What are the question marks over your team in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Question is basically in the title but what are the question about your team going into the 2022 season? What are you worried about, what are you hopeful about?

For me the big question for the Swans is just how our young players can continue developing, guys like Warner, Rowbottom, Blakey, McDonald, McInerney, Campbell, Gulden, Wicks, McCartin etc, all of whom showed so much promise and all of whom took big steps in 2021 but the question is can they do it again and get better, or more consistent.

The massive problem for the Swans in 2022, and what could really derail our season is midfield depth. We lost both Dawson and Hewett at the end of this year and while our first team midfield looks good there is very little to no depth under that first team. 2 or 3 midfielders get injured and we are scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of who comes into the side.

Defence is going to be interesting. In 2021 the team was really caught out with only having 1 key defender, Rampe no longer able to play tall like he used to and as a result we only had McCartin, with our other defenders often being caught out for height. With the hopeful addition of Paddy McCartin in defence with his brother this could provide a bit more stability down back.

Big questions about Buddy too. Can he have a season like 2021 again where he played most of the season and was one of the best key forwards of the year. I think if he stays fit he can, but in the last few years staying fit has been Buddy's challenge, not his form when he is actually playing. Also if Buddy is still playing mid to late 2022 will he get another contract, something that would have felt insane when we signed him up at the end of 2013. Would love to see him playing and McDonald can learn more while being marked on the oppositions second or third tall defender.

So I am hopeful for the 2022 season with our young guys coming through, but how they develop is a big question mark, as is our tall defensive stocks and Buddy's run with injuries. I am hopeful of another season in the top 8, but with the extreme lack of midfield depth pushing for the top 8 could be in the hands of the footballing gods.

I'm worried about how we're going to keep this brilliant, young, premiership-winning list together.
A lot of our kids will be demanding very nice contracts soon.

It is a nice problem to have but it is also a genuine problem as well. Both Oliver and Petracca would be getting massive offers from other clubs when their contracts are due to expire.

It is a nice problem to have but it is also a genuine problem as well. Both Oliver and Petracca would be getting massive offers from other clubs when their contracts are due to expire.
Think we have those two locked away for a while, but it's not the established stars I'm worried about.

A lot of clubs would have noticed Sparrow, Bowey, Jackson, Rivers etc. this year and they all deserve big pay rises.

Think we have those two locked away for a while, but it's not the established stars I'm worried about.

A lot of clubs would have noticed Sparrow, Bowey, Jackson, Rivers etc. this year and they all deserve big pay rises.

Yes that is true and it has been a problem at the Swans too. You sign the big named players to massive contracts and the smaller named players, who are actually quite important to a teams structure, end up being forced out as they can earn so much more at another club.

You don't even begrudge a player for leaving if your club offers them $400,000 but another club offers them $650,000.

I think gone are the days where flags are the dream to stay at unders in your next contract.

In a pandemic world where there is a lot of uncertainty, a lucrative contract paying overs is foolish to ignore. I dont begrudge players that leave for a bigger pay day tbh.

On the plus side for Melbourne, if you get another flag but lose a couple of quality players you should be able to acquire good draft picks to make any rebuild a mini one in the years to come.

With Dixon, Georgie, Marshall, Finlayson, Lord and a resting ruck; who plays in our 3 KPF positions and who steps up, as we don't have a star

With Ladhams moving on, will Hayes be an improvement to the 22 or will we rely up dixon and finlayson as the resting ruck

Are we too short down back with Aliir our only tall defender

Where does our pace come from in the midfield

We need a lot to click in the off season to peg the gap between us and the likes of the dees and the dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's going to replace Liam Jones, and how will Voss go second time around.

For Essendon:

Are the mid-range role players who stepped up into key roles in 2021 the real deal? Hind, Stewart, Wright, Laverde need to continue improving and not have 2021 as outlier years.

The forward line - Is Wright good enough to be the main man? Can Jones stay fit and build on his 2021? Can Tippa get over his mental demons and recapture his best form?

How do we get the best out of our midfield with some players who have been career midfielders likely having to spend time on the flank/wing.

Overall I’m not too worried. For mine 2022 is hopefully a consolidation year where Jones, Cox, Reid, Perkins and Durham cement themselves as consistent AFL players. Then they’ll be ready to really start driving results in 2023/2024 while Stringer and Shiel are still in their prime.

With Dixon, Georgie, Marshall, Finlayson, Lord and a resting ruck; who plays in our 3 KPF positions and who steps up, as we don't have a star

With Ladhams moving on, will Hayes be an improvement to the 22 or will we rely up dixon and finlayson as the resting ruck

Are we too short down back with Aliir our only tall defender

Where does our pace come from in the midfield

We need a lot to click in the off season to peg the gap between us and the likes of the dees and the dogs

I would getting as many games into Georgiades as possible. I reckon he is going to be elite. He is fairly versatile as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back