News Western Bulldogs Offseason 2013-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Practice matches have been released! We have a practice match.... Drumroll please...

On Friday March 7th...

Against Carlton....

At Visy Park!

WILL Minson has capped the best year of his career by signing a fresh contract with the Western Bulldogs.

The All-Australian ruckman has put pen to paper on a new two-year deal that ties him to the kennel until the end of 2016 - fitting reward for season in which he stamped himself as one of the league's premier big men. Minson was already contracted for 2014, but didn't hesitate to accept the extension when the Dogs opened discussions a few weeks ago.

"I haven't really told anyone about it, no one knows about it, but I'm thrilled that I was able to sign. There was absolutely no hesitation," Minson told the Herald Sun.

"It's a terrific Christmas present. I wasn't expecting for it to all to be done in a matter of weeks. The club said they were keen to negotiate an extension and I was like, 'Fabulous'. It's worked out a bit different to the last contract when the season had finished and I was in the middle of Los Roques in Venezuela and an email came through with a contract."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-the-end-of-2016/story-fni5fazt-1226786925960

Great stuff Will and the club. That's the end of Big Will pissing off under free agency. You've gotta love the big fella - gives his all and just loves the club. I'm stoked! Geez we've made some good signings in the past month.

Great stuff Will and the club. That's the end of Big Will pissing off under free agency. You've gotta love the big fella - gives his all and just loves the club. I'm stoked! Geez we've made some good signings in the past month.

Don't believe Big Will has ever left a lot of doubt re his love for, and loyalty to, the Club.
Good on you Will, your a true Bulldog, and a champion one at that.

Never in doubt, the only reason he would have left was for an absolutely absurd amount of money, which I'm not sure he would have been offered. Either way I'm stoked he's re-signed, bring on next year!

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-12-23/another-pup-recommits

After turning heads in his maiden season, father-son recruit Lachie Hunter has extended his contract until 2016.
Hunter debuted in round 13 against Richmond, playing all but two games thereafter, and joins the rest of his 2012 draftees in penning new deals.
The 19-year-old was a bright spark in his debut season and began to stamp himself in the Dogs’ forward line, including a career best 22 disposals, five inside 50s and two goals against Melbourne in round 23.
Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney was impressed with the rate of Hunter’s development, and said there was more to look forward to.
“Lachie re-signing is a big positive and adds to the core group of young players who have recently shown their commitment to Club ,” McCartney said.
“He has displayed a range of admirable qualities in his short time at the Club and although Lachie’s best footy is still to come, we are pleased with the way he’s tracking.”
Hunter joined the Bulldogs under the father-son rule in the 2012 AFL Draft, with the Club using pick 49 overall to secure his services.

Hear that Jason Johannisen's manager is in dispute with the club. Club and manager cannot agree on terms and are miles apart !!!! What is he worth and how long should he be contracted for ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear that Jason Johannisen's manager is in dispute with the club. Club and manager cannot agree on terms and are miles apart !!!! What is he worth and how long should he be contracted for ?

He should fire his manager since if he leaves he will miss out on being a great flag winning time and i don't think Macca would allow him to leave.
He's the type of person who would talk to you like a man and give you all the facts to stay regardless of pay

Let me guess, his manager is Ralph Carr??.............

I hope that JJ does stay with the Dogs. Looks like a great player for us down the track.

I await confirmation/source of this. Where did you hear it?

If true I will back the club's list management who have got nearly all of their calls right re contracts in the last couple of years. I want JJ to stay but if there's any truth to this at all, the club is always bigger than the player.

No need for anyone to panic just yet.

I don't usually drop in to other teams forums - but I love the way the Doggies played in the second half of last season.
I'll be watching plenty of games next year and it's an exciting prospect the way the kids are stepping up and going about their footy. I can see a big improvement again next year. B-Mac is doing good things for the club.

I wish this off-season would hurry up so we can get to Round 1!

I don't usually drop in to other teams forums - but I love the way the Doggies played in the second half of last season.
I'll be watching plenty of games next year and it's an exciting prospect the way the kids are stepping up and going about their footy. I can see a big improvement again next year. B-Mac is doing good things for the club.

