Roast What does this club stand for?

Remove this Banner Ad

We will get a significant answer (but not all of it) to this thread question today.

We served up absolute garbage last week, this week we will probably play like a top 4 side and win then do the same next week. Followed by losing to Carlton.

Based on my quotes, it's clear that the club believed in the hype.

I don't think they know what working for success really means. They think talent alone gets you there.
Who holds them accountable anyway?

It's a mismanagement of talent based on a culture of coasting and mediocrity. Players like Walla, Fantasia and Merrett rarely had bad games because they worked hard to make it. They were all outsiders. We hardly see the desperation we were used to seeing every week because they've "made it". Why earn your money when you're given it? Leadership goes beyond the leadership group.

We continuously sweep mediocre performances (win or lose) against bottom sides under the carpet because of our stellar wins against the top sides. Always some excuse attached to it. "It's JLT" or "it's just round 2" or "it's the loss we had to have". This actually further increases the delusion that we can get away with it. We brush 3-4 goal wins against wooden spooners (if we even win) because "it's better than losing". As if percentage isn't a factor.

This club is truly stuffed at the moment.
Ill have a crack at what could be used for a charter

1) Reward mediocrity. Get to 50 games and we'll let you coast to 250 if your body stands up.
2) Getting to 50 will be made hard. You will be dropped. Even when you're good and those with far more games are bad. You will be dropped
3) the plan is: Hire new coach. Make finals. Lose badly. Repeat every 3-4 years.
4) Effort is optional. In fact, it's preferable if you left it at home.
5) Lose to the worst sides in the comp at least once a year
6) Spin it all positive. Im sure people will buy it
7) Keep signing up suckers...i mean members. the more we have, the more successful a club we are....yeah?
Literally didn't need to see the season play out.

I'm already starting to get nervous about delayed preseasons. I reckon Hurley, Heppell and Fantasia won't be match fit until at least round 9. Then they can't finish the year because they didn't have a full preseason. Meaning 2021 is Essendon's year.

Literally didn't need to see the season play out.

I'm already starting to get nervous about delayed preseasons. I reckon Hurley, Heppell and Fantasia won't be match fit until at least round 9. Then they can't finish the year because they didn't have a full preseason. Meaning 2021 is Essendon's year.
I’d say that was a pretty decent prediction if it wasn’t so inevitable

It depends on the injury - Obviously leg injuries will delay running but other injuries will have minimal impact on running - When clubs state 'return to full-training that means doing close to 100% full activities.

Yaco pls

Maybe Ben Rutten can find our identity as Whoosha has no idea, who we are and what we stand for. Another year passes and back to square one. I hope this club can turn the corner it really starts by cutting the dead wood.

Taken from Lloyd on radio today.

The Bombers scraped into this year’s finals series but were thumped by the West Coast Eagles in their elimination final, stretching their streak of years without a finals win to 15.

While Essendon appears healthy off the field with a strong supporter base, Lloyd admitted he’d become “frustrated” at how the team played.

Speaking on AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday morning, Lloyd, who kicked 926 goals for the club, said the time had come for the Bombers to turn the tables.

“They are doing extremely well off-field, the Bombers, (but) it’s now time. I’ve had enough, it’s time,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio.

“They’re doing all these great, wonderful things off-field. But I want to see something happen on-field — and that is play some good, hard, tough finals and play a sustainable brand of football that stacks up.

“You can make as much money off-field as you want … But the Bombers faithful haven’t seen a winning final in 15 years.”

Lloyd consistently made strong comments about the Bombers throughout 2019, particularly around coach John Worsfold.

The Bombers premiership player in May said Worsfold was under “enormous pressure” to keep his job, urging the club to look at other coaching options to see if someone else can extract more out of the list.

Lloyd also criticised Bombers fitness coach Justin Crow — who departed in recent months — while in August he said he’d be disappointed if Joe Daniher was traded to another club — a strong possibility as we approach the 2019 trade period. Later in the month, he described Essendon’s 104-point loss to the Western Bulldogs as “one of the worst performances in the history of the club.

Lloyd, who retired after the 2009 season, admitted he’d become more invested in the Bombers the longer he’d spent away from the Bombers.

He revealed he’d also had conversations with club chief executive Xavier Campbell, who’d pulled Lloyd up on some crucial comments.

“When I first retired, I was neutral … but as your kids get passionate about the club and the longer you get out of it, suddenly your love for the club comes back. That’s where I’m at with the Bombers and I’ve become frustrated,” he said.

“I’ve probably upset a few people from the Bombers with how I’ve been quite forthright with them. I’ve had a conversation with Xavier Campbell, I’m happy to say, who said ‘maybe you’ve been too emotional at times’. I said ‘no it’s not about emotions, Xavier, it’s about the Bombers, I think, have under achieved with the list they’ve got and I find it very predictable the way the Bombers lose’.

“That’s why I’ve been strong on John Worsfold, because I felt the way they play is never goanna stack up in finals.”

Lloyd lamented the Bombers’ performance against West Coast in the elimination final, where they conceded six goals in the first quarter.

“Essendon played the first final, conceded 6.4. The next final was Geelong and Collingwood and Geelong kept Collingwood to seven goals for the match. That’s what real finals footy is. It’s tough, it’s uncompromising — and Essendon are charging off half-back and concede 6.4,” he said.

“So that’s been a frustration of mine for a long time — that they can look good on their day, but I’s never ever goanna stack up come finals time.”

Taken from Lloyd on radio today.

The Bombers scraped into this year’s finals series but were thumped by the West Coast Eagles in their elimination final, stretching their streak of years without a finals win to 15.

