What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope you are wrong not just for Doedee, but for us, as I believe Tom has another 3 years and reportedly on pretty decent coin
Hopefully the club take a very long-term view with his comeback date this time.
I was not in the get Doedee camp around trade time.
I thought it was a big risk signing a player on good money on a 4-year contract with 2 ACL surgeries.
At least it did not cost us any trade capital as Adelaide did not match our bid.
They accepted the AFL compensation being end of first round.
He was a very good defender for the Crows, but it was a huge gamble by the Lions.
You win some you lose some i suppose. Fev anyone.

Reminds me of 2005 haha, we started 1-4 that year and looked pretty burnt out tipping a similar year where we get our act together a little bit but fall away towards the end again and miss finals. Hey even the Carlton game gives me nostalgia of the 2005 Sydney game at the Gabba we lost after the siren

Reminds me of 2005 haha, we started 1-4 that year and looked pretty burnt out tipping a similar year where we get our act together a little bit but fall away towards the end again and miss finals. Hey even the Carlton game gives me nostalgia of the 2005 Sydney game at the Gabba we lost after the siren
I just hope if this does happen, it doesn’t take us the best part of 15 years to be a competent football team again.

I just hope if this does happen, it doesn’t take us the best part of 15 years to be a competent football team again.
Nah we’ve got a good core group of young players and a good quality experience of players around the 30-31 mark. We can still do it in 2025. We just need a good game plan and some more ideas in the coaches box

I’d say we’re in a very precarious position in terms of whether we push for something now which could mean we go back to that 05-18 phase or re-set and hopefully get that premiership this group I suspect won’t be able to.

No way we need to do a significant rebuild, we have a great crop of young and mid career guys and not many at all in the over 30 brigade among our best 25-30 players... looking only at those 25-30 players >

18-24 > Will Ashcroft, Jaspa Fletcher, Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, Dev Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Cam Rayner, Jack Payne, Zac Bailey, Noah Answerth, Brandon Starcevich.

25- 28 > Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Callum Ah Chee, Eric Hipwood, Josh Dunkley, Harris Andrews, Tom Doedee, Conor McKenna, Darcy Gardiner.

29+ > Oscar McInerney(29), Charlie Cameron(29), Joe Daniher(30), Linc McCarthy(30), Lachie Neale(31 in a few weeks), Ryan Lester(31), Dayne Zorko(35).

IMO among the 29+ years of age the ones we need to look at trade ins to "replace" soon/eventually are Charlie, Joe and Lachie.... the others are eminently replaceable, even then those vital 3 are a fair chance of playing for another 2-3 seasons.

Would love a mark clunking/crashing packs KPF(Logan Morris?), a fast as lightning small fwd/winger(Frank Szekely?) and a big contest midfield beast(???).

To continue to enjoy the Ryan Lester Renaissance. Or the Rynaissance as many people across the world call it.

Not convinced of that.

I'm tipping a really hot effort by us this week.

If we lose this we're getting out of touch with the 8.

I'll be very surprised if we don't win but I've already said that 4 times this year and we've won 2 of them.

I hope you're right. I see one hungry team with a chip on its shoulder and one not so hungry team that appears to have put the queue in the rack for the season already.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The speed of the game has gone past us, and we don't have the personal on the list to play the new game style.
I'm not so sure about this. Yes, having speedy players can do the job, but you can also make the ball do the work. Right now we aren't doing either.

Cannot abide with people calling our beloved athletes disgusting/lazy ... As seen on X.

So, I have a text book called foundations of sport and exercise psychology which has an entire chapter on burnout and overtraining.

It states that by far the most frequent factor (>50%) of burnout is due to psychological concerns. Such as unfulfilled (Grand final anyone?) or inappropriate expectations. Emphasis on ranking. Lack of enjoyment characterized by coach and external pressure.

I never got an athlete to international level, but I did the courses and was lucky to listen to many of them talk about their experiences.

Athletes typically take three months off after world titles. By off - they stay active and fit but they spend three months away from the sport to prevent burn out. After the Olympics with it's insane pressure they can and do take longer.

Finals shortens that break, and has done for five years.

During the break our guys continue to hang out together, go on holidays together, live together and they don't get that total break. And it's been the same year after year. Except for Joe and those with kids maybe.

They are not refreshing.

They are burnt out.

They are not lazy, they do want to do better, they want to focus for four quarters but they simply can't.

