What do you think are the greatest riffs and hooks of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Couple off the top of my head:

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine
The Beatles - Day Tripper

Geez I could sit here and just rattle off a million. It's my favourite part of music. That half second where you here the hook of a song and recognise instantly what's to follow.
Some of my favourites:

Honky Tonk Women - Stones
Yes it is lifted from T-Rex but Cigarettes and Alcohol - Oasis
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin. No song has ever been more aptly named
Whatever You Want - Status Quo
Whiskey In The Jar - Thin Lizzy (love the Metallica version too)
The Man Who Sold The World - Bowie
Ok technically it's not really a riff just an ultra-agressive power chord sequence, but Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

Legs - ZZ Top
La Grange - ZZ Top
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Misirlou - Dick Dale & His Del-Tones
Night Rider - Dick Dale & His Del-Tones

There are millions more, but it's 1am and I'm too tired to think of them.

Legs - ZZ Top
La Grange - ZZ Top
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Misirlou - Dick Dale & His Del-Tones
Night Rider - Dick Dale & His Del-Tones

There are millions more, but it's 1am and I'm too tired to think of them.

Rich Beato's deconstruction of More Than A Feeling is absolutely amazing, gave me a whole new appreciation for that song

The riff itself is obviously very memorable and one of the first things every guitarist tries to learn. The song itself is soulless and pointless though IMO.

What? Plenty of feeling seeing them opening a show with it live amongst tens of thousands I can tell you...

What? Plenty of feeling seeing them opening a show with it live amongst tens of thousands I can tell you...

Having seen it myself I disagree. I love them and I love most of their songs and their live shows. But I find it a boring song.

And as much as I look beyond lyrics (hell, the Ramones are one of my favourite bands of all time and wrote utter garbage in their words), I need more in a chorus than:

"You've been/
Thunderstruck/
Thunderstru-uck/
Yeah yeah yeah/
Thunderstruck."

It's devoid of melody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich Beato's deconstruction of More Than A Feeling is absolutely amazing, gave me a whole new appreciation for that song
Same here, it's been one of my all time favourite songs for around 40 years and yet there were parts of the song I didn't understand until I listened to his deconstruction. For example there parts which I though were guitars but were actually Brad Delp's unbelievable vocals, how he got his vocals so high is beyond me, must have been wearing the tightest pair of shorts.;)

Same here, it's been one of my all time favourite songs for around 40 years and yet there were parts of the song I didn't understand until I listened to his deconstruction. For example there parts which I though were guitars but were actually Brad Delp's unbelievable vocals, how he got his vocals so high is beyond me, must have been wearing the tightest pair of shorts.;)

Mate I’ve been trying for five years to find a way to cover it and you just cannot do it justice

Mate I’ve been trying for five years to find a way to cover it and you just cannot do it justice
I've heard about half dozen covers and all of them have been absolutely terrible, it's one of those songs that shouldn't be covered, you can't improve on perfection.

Just had to go watch that. Very impressive, I love Beato but that breakdown was a masterpiece of a masterpiece.

absolutely. I’ve never watched a video of his that I didn’t like but that one is at the top of the tree

the most endearing part of it is that despite his skill musically and in production, he is still at heart just a massive rock music fan and his unbridled joy pulling that song apart is amazing to watch

absolutely. I’ve never watched a video of his that I didn’t like but that one is at the top of the tree

the most endearing part of it is that despite his skill musically and in production, he is still at heart just a massive rock music fan and his unbridled joy pulling that song apart is amazing to watch
Yeah agree, I noticed that childlike joy on his face too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back