What changes would you like to see in 2024 and beyond?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be fuming as a Freo supporter seeing Jasper Fletcher at Brisbane and Ed Allan at the Pies.
WA & SA expansion clubs got stitched up. There was no split between WAFL / AFL games when they came in late plus a much higher number 150 or 200 games vs 100.

Watching the Blues GWS game today and I think it's way too complex to officiate touches. Either invest in high resolution high frame rate cameras to cover all angles, or get rid of touched off the boot. I saw the cameras they use in Nascar and they're incredible.

I also think F/S rules need to be looked at. Imagine if Adelaide is sitting top of the competition and Riccuitos boys one by one end up at the Crows and are all elite players.
Please don't change it now. Freo will be a chance too in another 10 years with the Pav/Mundy boys so it will finally even out.

Reduce to a final 6, 3 week finals (cut throat finals means better ratings)
Increase season matches

Desentivise tanking by having preseason qualification for the top 16 1v16, 2v15 etc. Highest ranked teams get home games for cup AND any gate takings etc

Automatic ban for repeat bitching about umpiring on Bigfooty :)

Oh and even up the Northern Academies to match the rest of the country. That or get rid of the ability to use later picks to select high ranked players. You want a Pick 5 player, get Pick 5 or he goes elsewhere. You can still have priority, but no collating picks to get the player. It's a farce.
I would like to see if you get 3 threads sent to the divvy van in a fortnight you can't start another one for a month. Repeat offenders get the penalty doubled with each offence and it gets reset if you don't reoffend 6 months after your ban ends

- ruck infringement rules especially around blocking are going the way of Rugby Union: completely incomprehensible

- a team gets a free kick, the ball will spill to one of their team mates. In order to stop the player who gets the free kick from moving fast, the opponent will grapple and tackle the team mate with the ball to stop them giving it to their team. This should be instant 50.

- 50 metre “entering the protected zone”: this should only apply if the person taking the kick is in any way impacted at all. Those random ones where someone runs past, not impacting the play at all need to stop

- I’m with everyone else, get rid of the hitting the post rule. It should be play on if it’s in play, or the relevant score depending on which side of the post it went through.

- bring back COLA

No 1950 starts on a Friday night, not getting home until midnight from the footy when i live in the eastern suburbs is poor.

1925 is perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More frees paid, particularly holding at contests, anything restricting people going for the ball. Free kicks have declined markedly since the 70s & 80s. Pay more holding the balls & in the backs too to keep the ball moving. Aside from behind the play stuff, players get away with a lot more interference these days.

And maybe just something to get rid of a pet hate - the pushing/bumping/elbowing into an opponent at stoppages (before the start of each quarter also). And the pushing an opponent who has just had a free or mark against them, or missed a goal. I can’t stand it. That stuff didn’t used to happen to anywhere near the same extent it is happening in this era. It’s a hard, contact sport but that stuff is just rubbish. You might get chinned for it in the past but there are no consequences now. Maybe it could be included under the ‘permitted contact’ free kick rules where it states then ball has to be within 5 metres before you can bump, push etc, presumably with the ball in motion.

The player that gives away a free kick, be it a push in back, high contact, chopping the arms etc, has to stand the mark.
I have seen instances where a deliberate free kick is given away to slow down the opposition run by a key back for example and they then sprint back down to shore up their defence. If you infringe, you have to stand the mark.

Tighten up the 30 second shot clock allowance to prevent time wasting towards the back end of close games (ie when a player signals they're having a shot with no real intention of doing so, winds down 30 seconds then passes it off for a 2nd player to take another 30 seconds etc).

To combat it I'd make it 1x 30 second shot allowance per chain of possession. If a player takes the 30 seconds and their kick is marked by a teammate (whether they mean to pass it or their shot just falls short), that player gets only the 8 seconds to dispose of it like in regular play before being called to play on.

Then as soon as the ball is touched by the opposition or a stoppage/free kick is awarded, it resets and you're entitled to another 30 second countdown at the applicable time.

Remove the pre-Finals bye, real momentum killer for supporters.
Stupid knee jerk ruling for Betting agencies who were too dumb to think coaches would rest players going into the finals.
If they must have a bye, it should be before The Grand Final, and there should be a state of origin match played between the prelim and granny, similar to Pro bowl. Also, if they must have an everybody else vs Victoria team, the team should just be "Australia" instead of Dream Team or whatever they came up with before.

Last edited:
When the fixture is released in mid November it should only be for rounds 1-17 with all teams playing each other.

Then the following Friday night, televised on TV, as per the FA Cup, rounds 18-23 should be drawn randomly, to bring fairness back to the draw.

Would rate well, be fair and the entire draw done early to allow fans to plan their travel.

No more complaints about the draw.

Just ensure everybody has 11 home games and you can't play the same team in R17 & R18.

Umpires to learn the difference between 10m 15m and 25m. Be consistent with it. A player kicking out should not make it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the 50m mark before bouncing or disposing of the ball.

No needing to nominate and name who is going up in the ruck. Let the professional teams work out who is going up and if a 3rd goes up pay the free then. Stop wasting 3-6 seconds working out who is going up allowing more players into the congestion.

The ball to be fitted with sensors that explode when a player carries it further than the designated distance without bouncing it
There would be a Cripps exception though.
Just pay HTB correctly
Especially late in games. Some teams the umps refuse to ping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back