What are the question marks over your team in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Dixon, Georgie, Marshall, Finlayson, Lord and a resting ruck; who plays in our 3 KPF positions and who steps up, as we don't have a star

With Ladhams moving on, will Hayes be an improvement to the 22 or will we rely up dixon and finlayson as the resting ruck

Are we too short down back with Aliir our only tall defender

Where does our pace come from in the midfield

We need a lot to click in the off season to peg the gap between us and the likes of the dees and the dogs
Georgiadis must play.
Then it is a question of 2 of Dixon, Finlayson & Marshall.
Finlayson probably a better option as backup ruckman than Dixon... unless you use Aliir Aliir, but he is needed in defence.

Really need Clurey to come good as lack a quality lockdown tall defender.

Surely time to give Butters & Rozee more time in the middle.

Crows biggest issue is transitioning the next generation through the midfield. Started with Schoenberg this year, but need others. Means the likes of Sloane need to spend time elsewhere.

Also, a question of our 2nd key defender after Butts. Murray solid this year this year, but will McAsey put his hand up, or does he play forward.

Just need to get as many kids to 50+ games as soon as possible, whist developing Nick's game plan.

*** FAKE NEWS ***
*** FAKE NEWS ***

That the Melbourne Demons did not require any "depth-testing" in the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season is one of the most egregious lies in modern history, akin to the baseless and hurtful conspiracy theories spouted on 8chan by tinfoil wearing arse-hats.

The Melbourne Demons absolutely required "depth-testing". Consider firstly that they commenced the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season without Key Position Forward Big Benny Brown, who ultimately missed more than half the season. Players of Ben's calibre don't simply "fall out of a trees"; his 1.9 goal-a-game average was equal to Joey "Big D" Danniher and Tom Lynch in 2021, his season culminating in a ripper 3 goal game in the grand final.

Midfield stars James Harmes and ex-captain Jack Viney missed a combined total of 17 games (FYI much more than Bulldogs duo Josh Dunkley and Adam Treloar missed throughout the season).

However it is the Melbourne Demons backline, aka the greatest defence in AFL history, which was the most devastated by injuries. We lost high-profile recruit Adam Tomlinson to a season-ending injury in round 3, replacing him with some guy named Harrison who had played less than a dozen games. Jayden "Torpedo King" Hunt's season was tragically cut short on the eve of finals, opening the door for debutant Jake Bowey. The backline was further compromised by Joel Smith's season ending in the qualifying final (after only three games), and injuries during the regular season to Christian Salem and Steven May, who due to lack of available defenders was forced to play the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final with a broken leg.

That we not only won the premiership having endured such a significant injury crisis, but triumphed in an historic, unprecedented demolition of the Western Bulldogs is not only credit to our brilliant team, but a testament to our wonderful depth.

Just because our supporters didn't whinge every single week about missing players like Western Bulldogs supporters did, it doesn't mean we "didn't get injuries".

Melbourne Demons are the best team in the AFL. And our depth kicks arse. We've proven this already.
I should have said don't get many injuries like the Dees did, or have a season where you have according to AFL Data the least injuries of all 18 clubs. Doesn't detract from the flag which was fantastic for the game. But no -one had a fuller roster to choose from , from start to finish in 2021 👌

I should have said don't get many injuries like the Dees did, or have a season where you have according to AFL Data the least injuries of all 18 clubs. But no -one had a fuller roster to choose from , from start to finish in 2021 👌
*** FAKE NEWS ***
*** FAKE NEWS***

The AFL (Champion) Data you are quoting ranks Melbourne as 18th on their so-called Injury Ladder based on the injury cost, which is determined by "the AFL Player Ratings cost to the team based on the difference between the injured player and their positional replacement" (so, in other words, according to the Champion Data, we were the least affected by injuries... because the positional replacements we had (ie: the depth) was actually really ******* good.

It is factually incorrect to state that Melbourne had the fullest list to choose from: this is shown in the same "Injury Ladder" which ranks Melbourne 13th for games lost for any "player on a club's list who has been unavailable for a match through injury".

