What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just discovered these guys...umm, girls. Dara Puspita - all-female Indonesian band from the 60's/early 70's(!).

Did some stuff that was instrumental and garage-y (first clip), some cheesy pop stuff (very awesome third clip), and they sometimes blended the two (middle clip).

Groovy.

A thing I have been listening to is a new podcast "A History of Rock Music in Five Hundred Songs" by Andrew Hickey. Up to episode 8 so far and still in the pre-history of rock. We've had episodes on Benny Goodman, the Ink Spots, Western Swing, and Rosetta Tharpe so far among others. He intends it to be a 10-year project with the scripts compiled into eBooks along the way.

http://500songs.com/. It's totally absorbing. This is me honouring his request to pass it on by word of mouth. Support the Patreon. The Other Dean blackshadow kangatime ferball Sopwiths North muttley45 andana I reckon it might be up your alley.

A thing I have been listening to is a new podcast "A History of Rock Music in Five Hundred Songs" by Andrew Hickey. Up to episode 8 so far and still in the pre-history of rock. We've had episodes on Benny Goodman, the Ink Spots, Western Swing, and Rosetta Tharpe so far among others. He intends it to be a 10-year project with the scripts compiled into eBooks along the way.

http://500songs.com/. It's totally absorbing. This is me honouring his request to pass it on by word of mouth. Support the Patreon. The Other Dean blackshadow kangatime ferball Sopwiths North muttley45 andana I reckon it might be up your alley.

Cheers, man. Will investigate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool, stripped back/laid-back collaboration between The Mountain Goats' John Darnielle and guitarist/solo artist Franklin Bruno, under the name The Extra Glenns (but they have subsequently changed their name to The Extra Lens)....

Before going solo, Franklin used to front the obscure but highly decent band, Nothing Painted Blue....

And of course, Darnielle and his main-gig cohorts doing what they do best with this cheery little ditty (complete with lyrics for maximum joy)....

Bit of a semi-coincidence with a half-twist there, ferbs. Was listening to both Sieg Howdy! (Jello + the Melvins, but close enough) and Herbie's Head Hunters just a few days back. Both decent ol' headtrips in their own ways.

That's the first time I've listened to Herbie Hancock this century actually. I used to live with a guy who was right into all sorts of music but loved Miles Davis and jazz in general. As well as Eno, Henry Kaiser, Beefheart (he adored him), Zappa, Fripp and any number of other incredibly talented musicians from just about every genre of music.

I'm listening to Immortal Technique speaking right now.

Its an hour long but there's some good stuff. (BTW if anyone watches that far this vid was made when the Obomber was "Mr President".)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back