What has happened since the GF. Why? And what is Simo going to do about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

The rule changes only really benefit forwards straight out of the centre bounce. If you aren’t getting it clean out of the centre then it’s much of the same as years gone by and given our mids suck this year, it makes sense that we haven’t been capitalising on the new rules like we thought we would.
That doesnt impact marking interference or holding frees.

If you look at the top 6 on the ladder we have player all of them and won 3 .
No other team in the top 8 have played more in form teams.

Hopefully we bank some easy games before the bye and hit our straps in the latter part of the season.

I just hope our % doesnt come back to bite us
Yes it's the percentage that I'm starting to worry about as if it ends up being close at seasons end like in 2017 (?) when a heap of teams ended up on the same points with only percentage separating the top 10 (?) then we could miss out on making the top 8, or even missing out on making the top 4 due to our inferior percentage. Just hope they can get their **** together soon.

our players just don't look hungry anymore, not sure if there's really anything simmo can do about it

Pick players who are.

Last season we played and debuted youth as flankers who added speed. This year we are backing kids who are talls and they take a while to deliver.

Rotham looked very good............and was dropped for Jetta returning.

Our defense has been under serious pressure this season and the forward half starved of ball. Need to fix one area o the ground.

Unfortunately it is going to take injuries to give other kids games as it looks like Simo wont drop older players out of form. I hope we beat the Saints but i we play poorly again maybe that will trigger changes. It was good to see Simo pissed of when we just hit a 39 point lead, something set him of.

It's a perfect storm of the following three factors:
  • A premiership hangover (tough to avoid, a lot of guys can cross a flag off the career bucket list)
  • Teams would have spent the off-season adapting to our game plan and adding a new level of physicality (which is where we are beaten the most IMO)
  • Tough opening schedule (which I know shouldn't be a factor if we're good enough but most of our matches barring GC were Top 8 teams)
Wouldn't say it's panic stations yet, I'm still confident in the team's ability to make finals so as long as West Coast develop their consistency and get their mojo back over the course of the next 2-3 months in time for September, we should be fine. Getting Rioli and Nic Nat back will be huge bonuses if they can stay healthy. The other major factors are Gaff and Redden, who if they can improve their disposal efficiency (not just getting the ball to a player, but looking ahead of the play), things should get back on track.

Defence is working well, obviously having Barrass out hurts but you can't avoid that. Forward line is working okay, they just need better delivery which comes down to the aforementioned midfield disposal efficiency.

All the pieces are there to go back-to-back, it's just a case of tweaking the minor things that are the difference between winning and losing because it's a fine margin.

We have McGovern and Schofield in the side, plus regular third talls in Hurn and Sheppard.

Why did I keep seeing Oscar Allen in defence after seeing Jarrod Brander last week?

If we want to play Allen at FB while Barrass is out then play him there, but having an extra tall forward in the side (or two) and playing them back throws out the balance of the 22.

It's a perfect storm of the following three factors:
  • A premiership hangover (tough to avoid, a lot of guys can cross a flag off the career bucket list)
  • Teams would have spent the off-season adapting to our game plan and adding a new level of physicality (which is where we are beaten the most IMO)
  • Tough opening schedule (which I know shouldn't be a factor if we're good enough but most of our matches barring GC were Top 8 teams)
Wouldn't say it's panic stations yet, I'm still confident in the team's ability to make finals so as long as West Coast develop their consistency and get their mojo back over the course of the next 2-3 months in time for September, we should be fine. Getting Rioli and Nic Nat back will be huge bonuses if they can stay healthy. The other major factors are Gaff and Redden, who if they can improve their disposal efficiency (not just getting the ball to a player, but looking ahead of the play), things should get back on track.

Defence is working well, obviously having Barrass out hurts but you can't avoid that. Forward line is working okay, they just need better delivery which comes down to the aforementioned midfield disposal efficiency.

All the pieces are there to go back-to-back, it's just a case of tweaking the minor things that are the difference between winning and losing because it's a fine margin.
Agree entirely.

Add in our interrupted preseason of very key players - Yeo, Shuey, Kennedy, Cripps it’s no surprise to me at least that we are mid table right now.

I will wait until mid year before really suggesting a hangover. Every side has had weeks where they have been off intensity wise, and they’ve gotten rolled. You can’t be 5% off against anyone; given about half of our best 22 has either had an interrupted preseason or had some injury, we are fighting behind the eight ball to be up and about each week.

I do think we got slightly ahead of ourselves after the Collingwood game. We aren’t 5 goals better than the comp like I think a few thought. You have to put in effort each and every week. The sooner we get ourselves out of that mindset the better.

We have McGovern and Schofield in the side, plus regular third talls in Hurn and Sheppard.

Why did I keep seeing Oscar Allen in defence after seeing Jarrod Brander last week?

If we want to play Allen at FB while Barrass is out then play him there, but having an extra tall forward in the side (or two) and playing them back throws out the balance of the 22.
Agree. Schofield needs to go and Allen to FB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5th through 10th are level on 4 wins. 2nd through 4th are on 5, 1st is on 6.

We are 10th playing 8th.
5th hosts 9th.
6th hosts 7th.

Our current ladder position isn't life or death, it's a log jam and 3 of the teams on 4 wins have to lose this week unless there is a drawn game.

The biggest issue right now is that we are 7 games in and have put together one convincing performance vs Collingwood. We were good against GWS after the first quarter or so (they didn't capitalise) and just did enough to splutter over the line against Freo and Gold Coast. Last year we lost one game by 5 goals or more for the season. We've lost 3 by 7 goals or more already. We're playing poorly and all the ladder predictor machinations in the world don't mean much if that isn't arrested.

Barrass, Rioli and Nicnat are horrific outs. Glaring holes where they should be. Hate to say it but our whole season depends on Natinui coming back with two artificial ACLs and kick starting us. He set up our season last year and the way we are playing he'll need to again.

Last edited:
Barrass and Rioli are big ins. Unfortunately with foot problems I reckon they will be down on fitness for a prolonged period.

I'm not expecting much from Naita. Anything from him at this stage is a bonus and I don't know if I will be able to watch him contest for the ball without covering my eyes. Another knee would be devastating :(

Agree Allen. Shep is tiny and plays brilliantly but we can not consider him a tall in any way

We will get flogged this weekend against the Saints, 1 quarter of good footy seems to be all we can produce.
We don't look fit enough to give a four quarter performance. Reckon lack of preseason for some is weighing us down, seems to be mainly the mids that are well down and fwds can't get the supply.
Think Rioli's magic is missed too.
Going on Saturday, but no looking fwd too it

Lecras' wrist is so stuffed he couldn't even play local footy with his brother this year. No way he could play AFL.

I reckon the elephant in the room of this discussion is...Mark Lecras left!
There I've said it. Goals aside, what he did around the forward and centre was very underrated.
Should've gone another season for B2B.
Lecca had a good football brain which we miss and in his unobtrusive way was coaching the younger ones and with him out there gave them confidence. When Lecca gets sick of fishing, maybe he may give consideration to coming on board in a coaching role??

We don't look fit enough to give a four quarter performance. Reckon lack of preseason for some is weighing us down, seems to be mainly the mids that are well down and fwds can't get the supply.
Think Rioli's magic is missed too.
Going on Saturday, but no looking fwd too it
I just want the team to turn up and reproduce the form like when they played the Pies! If they could play like that then then why since have they been MIA? It's mind boggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back