Please note I'm only quoting the statistics from June 2021, as to the best of my knowledge, the AFL have not updated the Injury Ladder for the full season, please correct me if I'm wrong.

:heart:

tl;dr Dees are the best and our depth is the best

*** FAKE NEWS ***
*** FAKE NEWS***

The AFL (Champion) Data you are quoting ranks Melbourne as 18th on their so-called Injury Ladder based on the injury cost, which is determined by "the AFL Player Ratings cost to the team based on the difference between the injured player and their positional replacement" (so, in other words, according to the Champion Data, we were the least affected by injuries... because the positional replacements we had (ie: the depth) was actually really ******* good.

It is factually incorrect to state that Melbourne had the fullest list to choose from: this is shown in the same "Injury Ladder" which ranks Melbourne 13th for games lost for any "player on a club's list who has been unavailable for a match through injury".

Please note I'm only quoting the statistics from June 2021, as to the best of my knowledge, the AFL have not updated the Injury Ladder for the full season, please correct me if I'm wrong.

:heart:

tl;dr Dees are the best and our depth is the best
Very quick look. I've got 10 of your players at full roster of 25 games . 4 at 24 and 2 Steven May and Tom McDonald at 23.
So 16 have missed an entire total of 8 games for the entire season between them, and your guns Gawn/ Oliver/Petracca /Brayshaw /Lever not a minute.

TA - I don't think any Dee's supporter would be claiming they didn't have a fantastic run with injury this year :think:

Last edited:
Very quick look.
... what is very quick look?

First you quoted “AFL Data” (wrongly), now you are just making s**t up. Please stop.

According to you, ten players- that is less than half of the premiership team- played every game. Sounds like our depth got a bit of a workout there? Only lost four games, ripper.

Had a bit of luck with a couple of guns playing every game but so did every team.

Dees are the best

... what is very quick look?

First you quoted “AFL Data” (wrongly), now you are just making sh*t up. Please stop.

According to you, ten players- that is less than half of the premiership team- played every game. Sounds like our depth got a bit of a workout there? Only lost four games, ripper.

Had a bit of luck with a couple of guns playing every game but so did every team.

Dees are the best
Making Sh*t up. Those statistics about how many games how many Melbourne players played in season 2021 are wrong :think:

Making Sh*t up. Those statistics about how many games how many Melbourne players played in season 2021 are wrong :think:
Yes, you are making s**t up. Let's go over this again:

You said Melbourne's depth was not tested because we had no injuries. This is false. We had several injuries, including a key back playing only seven games (who, along with one other best-22 back (Hunt), and his replacement (Smith), was missing for both the preliminary and grand finals), our full forward out for more than half the season, and two best-22 midfielders out for a combined 18 games.

You then backtracked and said that "AFL data" said Melbourne were the least affected by injuries. This was actually just a lie: Firstly, the complete "injury ladder" for 2021 is unavailable, and secondly, the data available (up to the midway point of the season), shows that Melbourne were the least affected by injuries... not based on available players, but based on the difference in the AFL player rankings score with the players who replaced them (which basically just says our depth was better than every other teams).

After debunking your claim that Melbourne did not have injuries, and your claim that "AFL Data showed Melbourne had the fullest roster", you are now backtracking again: "16 players missed a combined total of eight games"..? The continuity in our side is not simply a result of injuries. It is also a testament to our developing youngsters like Rivers, Pickett, Jackson, Spargo, Bowey and Petty (and our coaching and fitness staff), that once selected they were able to hold their spot without being dropped due to form or fitness issues.

Now please stop.

Yes, you are making sh*t up. Let's go over this again:

You said Melbourne's depth was not tested because we had no injuries. This is false. We had several injuries, including a key back playing only seven games (who, along with one other best-22 back (Hunt), and his replacement (Smith), was missing for both the preliminary and grand finals), our full forward out for more than half the season, and two best-22 midfielders out for a combined 18 games.