While Essendon appears healthy off the field with a strong supporter base, Lloyd admitted he’d become “frustrated” at how the team played.

Speaking on AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday morning, Lloyd, who kicked 926 goals for the club, said the time had come for the Bombers to turn the tables.

“They are doing extremely well off-field, the Bombers, (but) it’s now time. I’ve had enough, it’s time,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio.

“They’re doing all these great, wonderful things off-field. But I want to see something happen on-field — and that is play some good, hard, tough finals and play a sustainable brand of football that stacks up.

“You can make as much money off-field as you want … But the Bombers faithful haven’t seen a winning final in 15 years.”

Lloyd consistently made strong comments about the Bombers throughout 2019, particularly around coach John Worsfold.

The Bombers premiership player in May said Worsfold was under “enormous pressure” to keep his job, urging the club to look at other coaching options to see if someone else can extract more out of the list.

Lloyd also criticised Bombers fitness coach Justin Crow — who departed in recent months — while in August he said he’d be disappointed if Joe Daniher was traded to another club — a strong possibility as we approach the 2019 trade period. Later in the month, he described Essendon’s 104-point loss to the Western Bulldogs as “one of the worst performances in the history of the club.

Lloyd, who retired after the 2009 season, admitted he’d become more invested in the Bombers the longer he’d spent away from the Bombers.

He revealed he’d also had conversations with club chief executive Xavier Campbell, who’d pulled Lloyd up on some crucial comments.

“When I first retired, I was neutral … but as your kids get passionate about the club and the longer you get out of it, suddenly your love for the club comes back. That’s where I’m at with the Bombers and I’ve become frustrated,” he said.

“I’ve probably upset a few people from the Bombers with how I’ve been quite forthright with them. I’ve had a conversation with Xavier Campbell, I’m happy to say, who said ‘maybe you’ve been too emotional at times’. I said ‘no it’s not about emotions, Xavier, it’s about the Bombers, I think, have under achieved with the list they’ve got and I find it very predictable the way the Bombers lose’.

“That’s why I’ve been strong on John Worsfold, because I felt the way they play is never goanna stack up in finals.”

Lloyd lamented the Bombers’ performance against West Coast in the elimination final, where they conceded six goals in the first quarter.

“Essendon played the first final, conceded 6.4. The next final was Geelong and Collingwood and Geelong kept Collingwood to seven goals for the match. That’s what real finals footy is. It’s tough, it’s uncompromising — and Essendon are charging off half-back and concede 6.4,” he said.

“So that’s been a frustration of mine for a long time — that they can look good on their day, but I’s never ever goanna stack up come finals time.”
Agreed. Caracella and Rutten can hopefully implement a brand that stands up in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard not to love Lloyd. Saying exactly what many supporters think. It’s good to have such a public voice who clearly loves the club, but is disconnected enough to offer dispassionate views and tell it like it is.

Our brand of football will not win a flag.

Glad to hear it’s ruffled the feathers of Campbell at times, means he’s listening.

‘No, it’s not about emotions, Xavier, it’s about the Bombers, I think, have under achieved with the list they’ve got and I find it very predictable the way the Bombers lose’.

Not sure how anybody could disagree.

Hard not to love Lloyd. Saying exactly what many supporters think. It’s good to have such a public voice who clearly loves the club, but is disconnected enough to offer dispassionate views and tell it like it is.

Our brand of football will not win a flag.

Glad to hear it’s ruffled the feathers of Campbell at times, means he’s listening.

‘No, it’s not about emotions, Xavier, it’s about the Bombers, I think, have under achieved with the list they’ve got and I find it very predictable the way the Bombers lose’.

Not sure how anybody could disagree.
He clearly still loves the club and just wants to see it successful again. He used to love coaching Joe as well on goal kicking technique. Would've liked to have seen that continue.

He clearly still loves the club and just wants to see it successful again. He used to love coaching Joe as well on goal kicking technique. Would've liked to have seen that continue.

He quit because he didn’t think he could hold a position at a club (however casual) and also be an unbiased commentator.

I suspect he’s the first person in the history of footy media to take this view.

What's the point of Lloyd's comments? Worsfold's essentially been sacked, Rutten will take on more responsibility, and the club has brought in Blake Caracella. Changes have already been made so why's he bringing it up?

What's the point of Lloyd's comments? Worsfold's essentially been sacked, Rutten will take on more responsibility, and the club has brought in Blake Caracella. Changes have already been made so why's he bringing it up?
I haven't been listening to it but given it's quoting from trade radio I'm guessing they probably had a lot of time to fill with waffle and he was asked some questions about the club as a former player/club legend. This was probably the result

I haven't been listening to it but given it's quoting from trade radio I'm guessing they probably had a lot of time to fill with waffle and he was asked some questions about the club as a former player/club legend. This was probably the result
He actually tried to change the subject, but Damo of course pushed him back to the subject.

who is Essington and what do they stand for?

• Essington is a team who has had a culture of mediocrity since 2003 - since then we have only managed top scrape into the finals 5 times in 16 years - when I say scrape its fall into 7th or 8th position only to be bundled straight - usually trashed - in the first final
  • To try and overcome this the club has taken shortcuts and administered drugs to its players
  • Many players and favorite suns involved in the club (Bomber Thompson & James Hird) are now shells of their formal selves
  • Mismanagement of our better players - Jobe losing a brownlow, now Joe Daniher about to walk out of the club
  • Moving to a facility in the middle of nowhere and pissing of its members because of a ******* bowling club....
  • No idea what do we stand for - we have had a culture of mediocrity since 2003, and identity crisis if you will, and there is no clear end to this in sight
  • Oh how this mighty club has fallen :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back