What I can't understand...

Remove this Banner Ad

Crunchbone

Debutant
Oct 4, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Granted, we didn't play very well tonight and certainly didn't take our opportunities to win the game when they were there to be taken. Very disappointing, without doubt...but, we now have to move on to another very important game on Sunday week.
However, when flicking stations driving home from the game tonight, I heard commentators on all of SEN, 3AW and ABC intimate that Hawthorn are a now big shot for the Top 4 - whilst we're not that likely now. Fair enough, if we keep losing we're probably not that likely.
BUT - and I'm no mathemagician... but, I'm pretty sure both the Doggies and the Hawks are on the same number of points (32) having played the same number of games (14). I'm also very certain that the Bulldogs have a good game or so on the Hawks as far as percentage goes (127 to 103).
So... how does all of this translate into the Hawks being a good show for the top 4... and the Bulldogs supposedly don't have the same chance?! I know momentum in winning games accounts for something...but, we lost by less than a kick for crying out loud. Most of the loses we have had this year have been by less than two kicks!
Maybe I need to have a drink to get my head around how that supposedly works...?!

Granted, we didn't play very well tonight and certainly didn't take our opportunities to win the game when they were there to be taken. Very disappointing, without doubt...but, we now have to move on to another very important game on Sunday week.
However, when flicking stations driving home from the game tonight, I heard commentators on all of SEN, 3AW and ABC intimate that Hawthorn are a now big shot for the Top 4 - whilst we're not that likely now. Fair enough, if we keep losing we're probably not that likely.
BUT - and I'm no mathemagician... but, I'm pretty sure both the Doggies and the Hawks are on the same number of points (32) having played the same number of games (14). I'm also very certain that the Bulldogs have a good game or so on the Hawks as far as percentage goes (127 to 103).
So... how does all of this translate into the Hawks being a good show for the top 4... and the Bulldogs supposedly don't have the same chance?! I know momentum in winning games accounts for something...but, we lost by less than a kick for crying out loud. Most of the loses we have had this year have been by less than two kicks!
Maybe I need to have a drink to get my head around how that supposedly works...?!

People are idiots. The Dogs wouldn't have been a good show for the Top 4 even if we'd won. And the Hawks are no chance. Unless they turn 7 in a row into 15 in a row.

People are idiots. The Dogs wouldn't have been a good show for the Top 4 even if we'd won. And the Hawks are no chance. Unless they turn 7 in a row into 15 in a row.

this...

Top 4 isn't everything. There is no unwritten rule that says you have to finish top 4 to win the flag. I rate from and momentum just as highly, especially in such an even competition this year.

It doesn't work, it just shows what knobs are on the radio, if anyone has a better chance for top 4 it is Freo, us then Hawks. We should have put the hawks away early in the last qtr but once again failed to take our chances.

Freos remaining games are the key

PORT ADELAIDE
RICHMOND
MELBOURNE
WESTERN BULLDOGS
WEST COAST EAGLES
NORTH MELBOURNE
SYDNEY SWANS
HAWTHORN
CARLTON

You have a chance for an eight point game and Hawthorn will beat them at Aurora so there is a small window.

Dont depend on us to open up any windows:eek:

It's totally out of our hands now. Basically Freo have to stuff up.

They've got to lose to us and another one against a team they're expected to beat. This weekend against Port would be a good start, but I think there's more chance of hell freezing over.

All these clowns saying this about the Hawks were probably the ones saying their season is over in Round 6 or 7. Most of the media just jump on a wave and ride it. Rarely do any have a decent opinion of their own or the balls to make any out there predictions.

I think what the media is quite rightly referring to is that we have not beaten a top 4 aspirant. We have lost twice to the Pies, last time by 10 points; lost to the Saints 4 points, beaten Sydney when they were in the top 4, but they were on the slide. Lost to Essendon when they were in the 8. Basically, we are not very convincing, and now being beaten by Hawthorn who is charging home, we have Freo on the rebound from playing in Darwin, which is a tough ask, and are yet to play Geelong. I am not optimistic about our chances for a top 4 spot now.:(

I do not care about this season any more.

We just aren't good enough.

I fair dinkum want to just rage and rage and rage at them so badly that I die from the outburst.

The words at my funeral will last forever "Leon died yelling at the one thing he loved the most in his life"

Geelong will win it this year, Freo will win it next year, the ****ing Gold Coast and West Sydney will win the next six between them and we'll forever be stuck watching generation after generation **** up chance after chance to make some history for this club.