You then backtracked and said that "AFL data" said Melbourne were the least affected by injuries. This was actually just a lie: Firstly, the complete "injury ladder" for 2021 is unavailable, and secondly, the data available (up to the midway point of the season), shows that Melbourne were the least affected by injuries... not based on available players, but based on the difference in the AFL player rankings score with the players who replaced them (which basically just says our depth was better than every other teams).

After debunking your claim that Melbourne did not have injuries, and your claim that "AFL Data showed Melbourne had the fullest roster", you are now backtracking again: "16 players missed a combined total of eight games"..? The continuity in our side is not simply a result of injuries. It is also a testament to our developing youngsters like Rivers, Pickett, Jackson, Spargo, Bowey and Petty (and our coaching and fitness staff), that once selected they were able to hold their spot without being dropped due to form or fitness issues.

Now please stop.
Did correct myself from saying no injuries which is obviously not possible to having to having a fantastic run with injury . That was not the case??

Yes, you are making sh*t up. Let's go over this again:

Now please stop.
Out of a possible 25 games
25 - OLIVER, GAWN,PETRACA,BRAYSHAW,BULLEN,SPARGO,LEVER,RIVERS,JORDAN,PICKETT
24 - SALEM,LANGDON,JACKSON,FRITSCH
23 -MAY McDONALD

TA - out of curiosity - who are your best dozen players at the Dees??

Yeah, nah.

Take nothing away from the Dee's - I think every supporter found their win fantastic for their supporters and their level of football from half way through the third in the grand final exhilirating. It was great for the game.

But I'd be interested if any other Dee supporters have a similar view to TA. The 16 players who played virtually every game for the entire season is quite compelling. So did every team?? :think: I don't think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of a possible 25 games
25 - OLIVER, GAWN,PETRACA,BRAYSHAW,BULLEN,SPARGO,LEVER,RIVERS,JORDAN,PICKETT
More lies.

We don't have a player at Melbourne called Bullen, or a player called Jordan? We do have a player called Neal-Bullen, and we do have a player called Jordon (but he was the medical sub for a few games, including the grand final, so I'm not sure that counts as 25 games, and who cares anyway, he only debuted this year, he's hardly a superstar yet).

Who are your best dozen players at the Dees?
Who cares?

Melbourne did not have injuries- false.
Melbourne had the fullest roster to choose from- false.
Melbourne did not have "depth-testing"- false.

Melbourne is the best- true.

More lies.

We don't have a player at Melbourne called Bullen, or a player called Jordan? We do have a player called Neal-Bullen, and we do have a player called Jordon (but he was the medical sub for a few games, including the grand final, so I'm not sure that counts as 25 games, and who cares anyway, he only debuted this year, he's hardly a superstar yet).

Who cares?

Melbourne did not have injuries- false.
Melbourne had the fullest roster to choose from- false.
Melbourne did not have "depth-testing"- false.

Melbourne is the best- true.

Who cares? All good.
Fair enough TA - argument closed . :thumbsu:

Take nothing away from the Dee's - I think every supporter found their win fantastic for their supporters and their level of football from half way through the third in the grand final exhilirating. It was great for the game.

But I'd be interested if any other Dee supporters have a similar view to TA. The 16 players who played virtually every game for the entire season is quite compelling. So did every team?? :think: I don't think so.
I guess the interests for me would be who was missing from their best 22 for the GF, and who would they replace.

I guess the interests for me would be who was missing from their best 22 for the GF, and who would they replace.
Very good question , and HUNT and SMITH have been described as being injured for both prelim and grand finals. Some other Dee's supporters might be able to field this, but I think those poor lads who were injured ,were available for the grand final , but unfortunately couldn't force their way back in . Hunt played most the year and couldn't force his way back in and Smith came in right at the end , played a few games , got injured and also couldn't force his way back in. But from memory , both were available for the grand final .

The 16 players who played virtually every game for the entire season is quite compelling. So did every team??
I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

You can't even spell two of the names on that list and one of them was a medical sub for a number of games. You've also lied and either misconstrued or misunderstood basic facts.

As already explained, that some players managed every game isn't just a result of injury management. It's because we didn't need to drop first and second year players due to form and fitness.

Dees are the best.

This isn't relevant to the original point that we had no injuries during the year.

