Opinion What is the Best Rivalry in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

It has to be the Derby and Showdown. I think anything else is qualified hatred and the newer NSW and Qld rivalries don't quite have the history and the tension (and packed stadiums) behind them yet.

As much as I dislike some Victorian teams more than others and enjoy beating them, I'll barrack for them without hesitation in games where a win to them will be beneficial to Geelong (in terms of ladder position), especially if Geelong and their 'rivals' are at opposite ends of the ladder.

Collingwood and West Coast have had a great rivalry that has probably flown under the radar for a lot of people. There have been some epic encounters over the years. I always enjoy our games against them. Particularly when both sides are up and about.

Geelong & Hawthorn

The showdown a close second

West Coast & Collingwood is fun sometimes as well.

The Collingwood & Carlton rivalry is way too overrated.

It may not be the biggest, but the Port Adelaide - Adelaide rivalry is one of the better ones I think. It's born out of pure hatred from generations of SANFL supporters either supporting or loathing Port, and the way in which the Adelaide Footy Club was born from the SANFL in order to forestall Port abandoning the league and entering the AFL. It even ended up in court.

The head-to-head results stand at 27 to 26 Port's way, a remarkably close count after 25 years. There is also some folklore associated, like the big dust-up between the players at the Ramsgate Hotel in 2002. There have been some very close finishes in recent years:

• Round 16, 2015: Adelaide held on to win by 3 points, in the first match between the clubs since the death of Phil Walsh, long-time former Port assistant coach and senior Adelaide coach when he died.
  • Round 8, 2018: The Crows kicked 3 goals in 2 minutes to grab the lead with only seconds on the clock, only for Port to score and win the game.
  • Round 20, 2018: A borderline shot from Josh Jenkins late in the last quarter was ruled a goal but he and others thought it hit the post, and the Crows won by 3 points.
  • Round 3, 2022: Jordan Dawson's shot at goal after the siren looked set to miss before it came back to the right, winning Adelaide the game by 4 points.

Last edited:
Theres off-field rivalries, and on-field.

Despite plenty of close finishes, Collingwood and essendon doesn't really have a modern-day on field rivalry, it's mainly in the stands

On-field, the showdown is the most spiteful on field.

Cats and hawks had its moments (selwood with the "they pinched it" comments etc., but is now almost just another game

I enjoy watching the local ones. Crows v Port, WCE v Freo, Lions v Suns etc.

There is often some heat to the game.

Whilst it was annoying last week between the Blues and Pies, it’s reassuring to see that kind of heat amongst traditional rivals + those games can generally be 50/50 irrespective of ladder positions which indicates an on-field rivalry amongst players. There’s a level of uneasiness amongst supporters the week before as well where you just don’t know how the game will pan out.

I didn't know Essendon and Richmond was a big rivalry? Always thought it was no more a rivalry than Collingwood and Hawthorn, aka two big Melbourne clubs that always draw big crowds when they play, but aren't hated rivals.

I didn't know Essendon and Richmond was a big rivalry? Always thought it was no more a rivalry than Collingwood and Hawthorn, aka two big Melbourne clubs that always draw big crowds when they play, but aren't hated rivals.
All the big melbourne clubs hate each other, but I'd say because Richmond v Essendon has been so one sided it has probably died down a fair bit.
Richmond v Geelong is probably our biggest rivalry atm.

In the past 20 years it's the Showdown and Hawthorn vs Geelong. West Coast Sydney was brief, as was say Brisbane Collingwood. GWS and Bulldogs in terms of the animosity. Other than that there's nothing like the rivalries of old, Carlton Collingwood in the 70s, Hawthorn Essendon in the 80s, Carlton Essendon in the 90s etc. Derby is a rivalry just cos we're cross town rivals but the games generally aren't close/exciting, nor is there quite as much spite as the Showdown.

In the past 20 years it's the Showdown and Hawthorn vs Geelong. West Coast Sydney was brief, as was say Brisbane Collingwood. GWS and Bulldogs in terms of the animosity. Other than that there's nothing like the rivalries of old, Carlton Collingwood in the 70s, Hawthorn Essendon in the 80s, Carlton Essendon in the 90s etc. Derby is a rivalry just cos we're cross town rivals but the games generally aren't close/exciting, nor is there quite as much spite as the Showdown.
Geelong v Hawthorn has been pretty meh in the post Hawthorn premierships/Dangerfield at Geelong era, despite some very exciting Easter Monday games where Hawthorn have belied their lowly status.

I really think it's Showdown/Derby, then daylight, because they're the only ones that are ladder proof. Richmond supplanted Hawthorn as probably our most bitter rival almost immediately following Hawthorn's drop down the ladder and Richmond's ascendancy.

Interestingly with Geelong though, in the modern era where the Cats and Pies have won five premierships between them in 16 years, in each of those years they've met in The QF, PF or GF and we also met in finals in 2019 and 2020. I wonder if any other two clubs can top that (meeting seven times in finals) over the past 20-25 years, especially as we haven't doubled up in any years (i.e. QF, then GF, or a GF replay).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back