We give them our unconditional love and support year after year and they just keep screwing up and crushing our spirits.

How the hell can you blame people that feel like turning away from the club? I've missed 8 Melbourne games since 1983 and will again be there next week for the annual piss poor showing against Carlton.

I honestly feel like crying tonight, and they are not the tears of heartbreak, they are the tears of realisation. The realisatino that we're not good enough and never will be.

I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to lash out. I ****ing hate everything and everyone.

FFS. If there are any players out there actually reading this - DO YOU ACTUALLY REALISE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO ME AND THE REST OF THE SUPPORTERS?????????

Honestly, commit me to a freaking mental institution and a padded room where I can put myself in a foetal position in the corner, rock back and forwards and have loving doctors asnd shrinks soothe me, comfort me and reassure me and say "It's ok. The Bulldogs can't hurt you in here" in much the same way that my mother used to assure me that the boogie man couldn't hurt me when I was five years old and I used have nightmares.

AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I fair dinkum want to just rage and rage and rage at them so badly that I die from the outburst.

The words at my funeral will last forever "Leon died yelling at the one thing he loved the most in his life"

Geelong will win it this year, Freo will win it next year, the ****ing Gold Coast and West Sydney will win the next six between them and we'll forever be stuck watching generation after generation **** up chance after chance to make some history for this club.

We give them our unconditional love and support year after year and they just keep screwing up and crushing our spirits.

How the hell can you blame people that feel like turning away from the club? I've missed 8 Melbourne games since 1983 and will again be there next week for the annual piss poor showing against Carlton.

I honestly feel like crying tonight, and they are not the tears of heartbreak, they are the tears of realisation. The realisatino that we're not good enough and never will be.

I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to lash out. I ****ing hate everything and everyone.

FFS. If there are any players out there actually reading this - DO YOU ACTUALLY REALISE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO ME AND THE REST OF THE SUPPORTERS?????????

Honestly, commit me to a freaking mental institution and a padded room where I can put myself in a foetal position in the corner, rock back and forwards and have loving doctors asnd shrinks soothe me, comfort me and reassure me and say "It's ok. The Bulldogs can't hurt you in here" in much the same way that my mother used to assure me that the boogie man couldn't hurt me when I was five years old and I used have nightmares.

AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:[/quote}]

Leon, we all feel the same way, not much we can do but pick ourselves up and go and support them next week.:(

I think what the media is quite rightly referring to is that we have not beaten a top 4 aspirant. We have lost twice to the Pies, last time by 10 points; lost to the Saints 4 points, beaten Sydney when they were in the top 4, but they were on the slide. Lost to Essendon when they were in the 8. Basically, we are not very convincing, and now being beaten by Hawthorn who is charging home, we have Freo on the rebound from playing in Darwin, which is a tough ask, and are yet to play Geelong. I am not optimistic about our chances for a top 4 spot now.:(

I think that was the point of the OP as either have the hawks, lost to both geelong and collingwood and 1 & 1 against us still to play geelong again, collingwood again, saints, freo, and syd in syd and have a poor percentage, they are no chance for top4.

Leon, like all other doggies supporters I feel your pain tonight, and the fact that the mirage of finishing top four might have evaporated makes tonight a bitter loss.

I wouldn't write off the season just yet though. We will still play finals, and who knows what can happen. The way I look at it is that 20 years we were almost extinct as a club, 8 years ago we were finishing on the bottom, recruiting badly and paying 92% of the salary cap with doubts on our viability. Now we are regular finalists and with heaps of young talent, so I just enjoy the ride. Would be nice to finish top four but if not, the sun will still come up tomorrow :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spare a thought for poor Sam Reid. Popped both shoulders last night and will have to have surgery on at-least one maybe both. There is always some one worse off.

haha!!

Matty Lloyd is a goose. According to him we are now 10 points behind Fremantle and 3 games behind the Pies. :eek:

I feel the same today as I did after the loss to West Coast at Etihad last year......the season is on the brink of collapse, but the sun came up this morning and September is still 2 months away, so a lot can happen between now and then.

1. Why did we not kick over the zone? from the number of crumbing goals scored you'd think it's obvious that was the way the game was played last night, instead we kicked to 5 on 2 constests

2. Nevertheless, we dominated the start of the last quarter and kicked 4 points so that was a big hole we dug ourselves into. But that's not even hit, we were an excellent chance to take the lead near the end and Higgins/Grant? (can't remember) still stuffed up a simple handpass. I don't understand why we always shoot ourselves in the foot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back