2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't realise we're nowhere near our points cap. Is that because we haven't been arsed trying or no one wants to play for us?

If it's the latter, how the * do we change that?

By winning, because no one wants to play for a team that gets thrashed every week. But we can’t win without decent players. But we can’t get decent players if we’re not winning. But we can’t…

By winning, because no one wants to play for a team that gets thrashed every week. But we can’t win without decent players. But we can’t get decent players if we’re not winning. But we can’t…

So this is what it's like, to support North Melbourne.

Scrap the zones and bring in a draft?

Although then I guess the argument becomes who develops these players.

The one we’ve got, except investing more time and resources into it. Training together more often, training sessions with the non-best 22 of the AFL squad and the top ups together more often, putting more effort into recruiting decent players since we’re nowhere near our points cap. Maybe tweak things a little so we’re not so adherent to training the AFL side’s gameplan at all costs even when it results in a thrashing, be more flexible about switching things.
How often are WAFL top-ups and the non-best 22 currently training together now? How often do you propose they should train together?

You suggest putting more effort into recruiting decent players. Do you consider that the inability of the club to attract quality top-ups (and even to retain former Eagles players) is solely down to lack of effort? Any structural impediments to that?

What portion of the cap did we spend this year?

How often are WAFL top-ups and the non-best 22 currently training together now? How often do you propose they should train together?

No idea, but it was mentioned during the call of the East Perth game as a reason for the apparent disconnect between players.

More than they are now.

You suggest putting more effort into recruiting decent players. Do you consider that the inability of the club to attract quality top-ups (and even to retain former Eagles players) is solely down to lack of effort? Any structural impediments to that?

Not solely down to lack of effort, no. I’m sure the fact that the team was on a massive winless streak had an effect on top players’ willingness to join.

What portion of the cap did we spend this year?

Points-wise, someone else (chaddy or one of the other WAFL experts in the thread) posted the numbers earlier. It was something like 45 points out of a max of 70.

You’ve asked me for a lot of specifics given your entire plan is “just create a new club, let West Coast align with it”. Can I do the same? Where is this new club going to be based - Lathlain or somewhere else? Which area of Perth and/or country WA do you think would be best served by carving out existing clubs’ zones and reallocating them? Peel was created in the mid-90s because the Mandurah region was booming, is there some equivalent area now?

You’ve asked me for a lot of specifics given your entire plan is “just create a new club, let West Coast align with it”. Can I do the same? Where is this new club going to be based - Lathlain or somewhere else? Which area of Perth and/or country WA do you think would be best served by carving out existing clubs’ zones and reallocating them? Peel was created in the mid-90s because the Mandurah region was booming, is there some equivalent area now?
Lathlain would be convenient but I’m not sure of the current lease arrangements there. Perhaps co-tenancy at an established ground would be better. Or a new ground built? Or an established amateur ground developed. I’m sure an expensive consultant could have a field day preparing a report on this.

As for the area best served, to begin with I’d focus on those growing areas, north coastal or to the east. Maybe there’s an ambitious, amateur club (North Beach?) that’d be interested. The population of Perth has grown by 800k since Peel entered. It’s now about $2.1m. It’s projected to grow by another 800k by 2031:

Presumably the WAFC is monitoring this population growth and has some vision on how the competition should respond to the huge increase.

The model I’ve proposed is not an overnight or an easy solution, it’s a long-term proposition but hopefully more sustainable than what we’ve seen so far and one which minimises competitive disadvantage as against other AFL clubs.

Lathlain would be convenient but I’m not sure of the current lease arrangements there. Perhaps co-tenancy at an established ground would be better. Or a new ground built? Or an established amateur ground developed. I’m sure an expensive consultant could have a field day preparing a report on this.

As for the area best served, to begin with I’d focus on those growing areas, north coastal or to the east. Maybe there’s an ambitious, amateur club (North Beach?) that’d be interested. The population of Perth has grown by 800k since Peel entered. It’s now about $2.1m. It’s projected to grow by another 800k by 2031:

Presumably the WAFC is monitoring this population growth and has some vision on how the competition should respond to the huge increase.

The model I’ve proposed is not an overnight or an easy solution, it’s a long-term proposition but hopefully more sustainable than what we’ve seen so far and one which minimises competitive disadvantage as against other AFL clubs.

That’s actually a much more detailed and thought out response than I was expecting.

I doubt the participation numbers (for males anyway) has increased anything like as much over that time period, and you’d have massive pushback from Claremont and Subiaco who are the ones who’d be getting their zones cannibalised.

If the WAFL thinks there’s a need for a tenth team, then I think creating a club (or promoting an ammo club like North Beach) and immediately aligning them with us would be a decent solution for us and for them.

If they don’t see a need for a tenth team, I don’t think foisting one on them just so we can have some players to draw on to fill out our reserves squad is a viable idea. And I’m dead sure they wouldn’t think it’s viable either.