I wish this off-season would hurry up so we can get to Round 1!
Love to beat (or more recently the notion of beating) the cats on the field but feel an enormous debt of gratitude to them off it (special mention to Tom Harley). We've raided your cupboard, particularly of coaching prospects, and of course Macca honed his skills and probably both learnt and in part developed a ridiculously successful template for a football department. I too am very much looking forward to the coming season and the year when aforementioned notion is just a memory. Good luck to the cats as well for 2014.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-18/high-pick-keeps-grounded

‘No expectations, no disappointments, ’ so says the adage, and it's a similar attitude first round draft pick Marcus Bontempelli has brought to the kennel.
“From the start I tried to not have any expectations because I wanted to embrace it fresh,” Bontempelli said.
“I didn’t really want to put too many standards on things or anything like that to interpret what I thought it might have been like, I just really wanted to get amongst it and let it evolve.
“I think that’s the best way to go about it, because I have really just enjoyed the last two months and have really loved where footy has taken me on this path.”
After two months at the Western Bulldogs the 18-year-old is beginning to find confidence in his training and it is paying dividends both in the gym and out on the track.
“I have put on a little bit of weight already which is good because it helps me to compete a bit better with the bigger bodies,” he said.
“It definitely has helped me in the last two weeks or three weeks post-Christmas, being able to train with the main group because I can probably handle it now a little bit more.
“It’s going to be a tough midfield to break into but at the same time I am going to be doing everything I can to make myself improve but also my teammates.”
The Club’s coaching department has also made an impression on the tall midfielder, welcoming the direction and advice of the well-credentialed group.
“As soon as you walk in you start to already recognise the talent in the coaching department,” he said.
“You just have to sort of hear the names and you already shiver at how good these blokes have been.
“There’s a lot of talent moving through the blood here… it just keeps going, it just keeps expanding, so it has been amazing.”
Already impressed with Senior Coach Brendan McCartney from their initial meeting before the draft, Bontempelli said his hands-on and approachable coaching style is immediately paying dividends.
“[I have] a great respect for how he coaches and how personal he gets with players and I think that is a massive bonus for us.”

Geelong premiership stars Cameron Mooney and Matthew Scarlett have extended their coaching commitments with the Western Bulldogs, as the Dogs seek to build on last year's strong finish.

Jones was the Dogs' No. 1 target inside 50 last season but managed only the 22 goals in 19 matches.
''He has a lot of talent, a lot of attributes. He just needs to keep working hard on the track,'' Mooney said. ''It's no secret his fitness was always his problem. He just doesn't have a huge engine, but he has worked his backside off through the pre-season and that is something the club is constantly pushing with him so he can play the way the game is played now.''

Grant booted 13 goals and was ranked equal No. 1 at the club during the final eight matches. Mooney said Lachie Hunter, Nathan Hrovat and Luke Dahlhaus also had major roles to play this season.
''There is good competition down there at the moment - Ayce Cordy is another one,'' Mooney said.
''These guys have been there for a while now. Tommy Williams is training really well - fingers crossed we can get him on the field for the majority of the season. Jake Stringer is now in his second year and developing.''

While expectations have risen, with some supporters hopeful the team can jockey for a finals berth, Mooney has asked for caution.
''At the end of the day they still finished 15th, you can't go past that. We are just looking for more improvement again,'' he said.
''It can take a long time to learn what the coach wants you to do … it took us eight years to have success at Geelong from when 'Bomber' [Mark Thompson] first took over.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...w-scarlett-give-dogs-more-20140118-311qj.html

Speaking to SEN on Monday morning, he said the club was in a nice position with seasoned veterans Matthew Boyd, Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa still guiding the club while talented newcomers such as Nathan Hrovat, Lachie Hunter and Jackson Macrae found their feet.

"Yeah it's starting to," Mooney said, when asked if the midfield group resembled an elite group.

"Led by young Libba (Tom Liberatore), who I just think is exceptional with the way he works around those packs and his clearance work."

"And then obviously Ryan Griffen, who let's be honest he is elite now but you put him in a side that starts having success and you're talking about one of the great midfielders of the competition.

"Watching him at training, I just sometimes laugh to myself because he just embarrasses everybody with how quick he is and how quickly he can get out of situations.

"I'd love to see him with the captaincy on his shoulders this year and see how he goes. I think he's going to be exceptional with it."

The Bulldogs drafted junior star Marcus Bontempelli with the No.4 selection last year, and while Mooney said he may only play "half a dozen games" in 2014, the club likes what it sees.

"We drafted him as an onballer, and you don't want to put these big statements on him, but he does move a lot like a (Scott) Pendlebury," Mooney said.

"He's that left footer, he's got a lot of time, he looks classy.

"He's just got a lot of time around the ball and that's just a fantastic thing to have.

"I was talking to (development coach) Joel Corey who's done a little bit of work with him and he's quite impressed with what he's seen ... if 'Smithy's' impressed with him, that must mean he's going to be a pretty good player."

The Bulldogs finished 15th last season and while improvement is expected, Mooney said fans shouldn't get over excited.

"They finished the year off in a really positive note and if they can keep improving, and if they're pushing for the eight at the end of the year, then that would be a fantastic result I would think for that footy club," he said.

"I just hope at the end of the year the Bulldogs supporters are saying 'We're not that far away from playing finals again'."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...shaking-his-head/story-fni5fazt-1226805654594

Remove this Banner Ad

Back