But, fwiw, Melbourne was missing Tomlinson who was replaced by Petty (who as mentioned, had played less than a dozen games at the time he was selected). Hunt going down probably opened the door for Hibberd.

I'm not sure who the Dogs were missing outside of Bruce?

I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

You can't even spell two of the names on that list and one of them was a medical sub for a number of games. You've also lied and either misconstrued or misunderstood basic facts.

As already explained, that some players managed every game isn't just a result of injury management. It's because we didn't need to drop first and second year players due to form and fitness.

Dees are the best.

This isn't relevant to the original point that we had no injuries during the year.

But, fwiw, Melbourne was missing Tomlinson who was replaced by Petty (who as mentioned, had played less than a dozen games at the time he was selected). Hunt going down probably opened the door for Hibberd.

I'm not sure who the Dogs were missing outside of Bruce?
We seem to be going around in circles here TA- no problem.
In your opinion give me one of the 17 other clubs [ or more if they come to mind to support your argument] that had a better run with injury in the 2021 season than the Dee's :think:

We seem to be going around in circles here TA- no problem.
In your opinion give me one of the 17 other clubs [ or more if they come to mind to support your argument] that had a better run with injury in the 2021 season than the Dee's :think:
Nah, you're right, the Dees did reasonably well on the injury front :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

But it is over-emphasised.

Had we lost Petracca, Oliver or Gawn, someone already named would play their role: Jackson to the ruck, Brayshaw/Viney/Harmes to shovel the ball out. We need not rely on Nathan Jones or Jake Melksham (a combined 17 games for the year) to win the game. Our players are trained in several roles and we're the fittest team in the league. We carried plenty with injuries through the year, turned unknown players like Petty (11 games when selected) and Bowey (0) into premiership heroes, played without our KPF for more than half the season, and still only lost 4 games (one by a point) on our way to premiership glory. We were absolutely head and shoulders above every other team in the league.

Dees are the best. And we're only getting better baby!!!

Nah, you're right, the Dees did reasonably well on the injury front :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

But it is over-emphasised.

Had we lost Petracca, Oliver or Gawn, someone already named would play their role: Jackson to the ruck, Brayshaw/Viney/Harmes to shovel the ball out. We need not rely on Nathan Jones or Jake Melksham (a combined 17 games for the year) to win the game. Our players are trained in several roles and we're the fittest team in the league. We carried plenty with injuries through the year, turned unknown players like Petty (11 games when selected) and Bowey (0) into premiership heroes, played without our KPF for more than half the season, and still only lost 4 games (one by a point) on our way to premiership glory. We were absolutely head and shoulders above every other team in the league.

Dees are the best. And we're only getting better baby!!!
Did reasonably well. :think: After looking up those figures even I was surprised of the amount of games your best dozen played. Over emphasized ?? .
TA - if you can give me another of the 17 clubs who had this % of their best players play this %of the season , I'm all ears 👍

That's not a knock by the way. Most years that is the case . The Dee's in 2021 were the outstanding team across the year , the finals series , and grand final day.👍

*** FAKE NEWS ***
*** FAKE NEWS ***

That the Melbourne Demons did not require any "depth-testing" in the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season is one of the most egregious lies in modern history, akin to the baseless and hurtful conspiracy theories spouted on 8chan by tinfoil wearing arse-hats.

The Melbourne Demons absolutely required "depth-testing". Consider firstly that they commenced the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season without Key Position Forward Big Benny Brown, who ultimately missed more than half the season. Players of Ben's calibre don't simply "fall out of a trees"; his 1.9 goal-a-game average was equal to Joey "Big D" Danniher and Tom Lynch in 2021, his season culminating in a ripper 3 goal game in the grand final.

Midfield stars James Harmes and ex-captain Jack Viney missed a combined total of 17 games (FYI much more than Bulldogs duo Josh Dunkley and Adam Treloar missed throughout the season).

