Review West Coast Eagles vs Geelong

Which Eagles/Cats game will we watch this week?

• 1992 Grand Final

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 1994 Grand Final

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • R10, 2006 - Impossible comeback at Kardinya

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • R16, 2011 - Rebounding Eagles make Friday night statement

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • R20, 2012 - The deliberate farce

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • R3, 2018 - Thriller at Optus Stadium

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2006 game was so good and I'm glad I got to watch a decent quality replay.

Agree with the people above regarding Nicoski, was a great half back flanker before that ankle injury.

Hunter and Embley were amazingly clutch in that era. The big names obviously were consistently brilliant, but when you look at all the great games of that era it's uncanny how often those two are the ones kicking the late goals.

Hunter kicked 23 goals in the 10 games that I think were the most memorable/critical* of that era- the 7 finals, the back to back comeback games in 2006, and the 2006 GF rematch against Sydney. He only kicked 20 goals in his other 35 games in those years. I know Throw Hunter Forward (TM) became a bit of a meme at the time, but it was actually pretty amazing how often he would deliver for us when the game needed it. For a guy whose resume was just a tick over 150 games, with no individual honours#, his influence was much higher in that era. 20 of those goals were second half goals too, quite remarkable.

*Actually I think the game in 2006 where we smashed Adelaide by 80+ points was the turning point of the 2006 season, but Hunter didn't play in that game.
#Aside from coming 2nd in our best and fairest in 2007, which is not something I even remembered
Hunter vs McGovern for overall impact

Back