Abusing them won't help.

They need father fagan back to help them find the love and fun in playing and only then we will see performance improve.

And yes, that will help their kicking accuracy.
I think playing a more up-tempo, positive and attacking style of game, one the players are more likely to enjoy, might also help.

But also if you are correct, they may already be beyond the point where that would provide any significant benefit. Hard to say one way or the other from outside the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Kiddy's replacement to announce himself by second half of 2024. Brain, Fletcher or whoever it is - take on the designated kicking role and show us what you've got. Go for your kicks without fear of mistakes, job is yours for this season.

I also want Fagan to tinker and unveil a new game plan. He built the 3 tall game plan with repeat forward entries and locking it in, which was successful for last 4-5 years. He can surely mimick what is successful right now in GWS, Sydney, Geelong, Carlton model and come up with his own. It's a bit like F1, all cars will go through mods once season starts and try to play catch up to the front runner for the year. By mid-season multiple cars will have bits n pieces resembling the front runner, whether it's side pods, front wing, rear wing etc. There is no shame in doing the same in AFL, game plan wise. We may not have the exact like for like players, but try and build something in 2024 which can be perfected in 2025.

I want Kiddy's replacement to announce himself by second half of 2024. Brain, Fletcher or whoever it is - take on the designated kicking role and show us what you've got. Go for your kicks without fear of mistakes, job is yours for this season.

I also want Fagan to tinker and unveil a new game plan. He built the 3 tall game plan with repeat forward entries and locking it in, which was successful for last 4-5 years. He can surely mimick what is successful right now in GWS, Sydney, Geelong, Carlton model and come up with his own. It's a bit like F1, all cars will go through mods once season starts and try to play catch up to the front runner for the year. By mid-season multiple cars will have bits n pieces resembling the front runner, whether it's side pods, front wing, rear wing etc. There is no shame in doing the same in AFL, game plan wise. We may not have the exact like for like players, but try and build something in 2024 which can be perfected in 2025.
Unfortunately we are an 80s Holden Camira and the Giants are an F1 McLaren.

Unfortunately we are an 80s Holden Camira and the Giants are an F1 McLaren.

Haha, it's not that dire to be honest. Its like that saying "things are never as good or as bad as its perceived". We have a 2 time brownlow medallist in the middle along with some strong talent in their prime age - Dunkley, McCluggage, Bailey etc. We have a good pipeline too - Ashcroft brothers, Fletcher and so on. Our defense and spine are pretty good and at a minimum finals worthy.

We just need a change in attitude and drop the "woe is me" mindset. Sure we came in ready to start at grand final again and wanting to skip the home n away season. Well we are where we are now and the players as well as the coach can decide what they want to salvage out of it.

This is a mature squad, should be able to embrace and adapt a new game plan however difficult it may be. If we latch on to something new, we will be pretty scary to play against in the second half of this season.

I don't fear a single team from ladder leader Geelong to the very bottom if we come back with the right mindset. We are a very strong offensive team with AA worthy talent in every line, unfortunately the team seems to have forgotten this bit.

Last edited:
I want an undefeated May in 2024.

May 5 v Suns(H) W
May 12 v Crows(A) W
May 18 v Tigers(H) W
May 26 v Hawks(A) W

Win all 4 we go into the bye with a 6-5 W/L record and all is not so gloomy and we can refresh for the race to the finals:brisbane:

I want an undefeated May in 2024.

May 5 v Suns(H) W
May 12 v Crows(A) W
May 18 v Tigers(H) W
May 26 v Hawks(A) W

Win all 4 we go into the bye with a 6-5 W/L record and all is not so gloomy and we can refresh for the race to the finals:brisbane:

I like the dynamic we are in.

First 4 days after these crippling losses is:
We’re never going to win a game again
Rebuild
Trade players for picks
Sack the coach

Then as we get into the week:
We may never lose another game
If we can just win the next 11 in a row we should make finals.

I like the dynamic we are in.

First 4 days after these crippling losses is:
We’re never going to win a game again
Rebuild
Trade players for picks
Sack the coach

Then as we get into the week:
We may never lose another game
If we can just win the next 11 in a row we should make finals.

Spoken like a man who's been Fatwa'd. Enjoying the little things!

Spoken like a man who's been Fatwa'd. Enjoying the little things!

I’ve not got much time left, I must think positively about my circumstances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back