However it is the Melbourne Demons backline, aka the greatest defence in AFL history, which was the most devastated by injuries. We lost high-profile recruit Adam Tomlinson to a season-ending injury in round 3, replacing him with some guy named Harrison who had played less than a dozen games. Jayden "Torpedo King" Hunt's season was tragically cut short on the eve of finals, opening the door for debutant Jake Bowey. The backline was further compromised by Joel Smith's season ending in the qualifying final (after only three games), and injuries during the regular season to Christian Salem and Steven May, who due to lack of available defenders was forced to play the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final with a broken leg.

That we not only won the premiership having endured such a significant injury crisis, but triumphed in an historic, unprecedented demolition of the Western Bulldogs is not only credit to our brilliant team, but a testament to our wonderful depth.

Just because our supporters didn't whinge every single week about missing players like Western Bulldogs supporters did, it doesn't mean we "didn't get injuries".

Melbourne Demons are the best team in the AFL. And our depth kicks arse. We've proven this already.

Melbourne had an injury run from heaven:

Played every single game: Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Brayshaw, Lever, Neal-Bullen, Spargo, Pickett.

Missed 1-2 games: Salem, May, Langdon, McDonald, Fritsch, Jackson

So basically thirteen of Melbourne’s best 15 players played 23 games or more.

It’s extraordinarily good fortune that won’t be repeated. So their depth wasn’t tested at all. And even injuries they did suffer such as Tomlinson didn’t hurt at all as Petty replaced him and was every bit as good if not better, so it was a net break even injury.

And don’t be fooled by being hurt by Ben Brown’s injury … he was playing multiple weeks of two’s when fully fit, so he ain’t no big gun.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Melbourne had an injury run from heaven:

Played every single game: Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Brayshaw, Lever, Neal-Bullen, Spargo, Pickett.

It’s extraordinarily good fortune that won’t be repeated. So their depth wasn’t tested at all. And even injuries they did suffer such as Tomlinson didn’t hurt at all as Petty replaced him and was every bit as good if not better, so it was a net break even injury.

And don’t be fooled by being hurt by Ben Brown’s injury … he was playing multiple weeks of two’s when fully fit, so he ain’t no big gun.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My Demon mates [ cynical like us Sainters] said all year what a golden run injury wise they had , and were just waiting for some big guns to fall over late in the year. Just never happened- their guns had a clean bill of health.
Great for the game they won. And very deserving winners.
But yes, such a run is unlikely to happen again. :thumbsu:

Noidnadroj said:
... and I thought I was the only person on bigfooty who realised Charlie Spargo was a superstar!

You know Melbourne tried to trade two of the players you listed? Turns out we couldn't even give them away, but now they've got a flag they're two of the greatest Melbourne players of all time..?

... which 15 players are those again? Actually don't tell me, I don't care. Fact is, most people would have had Ben Brown, James Harmes, Jack Viney and Adam Tomlinson ahead of Charlie Spargo and ANB at the start of the year. And probably still do.

So their depth wasn’t tested at all.
You seem slow; I'll say it again:

Ben Brown missed more than half the season.
James Harmes and Jack Viney missed a combined total of 17 games.
Adam Tomlinson had a season-ending injury in round 7.
Jayden Hunt's season was tragically cut short on the eve of finals.

Significant casualties along with the usual one or two game injuries, and we still only lost four games for the year and destroyed our grand and preliminary final opponents.

And even injuries they did suffer such as Tomlinson didn’t hurt at all as Petty replaced him and was every bit as good if not better, so it was a net break even injury.
Ummm, do you even know what you are saying?

That we were able to replace a best-22 player with a player who had managed only 11 games with a "break even" is surely testament to the quality of our depth?

Bullshit. Players require time to get match fit after a significant injury lay off. This was the case with Big Benny, who finished the season with 3 goals in a grand final, and averaging 1.9 goals for the season; the same as Tom Lynch and Joey "Big D" Danniher.

Ben Brown is a gun.

Dees are the best.
But yes, such a run is unlikely to happen again.
Is it? Bont, McRae, Smith, Libba, Hunter, Naughton, Daniel all played 25+ for the Dogs. That's a fair chunk of their best players who managed the whole season.

Really sounds like you're just making up s**t again, I thought we talked this already?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back