what is Australia's ideal population?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, 1.5m should be our largest cities and most should be 100,000 or less.

Melbourne is too big now.
20 years ago was still ok to drive on roads without feeling like they are clogged.
If you went to Sydney then and drove you noticed how ****ed it was there, some of it because of the problem of getting over bridges for the harbour.
Now we are almost as bad as Sydney.
Brisbane is pretty bad too but more so because of s**t design and signage.

Adelaide and Perth must feel like heaven to drive in.

20 years ago was still ok to drive on roads without feeling like they are clogged.
If you went to Sydney then and drove you noticed how ****** it was there, some of it because of the problem of getting over bridges for the harbour.

Adelaide has small roads though really. South Road which is a main arterial road is 2 lanes each way for a lot of it. Similar with Marion Road and Goodwood Road. The North has better roads in most of the way but also has 2 lane roads once you get past Grand Junction/Regency Rd. The best roads are Anzac Hwy and Port Rd which are 3-4 lanes.

Personally, I think we've done something wrong when a city of 1 million+ can be considered 'boring'. That dwarfs all the pre-industrial cities of Europe, and yet each region had enough going on in their major centre to be considered interesting.

Personally, I think we've done something wrong when a city of 1 million+ can be considered 'boring'. That dwarfs all the pre-industrial cities of Europe, and yet each region had enough going on in their major centre to be considered interesting.
Because we're not historical like Europe. No Australian city is.

A big Australia is really only beneficial to the economy, I really can't see any benefits to the environment or well being/lifestyle in having more people.

I'm astounded Melbourne remains the most liveable city in the world, surely it'll drop in the next decade or so with booming population, soaring house prices and to put it kindly, sh*t traffic management/public transport.

Dumping 1200 a week in keeps the house prices up. and business ticking over especially sales,doesnt do much else to benefit the people though.
The people smugglers dont use boats anymore its selling businesses
The so called "economic refugees" on Manus Island didnt have enough money to buy a business and a plane ticket and become "acceptable" economic refugees.
Buy a crap business lose money or make money for the time limit get your papers stamped and sell to the next "economic" refugee.
The ones the Liberal party dont reject

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you went to Sydney then and drove you noticed how ****** it was there, some of it because of the problem of getting over bridges for the harbour.

Living east and west in perth is a 5-15 drive.

Living north or south is a nightmare and only going to get worse with the roe8 as it forces trucks onto the freeway and scraps our second fourth but most important north south freeway connecting stock road to Stirling.

Hopefully the growth forecasts are wrong though as it is a perfect size.

Oh, we can leave one other man, Andrew Denton, to interview me after I re-seed the seedy island of Doctor morose.
You also need Andrew Denton to make you look like a real catch.

3 people... me, the mrs, and a secret mistress for when the mrs annoys me.

More realistically, 12-15m will be suffice I think, given how much of the country isn't overly liveable friendly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back