What should be done with David Hicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

madboy

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2000
Comfortable place on the couch
I'm just reading through the posts on this board, and I don't see a topic about this Australia's own traitor. So what do you people think?

Should we bring him here and execute him? Let the Yanks execute him? Can we execute him? Is he a traitor (as in has Australia actually declared war on Afghanistan)? Does our banning of the death penalty over-rule our legislation re traitors?

I personally don't know what to think. I'm against the death penalty, yet this guy's behaviour has me wanting his blood. I'm sort of confused by the whole issue. He's fighting for an army that is against Australian troops, yet (as I understand it) Australia hasn't formally declared war on Afghanistan. Or did I read that wrong? in any case, wtf?

from my understanding is that the death penalty hasnt totally been abloished,this is the only crime that can receive the death penalty in our country

I think that's right, the death penalty hasn't been abolished for treason.

However, I'm not sure that what he has done amounts to treason, given that Australia is not at war with Afghanistan.

Originally posted by Lethal
from my understanding is that the death penalty hasnt totally been abloished,this is the only crime that can receive the death penalty in our country

im not a fan of the death penalty. Not because it is 'cruel' or 'wrong'....but its just an easy way out for a bad criminal. I mean, i reckon if people on death row or people that have already been killed by the death penalty in the past had been asked the question "Would you rather spend the rest of your life in jail, or get the death penalty"....id say 85% of people would choose the death penalty.
I mean who wants to live the rest of their life in prison?? Id rather have 1 minute of pain and die than have 60 years of my life spent in a cell eating bread and water the rest of my life.

So in my opinion Death Penalty is the easy way out. There needs to be some sort of new death penalty which lasts longer than 1 minute. Like some sort of flesh eating virus that will mean the criminal will go thru 10 days of excruciating pain and torture as his skin and body is eaten by this virus/parasite.
Now THAT is a penalty.
Or having 20 guys take turns in thumping the crap out of him...but not so bad that he will die after one thumping....let him get thumped for 10 days before they kill him.

As remember it is called the Death PENALTY...not the death 'easy way out'.

Completely agree with Macca19

Life imprisionment, never to released, in solitary confinemnet with absolutely minmal priveleges (no TV, no newspapers, no education, no job, minmal books, no internet, severly restricted visitors) - is far worse and far more terrible punishment than the death penalty IMHO.

A dead criminal is not sorry, feels no remorse, has no opportunity to reflect on the enormity of their crime, cannot feel the vengence and wrath of the community, and is not conscious so cannot experience the pain and torment of punishment.

An executed criminal is just a lump of dead meat - what does that solve ?

Let them live, so they can suffer, I say

cheers

Why do we care ? All our reactions to this sorry tale shows life is worth nothing.

Remember some irish dides spent years in prison but were proved innocent of terrorism. Shame they didn't kill them too.

I may be wrong but I think he can be charged with something stupid like "taking up arms against Commonwealth troops".

Buggered if I know how he can be charged with treason, if war has not been declared on Afghanistan.

Pess, you are talking about Gerry Conlon and the Guildford Four, who were framed by a corrupt British legal system for an IRA bombing they were never involved in. The movie "In the name of the Father" is about it.

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel

Life imprisionment, never to released, in solitary confinemnet with absolutely minmal priveleges (no TV, no newspapers, no education, no job, minmal books, no internet, severly restricted visitors) - is far worse and far more terrible punishment than the death penalty IMHO.

Let them live, so they can suffer, I say

cheers

In some ways you're an even harder man than I am.

Not that I have any great problem with that.

If he is guilty I would just have him put out of his misery. No point in prolonging the pain that is his life.

But he won't be executed even if found guilty of treason.

The only offence that still carries the death penalty in Australia is Piracy*.

* I wonder if a people smuggler could be classified as a 'pirate'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought treason was still punishable by death in this country? :confused:

Oh well ... as far as i know ... Australia hasn't declared war on Afghanastan ... so it would be hard for a charge of treason to stick. I'm sure the Australian government will invent new laws to show-off to the Americans.

Originally posted by topdon
I thought treason was still punishable by death in this country? :confused:

Oh well ... as far as i know ... Australia hasn't declared war on Afghanastan ... so it would be hard for a charge of treason to stick. I'm sure the Australian government will invent new laws to show-off to the Americans.

New laws? New laws that are sure to be needlessly convoluted and difficult to understand (which I'm sure they will be after going through parliament)? Great, just what the country needs. If we invent new laws, you truly can expect the guy to spend life in prison, while his court case drags on and on...

What has he done against Australia? Sureley he joined Al Qaida as a Muslim fighting for his religion. Has he admitted to catually being involved with terrorism or has he just been in a training camp? If he was surrounded by Northern Alliance soldiers who said Afghans can go home but foreigners would be killed then surely self defence is not treason against anyone. I'd like to hear his story before passing judgement.

Originally posted by Frodo
What has he done against Australia? Sureley he joined Al Qaida as a Muslim fighting for his religion. Has he admitted to catually being involved with terrorism or has he just been in a training camp? If he was surrounded by Northern Alliance soldiers who said Afghans can go home but foreigners would be killed then surely self defence is not treason against anyone. I'd like to hear his story before passing judgement.

God help us all ... I agree with Frodo.

Now that's gotta be a first.

I agree with Frodo! Hold onto to your hats, it must be the end of the world! :D :D :D

David Hicks hasn't directly attacked or taken part in attacks on Australians or Australian interests as far as I know. As a few people have already mentioned I'd like to hear his side of the story before I pass judgment on him. Maybe if he is found gulity of treason the Government could revoke his Australian citizenship so he has to spend the rest of his life in Afghanistan or elsewhere but is not allowed to re-enter Australia.

I agree with Frodo as well, we don't really know what he has done apart from join Al Qaeda, and reading from all the arguments, it's hard to make a treason charge stick.

And Alf, welcome back to Bigfooty :D

I agree with Frodo too.

At least here we will probably react rationally to the situation demand he be sent back here and a sensible decision be made as to whether he has committed any crimes or not.

I can see a medium length jail term coming up

It may well be he just was a military nut or something. PLenty of them around.

Yeah, from what they've said in the paper, he doesn't appear to be the most mentally stable person, what with him being into Satanism at an early age, his extremely dark poetry etc.

Hopefully, some sort of help can be found for him, and if not for him, for others who might follow the same or a similar path and make the same decisions as him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back