Here’s the clubs WAFL player reviews from the club.

Feels like we are foreshadowing Clay Hall debut.

Also a little bit interesting on Burgiel. Seemed to providing a bit of context for his lower numbers on game day.

IIRC the reason the Eagles are a standalone WAFL club is they considered that Victorian AFL clubs were gaining a competitive advantage in having a standalone side in the VFL. It was thought that these Victorian clubs were able to ensure their players better understood the system the club wanted to play, and got experience playing in the positions the club wanted them to play. This ensured their young players could contribute earlier at AFL level and had better prospects of success.

To those now advocating a return to the model in which the Eagles players are dispersed around the various WAFL clubs (to play league or ressies), do you acknowledge that this model will likely see players forced to play other systems and played in positions the Eagles don’t want to develop them in?

I don’t like the sound of an Eagles team in a national comp because it will exacerbate travel concerns and I don’t see why it’ll ensure the reserves club is more competitive.

I don’t like the idea of a continuation of the basket case we’ve got in the WAFL because I think the Eagles will struggle to attract players to complete the list for the reasons others have mentioned.

It seems to me that the best of all worlds is to build a model for the Eagles similar to what Freo have at Peel. Yes, that means they’ll need draft zones, and yes that might mean the existing clubs need to agree to some re-distribution of zones.

It’s been suggested that the WAFL clubs won’t agree to any re-distribution of zones whatsoever. Do the WAFL clubs depend substantially on funding from the WAFC? If so, then surely the WAFC can force the WAFL clubs to come to the table.

AFL systems don’t work at wafl level… no wafl club adopts and afl system in terms of game plan 100% … the fitness isn’t there to run up and down the ground all day..

No, players aren’t played generally played out of positions or not where the afl club wants them played…
On the odd occasions it has continually happened that player has been moved …

You wouldn’t stick a ruckman at east Perth where he would play second fiddle to Jones so you allocate the players to where they are best going to be used… it’s not rocket science

As for the afl listed players and the tops ups training together they should have training together at least once a week..

When I was at East Perth the afl players who were allocated there trained the last training session of the week with the league team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Animated GIF

I get the feeling that folding the Beagles and splitting the players back amongst the WAFL is just what the WAFL wants.

Other than giving the flogs what they want, i don't see too many other downsides TBH. Pro's outweigh the cons.

I'm assuming though with the Beagles folded, the WAFL loses revenue from WCE for no longer fielding a team?

I get the feeling that folding the Beagles and splitting the players back amongst the WAFL is just what the WAFL wants.

Other than giving the flogs what they want, i don't see too many other downsides TBH. Pro's outweigh the cons.

I'm assuming though with the Beagles folded, the WAFL loses revenue from WCE for no longer fielding a team?

Only 300k which is nothing really.
Do t think that will happen.
I think they will stay in the WAFL and with even further reduced concessions for just two more years and then go to the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they will stay in the WAFL and with even further reduced concessions for just two more years and then go to the VFL.

Did we kick anything to the clubs or visa versa to have them spread out in the WAFL before we aligned with the Royals?

Gee i hope not. That sounds like an awfully worst case/shit scenario.

I can see why the club doesn't want to fold the Beagles, given the big push for a standalone team and what was involved to get it up and running in the first place... but the extra dickaround to join the VFL and the logistics involved in that sounds like a worse option than just folding and spreading the players back among the WAFL teams.

Double that, Eagles WAFL fee is $600k

Not pocket change

North Melbourne ended their affiliation with Werribee in 2018 and created their own standalone VFL side.

In their worst season since then (2022) they went 4-14. Last year they went 10-8 and made the finals, despite the AFL side being very nearly as bad as us.

If they can make a standalone side work, surely we can.

North Melbourne ended their affiliation with Werribee in 2018 and created their own standalone VFL side.

In their worst season since then (2022) they went 4-14. Last year they went 10-8 and made the finals, despite the AFL side being very nearly as bad as us.

If they can make a standalone side work, surely we can.

And they do it with the same restrictions the Eagles face. TPP of only 110k. Different recruiting restrictions though. But definitely do not have the sane salary cap as non afl clubs.

Ok, I thoughts it was reduced to 300k this year.
West Coast will pay a one-off sign-on fee of $90,000 to enter the WAFL, as well as an annual contribution of $800,000.

The sign-on fee will be distributed equally between the nine WAFL clubs.

The annual $800,000 will include $45,000 to be shared among the clubs, $54,000 to cover the costs of an extra game per round.

West Coast will pay a one-off sign-on fee of $90,000 to enter the WAFL, as well as an annual contribution of $800,000.

The sign-on fee will be distributed equally between the nine WAFL clubs.

The annual $800,000 will include $45,000 to be shared among the clubs, $54,000 to cover the costs of an extra game per round.

Is that from when we originally entered in 2019? It got reduced during Covid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back