like the Gold Coast and GWS in the early 2010s and for the Tasmanian Devils when they enter the league.

They are not for long-established clubs with no immediate financial problems who happen to be struggling on field at the moment. Too bad, too sad.

I think they should be reintroduced, pick 34 if less than 8 wins in previous 2 years.
You can't get this more than 3 years in a row.
This helps a bit, not worth tanking for though and doesn't stuff up the draft for other teams.

These teams should not be getting priority picks.

Priority picks are for teams like the Brisbane Bears and Sydney Swans in the early 1990s trying to establish themselves in the rugby league states and struggling for resources and support, teams like Fitzroy in the mid-1990s stripped of all on-field talent and drowning in red ink; sides like the Fremantle Dockers in the early 2000s which were a total basket case on and off the field; and expansion teams like the Gold Coast and GWS in the early 2010s and for the Tasmanian Devils when they enter the league.

They are not for long-established clubs with no immediate financial problems who happen to be struggling on field at the moment. Too bad, too sad.
Absolutely. When the afl stops giving assistance to clubs who make grand finals and top 4, the teams at the bottom will have no reason to ask

BTW Richmond will start suffering soon being stuck on the bottom with these tip four sides getting free hits every year. How long you going to be happy with that? Three recent recent flags will help obviously but fast forward 5 years and you will be getting cranky watching the AFL prop up it's pet teams at the expense of your club.
You forget how bad Richmond had been between 1981~2011. Been there, done that. In fact in 2010 when Richmond were losing by 10+ goals every second week many media commentators were saying to throw in a priority pick to Richmond. The team was described as being as bad as Fitzroy in their dying days. Gale pretty much came out and said we don't need it and won't be asking for it. Three flags later says he was right.

It is worth noting that Richmond were so bad in 2010 that the TAB (or some bookie) paid out the bets of Richmond being wooden spooners early which bit them in the arse because Richmond started winning games late in the season and finished 15th (second last).

Both Richmond and West Coast got the short end of the stick that year because of the introduction of GC. Pushed both our picks back further than it should have been (WC pick 4, Richmond pick 6). Now we are in the same boat again at present day with the compromised draft and Tassie coming in soon. Like WC I anticipate we are going to be bottom for a few years yet.

Yep, pick one, then 19… oh, wait.

You can end priority picks when you end father-son and academy discounts

If you want to win flags, got to get lotta top picks, need to bottom out totally, get 6 bluechip mids plus another 10 good support.

If you want to win flags, got to get lotta top picks, need to bottom out totally, get 6 bluechip mids plus another 10 good support.
I recall a team won a flag fairly recently with just two top 10 picks. And one of them was Chris Masten.

I’m also fairly confident that, regardless of whether we get a priority pick, we will win a flag before a few teams that think they are ahead of us in the rebuild.

Well west coast fans said that they didn't need Luke Jackson because they needed mids more lol

You forget how bad Richmond had been between 1981~2011. Been there, done that. In fact in 2010 when Richmond were losing by 10+ goals every second week many media commentators were saying to throw in a priority pick to Richmond. The team was described as being as bad as Fitzroy in their dying days. Gale pretty much came out and said we don't need it and won't be asking for it. Three flags later says he was right.

It is worth noting that Richmond were so bad in 2010 that the TAB (or some bookie) paid out the bets of Richmond being wooden spooners early which bit them in the arse because Richmond started winning games late in the season and finished 15th (second last).

Both Richmond and West Coast got the short end of the stick that year because of the introduction of GC. Pushed both our picks back further than it should have been (WC pick 4, Richmond pick 6). Now we are in the same boat again at present day with the compromised draft and Tassie coming in soon. Like WC I anticipate we are going to be bottom for a few years yet.
Pretty sure we have only ever got one riority draft pick in the history of the club and it was pick 19 which we selected Rance (which was shrewed).

Meanwhile we rebuilt during the Expansion team drafts and ended up winning 3 flags.

Pretty sure we have only ever got one riority draft pick in the history of the club and it was pick 19 which we selected Rance (which was shrewed).

Meanwhile we rebuilt during the Expansion team drafts and ended up winning 3 flags.
We had two. Correct about the before 2nd rnd pick for Rance. The other was in 2004 draft picking up Delidio with pick 1.

2010 a real battler wearing number 8 kicked 10 for the tigers v West Coast. I think he joined the Killers when footy didn't work out? You already had Cotch and Martin on the list too.

Weird to think people couldn't see upside with this 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back